What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for HPLC, LC/MS, GC/MS equipment? I would love to help!

JackatMckSci

Hey!

I work for a small company that does refurbishments on LC/MS, HPLC, and GC/MS equipment and would love to help any lab save money by providing leasing information or quotes to outright buy refurbished equipment that meets the manufacturer's new instrument specifications!

I also have everything in between from centrifuges to shakers!

Cheers, Jack

JackatMckSci

So what does a HPLC cost?

That would depend on a few factors. The detector you want to use (DAD, PDA, MWD, or even MS) and the amount of money you'd ideally like to spend.

My personal recommendation is the Agilent 1100 system with a Diode-Array Detector (DAD). They have been around for some time, but the parts are easy to replace in the event it malfunctions and it's still very reliable. That kind of system will run somewhere in between $21-30k depending on warranty, installation, training, detector type, if the software and PC are included. All my systems include the software, PC, installation, 1/2 day familiarization training, and 90 day warranty.

Others reliable systems include the Shimadzu ADvp system, which is on the same cost bracket as the 1100.

If you wanted to move up to something nicer, the Agilent 1200 and Shimadzu Prominence system are great options and one step up from the ADvp/1100. I try to steer people away from these, not because they are bad, but because they can get the results they want at the cost of the 1100 or ADvp system.

I haven't put any of these into cannabis testing labs but a Perkin Elmer 200 series is also an option and runs in the $9-15k range.

There are also LC/MSD options as well as all-in-one LC systems like the Waters Alliance 2695 or Shimadzu LC2010 system.

You basically get-what-you-pay-for, as much as I hate saying that. If you want a high sensitivity, it's going to cost more for the detector. From what I've listened to about some of the GC/MS systems that are specifically targeted for the cannabis industry right now, [it's difference is in exterior function(s)] some end-users are really unhappy with the quality of the system and they feel that it won't provide quality test results once the testing laws become more stable/firm or when the FDA possibly steps in for testing regulations. The only reason they chose that system is because the price was so cheap and unfortunately they will more than likely have to replace that instrument in the near-future.

In my opinion, any HPLC, GC/MS, LC/MS that comes to market specifically targeting the cannabis industry is simply for marketing purposes. There are plenty of options that have been available for years that provide quality and consistent results.

Finally, keep in mind too that customer support/service should be considered when making a purchase like this! I absolutely hate hearing of labs acquiring a system only to be abandoned post-purchase!

Hope this helps! Thanks for the question, sorry for the long read!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
All my systems include the software

Such as Empower or whatever Chemstation edition and licenses - the same software as new? New new software, new old software? Hate to ask but usually those selling these are initially a little vague.

The standard equipped 1100 can be found under 20k from your competitors at labx. You know, with labs everywhere especially big pharma on the east coast dumping them.

Would the 2695 be sexy enough for cannabis purposes?

JackatMckSci

Such as Empower or whatever Chemstation edition and licenses - the same software as new? New new software, new old software? Hate to ask but usually those selling these are initially a little vague.

The standard equipped 1100 can be found under 20k from your competitors at labx. You know, with labs everywhere especially big pharma on the east coast dumping them.

Yep! For example, chemstation would be provided with an Agilent 1100 system. What we provide is the software installed on the PC, as well as a copy of the software for future use in case something came up. The software version will be the most recent version we're able to provide, which is typically the latest. Totally understand why you'd ask, it's a good thing to know, I didn't realize other companies would rip someone off on the software end!

I do see the 1100 systems under 20k, those prices don't include freight shipping and installation, which I've taken into account with my bracket pricing. These can cost a couple grand to ship alone.

Keep in mind that some of these are marked as only 'used' or work in great condition, whereas I guarantee ours to meet manufacturer specifications and work like-new. After installation, you're provided with a calibrated spec sheet showing the instrument working to those guaranteed specs. Another significant difference in my service is the warranty options, standard is 90 days, not 30 days as you see with the <20k systems. Options to extend to 12 months are also possible! These systems first came out in 1996 so having that next level of customer service can be very handy if something internally decides to crap out.

TL;dr My pricing estimate includes the complete service, not just the instrument

Would the 2695 be sexy enough for cannabis purposes?

Ohhh yeah, she'll work just fine with a 2996 PDA detector, assuming that you have an analytical background/experience. There was a cannabinoid study done in the past few years using the 2695/2996 system

Thanks for the great questions!

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Have you signed up/paid to advertise your services here on IC? If not the admin will ban you as spam until you do. Just a heads up.

damienbove

i need GCMS equipment

i need GCMS equipment

Hello Jack

I am interested in leasing/HP some used GCMS equipment, I would need a support contract with it and possibly some training.

I am wanting to test both liquids and gasses (we intend to use an organic wick to absorb the gas prior to testing)

Regards

Damien

p.s. I am not sure how to get hold of you but if you can private message me your contact details I can give you a ring.

Hey!

I work for a small company that does refurbishments on LC/MS, HPLC, and GC/MS equipment and would love to help any lab save money by providing leasing information or quotes to outright buy refurbished equipment that meets the manufacturer's new instrument specifications!

I also have everything in between from centrifuges to shakers!

Cheers, Jack