What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

looking for big tupperware that stays as airtight as jars do?

JohnnyToke

these work really well and come in several different sizes. most local pet store chains carry them.

"Vittles Vault" << plug this into search engine for pics

T

TREE KING

these work really well and come in several different sizes. most local pet store chains carry them.

"Vittles Vault" << plug this into search engine for pics

im liking the Vittles Vault idea johnny thanks im gonna check them out. i like how they specifically say airtight/watertight on them

jd4083

Veteran
The short answer is that such a thing does not exist. There's no Tupperware-type product with plastic-on-plastic seals (or even rubber-on-plastic) that will ever seal as well as glass; plastic is far more porous.

I've actually used tupperware containers to "quick cure" (so to speak) without the need to burp because it does allow so much air into the container, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for.

I will say that Tupperwares and the like seal much more effectively when they are new; after they have been heated (by a dishwasher or a microwave, for example) they tend to lose their "airtight" quality very quickly.

T

TREE KING

The short answer is that such a thing does not exist. There's no Tupperware-type product with plastic-on-plastic seals (or even rubber-on-plastic) that will ever seal as well as glass; plastic is far more porous.

I've actually used tupperware containers to "quick cure" (so to speak) without the need to burp because it does allow so much air into the container, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for.

I will say that Tupperwares and the like seal much more effectively when they are new; after they have been heated (by a dishwasher or a microwave, for example) they tend to lose their "airtight" quality very quickly.
ok so now i know i appreciate you taking the time to explain. quick question though, if i stored my weed in a bucket with a gamma seal lid could i store it longer than using vacuum seal bags or are they pretty much the same?

i think this thread has given me plenty of other options so i should be all set. i appreciate all the help guys

JohnnyToke

What you speak of "tupperwares" is true however I am speaking from personal experience on the "Vittles Vault" I referred the OP to, and they are airtight, watertight and smell free.

I keep some very pungent strains in these Vittles Vaults by the elbow and have for several years now. I am speaking from personal experience on this particular item and I have pretty much tried everything plastic based. The vittles vaults with Gamma lids are the only plastic storage containers I have found that work for keeping the smell under wraps. :good:

edit: I have never run these through a dishwasher nor would I. Can't think of any reason one would. Rubber seals on my older ones work just as good as the newer ones.

moonwalkr1

I can PROMISE...tightvac is not the way to go. Out of 4 tightvacs, only one was airtight. It failed a month later. After one person pulls the top up without pressing the button, they begin to fail.....And they are expensive.

Those tupperwares are legit and work well, but I still prefer mason jars (just b/c I feel guaranteed they are 100% airtight).

I think a lot of you are missing the point here....curing is about the exchange of oxygen. O2. A lot of things that claim to be "air tight" actually still exchange gasses right through the plastic. You need a special coating to actually be truly air tight. Lok Sac bags, same as the "smelly proof" bags. If you think about it, the particles that escape platics that you can smell are bigger than the molecules and atoms of gas, so if the smell can get out, even a tiny bit, your O2 is also getting exchanged. If you don't stop the exchange of Oxygen, your not really "curing". I'm sure the "airtight" containers "work", but they will not cure bud like a glass jar or one of the above mentioned Loksak bags.

Just to test any container, put something really stinky, either really good pot, or maybe stinky fish or cheese, wait a few days, then put your nose right up the seams and the plastic itself...if you smell anything, it's not "air tight" at all.

I get my 1 gal mason jars from uline.com

noticed in their catalog they sell hdpe pails that will accept gamma lids, which they also sell. they also have screw top pails from 1.25 to 6.5 gal. They are listed as vacuum tight. Not sure if that might meet peoples needs.

I may pick a few up as my yields are going up and it would be nice to stabilize the RH before final trim and sticking into the 1 gal jars to cure.