What's new

Looking for wide angle

Ruosk

I'm looking for a reasonably priced wide angle lens for my Canon 1000D. What I need is a lens that gives a sense of depth and steep perspective...

Been thinking about getting a Sigma 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 EX DG ASPHERICAL or Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG RF, it could get one for $300-400. What do you guys think, is this any good? What other options there are in this price range?

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ruosk I have the Sigma 17-70mm macro and it is one of my favorites for shooting cannabis on my 50D. there are some images in this album that have both numbers 17 and 70 in thier file names that were shot with this lens..good luck DD

Ruosk

Thanks man. Those are some nice and crispy shots you got there.. Some other sample pics I found with reviews show that the lens seems to perform pretty well in outdoors too. Might buy one if I get a good deal.

Then again, I just found a nice deal on Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. Too much choice nowadays :D

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ruosk I have the sigma 10-20..I think you will be unhappy with it if you choose to go that route for pot. It is not very useful for cannabis, you can not get clost enough to get good images of buds and colas. I have used mine very little for cannabis, though for outdoor , landscape, and such it is OK. DD

Ruosk

Yeah, I'm buying one mostly for architecture and landskapes. Good info though, Sigma 17-70mm's go for pretty cheap so I'll probably just get both, should be a good all-rounder.

Since you have 10-20mm too, can you comment on it's optical quality and such? How well and fast does the autofocus work? Thanks again!

stupidmonkey

I also have the sigma 17-70 wide angle. Takes great shots with my d90. You get about 8 inches away then crank up the zoom, quick re-focus and blam. Can zoom all the way in to see trichs! Id love to find some kind of macro focus ring to thread onto the end. That would be sweet!

Oh, and as far as perspective, when you're all the way in, there's a good bit of wide angle distortion. Took a shot of the vegas strip from the bridge, one of my favorite shots. Like the buildings are coming towards you.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ruosk the optical quality of the 10-20 is very good. I have had no problems with the auto focus, I'm not shooting moving objects with it so I can not really describe the speed of the focus. StupidMonkey..welcome to IC Mag..I use a 12mm and 20mm extension tubes with my 17-70mm for macro work..good luck..DD

krk

attachment.php