What's new

Looking into greenhouses....where should i start?

I was pass down a property in palermo ca. The property has 7 acres a manufacture home and tons of sun light. Since im coming from indoors i dont know where to start. Can some of u norcal guys n gals show me where i can get one, what i should look out for or what i should have, considering its going to get real cold soon. I really need ur guyes opinions n experience.

I need to know
Where can i buy a greenhouse from? (Something big)
Because i know there is flaws to everything n one is not made the same as another.

What materials do i need? N where can i get it from?( will be trying to light dep)

What i should need or look out for when mold becomes an issue?
because its get awfully hot n a plastic covered anything will sweat out there.

Would artifical lighting be needed?

Can i still get a harvest before it gets to cold or is there a way i can get through the winter with a grow/harvest?

Heating n cooling?

Traps or cloths for blacking out? Because strong winds n heat will destroy it and the greenhouse lol i seen one half way broken crushing all the big beautiful ladies.....i dont want. That happening to me

I just want the best because if its not ill will be having to fix the issue to where it will cost as much as the best.

I need lots n lots of input n materiAl.lol

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
farmtek rules... I bought 2 small ones and 2 98 footers a few years back... the woven poly covers rock too.....I miss my greenhouses

Lol which one should i get there so many different ones
Something like 24 to 34 ft wide n 90ft long would be great
Do they make automated black out covers

Everyone must be busy with there own grow at this time
When u guys do have sometime please chime in n to help thank you

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
diy greenhouse

diy greenhouse

I have built two large greenhouses.

There are alot of co. out there that offer kits. We built a 30x60 by 12'high...with 3 guys. Took about a month to build. First we built up an engineered pad to raise the elevation to surrounding grade and to firmly place the support poles. We augered appox. 2'x4'holes filled with heavy slump concrete and gently placed the poles for line and height.
We pre assembled the trusses, make sure to follow directions to a tee. Used an extend a lift to place them.
Ours had motor driven roof vent, wet wall (swamp cooler), and shade tarp. We are in az. so the swamp cooler worked really well to cool it. Propane heaters on blower with fans to circulate.

wish I owned one for myself!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I already told ya ..farmtek/clearspan got all you need... I put up my greenhouses myself.. but I did have a bobcat with hole digger and my jeeps roof to stand on as I put up each section 4 ft at a time....I used hydronic heating ...a few pics are in supermanlives gallery

M

mr.shiva

I bent my own 20x40 & 20x100 this year. Works perfect with a "golden arm". I can bend a "rib" of a hoop about as fast as I can unload the fence top rail from the back of my truck. Took us 2 days to build the 100ft. Hoop benders don't cost much, make your own kit for about a 1/3 of the price & most of your material is sitting at Home Depot and easily fits in pickup, no semi truck delivery required. You should see what a farmtek delivery looks like, I don't think I've ever seen one delivered not damaged or missing parts, they do make it right after a phone call etc. Envirotech will waste a bunch of your time, I'd probably go rough brothers if I wanted something like that.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
its to late in the season to start a light dep. there is no need the days are getting shorter and the plants in a greenhouse will flower automatically without blacking it out

sho

Veteran
Check my thread in here for a step by step photos (kinda) of a Farmtek Pro Roll Form (discontinued now unfortunately, as it's better than the strapped conduit houses IMO). Farmtek was great to work with, I picked it up myself, but no missing parts here. Took a tow behind man lift and about 4 guys that really had a sense of what was going on. It's the biggest erector set you'll ever get. If I had to do it over id make sure I had a 4x4 man lift that's not the goofy articulating style. It worked but it was slow moving the lift with the truck and not getting the "perfect" lift in some places to do the work needed. But it got done.

All finished I sunk about $8k into the kit and another $10k in misc. expenses

theJointedOne

Veteran
for dep? first time? might as well make it easy and cheap, just in case....

20ft sticks of pvc

rebar

gorilla tape

in the spring and fall you need quality plastic, there is a good brand off Amazon and some spots in sohum carry it too (not that 1 year home depot shit)

some fans

panda

boooooooooom

hopingsoul

I sure would like some help. My husband put up a greenhouse with PVC and such. Now I don't know what to cover it with. Plastic? (too hot?) Shade cloth (blocks too much sun?) mosquito netting (kind of flimsy and not sturdy) Aluminum window screen?? Thank you for your repsonses. I have been reading every one's advice and I so appreciate this forum. For me, this is my first post. I love growing.

Nes

a lot depends on your climate and intentions.
The usual goal of greenhouse production is season extension. light deping is season shortening though. Our dep (link in signature) only uses pvc frames with no clear plastic, as its pretty hot up here in the day time and we don't want to ventilate sealed hoophouses.
If you are going for season extension, I'd ask how much you want to extend your season, and how much you want to put into your greenhouse. Some folks run perpetual cycles in their greenhouses though the winters. If you are going to run in winter, depending on your climate, you'll likely need to be heating the greenhouse, which doesn't make much sense without insulating it as well. Insulating a poly-hoophouse can be achieved with 2 layers of plastic and a small squirrel cage blower that forces air from the inside of the greenhouse to inbetween the two layers of poly-greenhouse film.
Heating can be done with propane powered industrial greenhouse heaters, or with wood like in a rocket-mass heater like these guys did.

There are tons of greenhouse designs out there, including awesome earthsheltered ones built into hillsides.
here are some links:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Sunspace/NMHoopHouseCR-606.pdf -this is a good guide on standard hoop-house construction
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Sunspace/sunspaces.htm#Guides - this is a huge assortment of greenhouse designs
http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/Tunnel_Conference_2012/BlomgrenCaterpillarTunnels.pdf - These are a simple, inexpensive and temporary design for easily ventable "caterpillar tunnels"
https://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_High_Tunnels_2008-01pr.pdf here's another hoophouse pdf

For more info, I'd check with your local extensions agency, they'll have good info on greenhouse growing in your area

Cartel530

Veteran
make sure you get something rated for heavy wind and snow. We get some heavy ass storms and 100 mile an hour winds during the winter. I have spots above and below you