What's new

Looking for a job in Canada

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Sorry to be a killjoy. But you have a few hurdles to overcome buddy.
  1. You can only get a work visa if the job can't be filled by a Canadian. We have more growers than any country.
  2. If you have a criminal record, you can't get a work visa. Especially if it's drug related.
  3. If you have a criminal record, you can't work in the Cannabis industry. Everyone working for an LP needs Security Clearance. That also means if you have bad credit, you won't get security clearance. Even if you are a Canadian, you can't work for an LP unless you have a clean criminal record (there's a little wiggle room here on credit, but not much.).
  4. You can only get a visa if you have LOTS of money and are willing to open a business, and have the education to match. If you have all that, see items 2 & 3.
That said, you can apply to a foreign workers program. Some farms, especially spring to end of summer, could take you on. But be warned, it's back breaking work picking fruits and vegetables. Again, a criminal record will probably disqualify you.

A typical visa can take years, and even if you are clean, it probably will be denied unless you have a mountain of cash to pay for a good immigration lawyer. If you can match #4 above, maybe only a year.

I have an acquaintance who is a US citizen, a degree in engineering and communications, a Canadian wife and child here, and it's going to take him a year or two to get a landed immigrant visa. He has a work visa because he has an office here. But that can evaporate anytime.

It's easier to get into the USA. Note that Trump has said "We should have an immigration system like Canada." because it's merit based as opposed to wide open like the USA.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
  1. You can only get a work visa if the job can't be filled by a Canadian. We have more growers than any country.
  2. If you have a criminal record, you can't get a work visa. Especially if it's drug related.
  3. If you have a criminal record, you can't work in the Cannabis industry. Everyone working for an LP needs Security Clearance. That also means if you have bad credit, you won't get security clearance. Even if you are a Canadian, you can't work for an LP unless you have a clean criminal record (there's a little wiggle room here on credit, but not much.).
  4. You can only get a visa if you have LOTS of money and are willing to open a business, and have the education to match. If you have all that, see items 2 & 3.
That said, you can apply to a foreign workers program. Some farms, especially spring to end of summer, could take you on. But be warned, it's back breaking work picking fruits and vegetables. Again, a criminal record will probably disqualify you.

A typical visa can take years, and even if you are clean, it probably will be denied unless you have a mountain of cash to pay for a good immigration lawyer. If you can match #4 above, maybe only a year.

I have an acquaintance who is a US citizen, a degree in engineering and communications, a Canadian wife and child here, and it's going to take him a year or two to get a landed immigrant visa. He has a work visa because he has an office here. But that can evaporate anytime.

It's easier to get into the USA. Note that Trump has said "We should have an immigration system like Canada." because it's merit based as opposed to wide open like the USA.
Yo tycho,

1. I am not looking for a growers position, Im looking for an agronomist position, and open to crops other than cannabis too. I hope that if approched by someone with interest, I could prove my unique values.

2. I am looking into the lawyer thing. It is not free, but thats life. By Canadian regulation, the canadian law is to be considered when judging criminal past activities, not the one in the country it was commited in. I sure it wont go easy, but it seems like a fair option for me to try at this point.
And a job offer, related to my field of expertise, should really help getting a visa.
Also, im not in a hurry.

3. Whats a LP?

Im not looking to be a farm worker at the moment, it doesnt meet my salary requirements.

I dont have lots of money, just hope and will to try.

And obviously I am still in need of much research.

Thanks for the input

Fonz

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Can't blame a fellow for trying :)

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
As for other crops, Canada has a wide range geographically. Coming from Israel, the weather will be a massive shock so pick your crop wisely. East for fruit trees and potatoes, Quebec for maple syrup, Ontario for wine grapes, fruit trees, tomatoes, corn, western provinces for grains, BC’s Okanagan for fruit trees, wine grapes . . .

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So if you were busted in the past and have a criminal record due to marijuana … that would prohibit you from working in the marijuana industry? :D

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Maybe it would be easier to get a job on a Cruise ship. I don't think you're going to make to Canada. All the best are already there. Fonzy😎

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I forgot something important: You MUST have a job before you come. The best way to be denied entry is to say you're looking for a job.

In all honesty, it would be more productive to push for legalization in your country. Get on a soap box and start convincing people to join you to push politicians. And push hard. Ridicule them for being ignorant of the science.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Good luck, Fonz.

An LP is what we call a Licensed Cannabis Producer. To grow and/or produce cannabis products for medical or rec you must be licensed (and have deep pockets).

Here is the complete list from the gov't site: Licensed cultivators, processors and sellers of cannabis under the Cannabis Act
I see! If getting a permit is needed to work in such a place, it is likely I wont get it.
how commom are unlicensed grows?

As for other crops, Canada has a wide range geographically. Coming from Israel, the weather will be a massive shock so pick your crop wisely. East for fruit trees and potatoes, Quebec for maple syrup, Ontario for wine grapes, fruit trees, tomatoes, corn, western provinces for grains, BC’s Okanagan for fruit trees, wine grapes . . .
I also lived and studied in Germany, which is very different than Israel, but some things are kind of the same everywhere, like fertigation or greenhouse grows.
I dont know everything, but I do know some stuff that might not be common knowledge in Canada

​​​​​​​
So if you were busted in the past and have a criminal record due to marijuana … that would prohibit you from working in the marijuana industry? :D
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​​

I also think it should be counted as work experience. And even a formal one!

​​​​​​​
When applying for immigration. Don't mention you want to work with Cannabis.

Good Luck. :)
It seems like I couldnt, even if I want to, so yeh. But doing so under the radar still sounds fun

Maybe it would be easier to get a job on a Cruise ship. I don't think you're going to make to Canada. All the best are already there. Fonzy😎
Theres always room for improvment. And he who doesnt try will never succeed.

I am not that desperate to work on a ship yet.

I forgot something important: You MUST have a job before you come. The best way to be denied entry is to say you're looking for a job.

In all honesty, it would be more productive to push for legalization in your country. Get on a soap box and start convincing people to join you to push politicians. And push hard. Ridicule them for being ignorant of the science.
Yes, i know. This is why I posted here. it doesnt seem very hard to find a job in Canada from what ive looked so far.
Ive pushed for legalization in Israel quite a bit. I wouldnt stay there if weed was legal, this is not the main thing that bothers me in living there.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I see! If getting a permit is needed to work in such a place, it is likely I wont get it.
how commom are unlicensed grows?

Very.

Small personal grows are legal in most (but not all) provinces with no license or registration required. Personal medical grows (with higher plant count) are allowed with easy federal licensing which must be renewed annually. Medical patients can designate a grower to supply them - with easy federal licensing which must be renewed annually for patient and grower.

As soon as you want to grow to sell your product – whether for recreational or medical markets - the rules get deep and delicious and you must step up and get expensive federal licensing and already have a facility etc etc. Lots of time and money are required.

Of course, the black market still exists and accounts for around half of the cannabis sold in Canada, with the police still actively hunting it down.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Very.

Small personal grows are legal in most (but not all) provinces with no license or registration required. Personal medical grows (with higher plant count) are allowed with easy federal licensing which must be renewed annually. Medical patients can designate a grower to supply them - with easy federal licensing which must be renewed annually for patient and grower.

As soon as you want to grow to sell your product – whether for recreational or medical markets - the rules get deep and delicious and you must step up and get expensive federal licensing and already have a facility etc etc. Lots of time and money are required.

Of course, the black market still exists and accounts for around half of the cannabis sold in Canada, with the police still actively hunting it down.

Thanks for the info.
It sounds to me that breeding without any permit could be easy
or have a small grow next to you tomato greenhouse

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks for the info.
It sounds to me that breeding without any permit could be easy
or have a small grow next to you tomato greenhouse

Like I said... 2nd post wish you all the best as I didn't know it was as complicated as someone else posted (on both the immigration side and the growing side of things) TBS, as a landed immigrant, living in Canada you will have the right to grow 4 plants for personal consumption. TBS, with legalization, the penalties have increased 5-10 fold. For those who grow and consume IAW the "new laws" it is not a problem :)

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Like I said... 2nd post wish you all the best as I didn't know it was as complicated as someone else posted (on both the immigration side and the growing side of things) TBS, as a landed immigrant, living in Canada you will have the right to grow 4 plants for personal consumption. TBS, with legalization, the penalties have increased 5-10 fold. For those who grow and consume IAW the "new laws" it is not a problem :)
Thats not many plants at all