What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for a security camera with live viewing capabilities that is not connected to a corporate cloud

X15

You would need to have a static IP or pay for a static IP mask. Then, any pro solution works, as they fully customisable. HikVision and Dahua are some good ones.
They also have their own static ip replacement service where you access it through an account on their platform (usually included for free), if you wish. The video doesnt get on their platform tho, it's just a redirect so you can contact your dvr if you don't have a static IP assigned by the internet provider. You can also encrypt the video and the account also has a password. Basically, it's safe enaugh for 99.99% of the stuff and any leo that would potentially get a backdoor into that would have trouble using it in a court of law, as it's illegally obtained, you got to decide if that suits you as well. If hackers are the ones you are trying to avoid, the static IP makes no diference.
Thank you for that info!
Yeah I’m more concerned with the first.

trouthugger

Still a little confused by the high-tech suggestions being provided. I'm not very tech-savy, at least with networks.

Is the best route for legal/leo avoidance to use 3rd party software from cams like Wyze or to use an IP cam?

xet

Wifi/bluetooth is really easy to snipe. Closed circuit is the way to go (I don't believe wireless transmission adheres to true CC unless you are strictly using a virtual machine to log into your CC system in which case enough onion layering could render it more than secure)

Reactions: Gry

ridoo

look at grove system by seeed studio, it is like arduino but easier, you can find plenty of examples and way to use them, the coding is very easy, I bet someone with enought motivation and little money to invest can buy a perfect watching cam/recorder and many options to use also....

St. Phatty

Still a little confused by the high-tech suggestions being provided. I'm not very tech-savy, at least with networks.

Is the best route for legal/leo avoidance to use 3rd party software from cams like Wyze or to use an IP cam?

It's a matter of finding the right instructor.

Most tech stuff is very common sense.

But sometimes people Vomit a whole bunch of high tech stuff when they're trying to be useful.

At least they're not making you sing the RoyGBiv song.