What's new

Looking for a solution to my potassium deficient soil

M

Mountain

I eventually did get to talk to Farmer Brian and said that yeah the claim of 6% available P was highly questionable and more like SRP. We didn't get into the heavy metal thing too much but know you posted that PDF Coot and think that covers it? I don't use SRP or TB and threw it out there for someone to wring it out as I got other things to focus on.

Never was attached to anything. Mainly went off Farmer Brian's original rec as an alternative and honestly never looked into it too much.

I pulled this off of Midwestern Bio-Ag's site. Farmer Brian is/was associated with Gary Zimmer and may have done the actual testing?

Tennessee Brown Rock Phosphate

Tennessee Brown Rock Phosphate has an analysis of 3% water soluble P2O5 with a total phosphate (both soluble and insoluble) of 21-25%. Tennessee Brown Rock contains about 20% calcium along with a full spectrum of trace minerals at low levels. It is OMRI listed and allowed for use in organic agriculture.

Tennessee Brown Rock (TBR) is one of the cleanest phosphates of any source tested by Midwestern Bio-Ag.

TBR is slow-release phosphorus, primarily used as a soil corrective by farmers who are trying to increase phosphorus levels in their soil. It is generally applied at a rate of 300-500 lbs per acre each year until soil phosphorus levels improve. A soil test can tell you if you are going in the right direction and when you have sufficient phosphorus levels in your soil.
Application tip:

TBR should be spread with a lime or wide apron spreader. An apron width of 18" or greater on a spreader cart should be used to spread this material effectively.

I don't know what cleanest means and this issue not important enough for me to take up Farmer Brian's time and get all the details straightened out. Seems you got it figured out though.

Scrappy4

Veteran
just a heads up I scraped the sul-po-mag and just started using kelp meal to much k locking out

Good catch. I used a bit much sul po mag myself. I believe it was a cup per cf. I did not notice any negatives until I sprayed with seaweed extract. I checked my notes and had the same thing happen after using seaweed on the grow before, so i concluded it was the sul po mag. For the rest of the grow I backed off K sources and the crop was alright, but it is something to be aware of.....scrappy

I'm finishing up a super soil crop right now and they finished beautifully with no deficiencies to speak of. They are all faded nicely and ripening up really well. Yield looks to be very good too.

I'm no expert, but I realized not long ago that Roots has a lot of coco coir in it. And from reading the coco forum here at ICMag, I've learned that as coco breaks down it has a tendency to release K. Which is why coco specific nutrients and formulas like H34d's recipe cut back on K. In addition, the Roots bag lists kelp meal as one of the ingredients. So maybe the kelp meal and the coco breakdown ends up being enough?

I'm just curious if one of the experts here can confirm or disconfirm that suspicion?

brandt.jpg

I'm finishing up a super soil crop right now and they finished beautifully with no deficiencies to speak of. They are all faded nicely and ripening up really well. Yield looks to be very good too.

I'm no expert, but I realized not long ago that Roots has a lot of coco coir in it. And from reading the coco forum here at ICMag, I've learned that as coco breaks down it has a tendency to release K. Which is why coco specific nutrients and formulas like H34d's recipe cut back on K. In addition, the Roots bag lists kelp meal as one of the ingredients. So maybe the kelp meal and the coco breakdown ends up being enough?

I'm just curious if one of the experts here can confirm or disconfirm that suspicion?

Any of you experts have any thoughts? I'm curious about this.

C

CC_2U

I don't know what cleanest means and this issue not important enough for me to take up Farmer Brian's time and get all the details straightened out. Seems you got it figured out though.

Mountain

The SRP source that gets the most scrutiny and criticism is the mine in Florida - Calphos is the product name.

For what it's worth.

CC