What's new

looking for a decent ph meter - need input please

stinky33

thanks for this thread. i thought i, with my generic meter, just sucked at pH'ing, but now I see there are probably only a few very good meters out there. thanks for the advice...time to upgrade.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did use the Milwaukee combo for a long time but the probes dont last long. They also seem cheaply made also had a special connection to the probe.

I just got my bluelab combo nice unit. Bluelab also makes a unit for continuous monitoring. The probes site in your res and displays all the time PH,EC.TEMP. I almost got that one but I wanted more portability.

greenduck

bought a Hanna 2 months ago and had to take it back because it wouldnt calibrate. dude gave me a new one ($120 value fyi) didnt work at all.

i think im going to go with a Bluelab or mini lab.

looks like its best to spend the money with the ease of mind. its frustrating so just spend wisely, its worth it.

C

CANNATOPIA

I Use Blue Lab & Love it. Its a rather pricey set but totally worth it in my opinion.

preciousdaisys

i ended up getting an oakton pHTestr 20 from my hydro store. it was about $140. seems to work fine. i'm going to recalibrate it tonite before checking my food mix.

the hydro store did carry another brand (i forget right at the moment) but, they said they were being returned alot so they're trying this company. the guy said that the previous meters were multifunctional and it seemed like they didn't work as well as meters that read ph only.

Space Case

Veteran
In my experience, most of the grow store stuff is hobby grade. The only good quality meter is Bluelab, everything else is just a toy. You get what you pay for, and thats the cost of a good dependable multimeter. Hanna is trash IMO, my Hanna meter needs to be calibrated weekly.

That said, I have had awesome luck with the eco pH2 meters for something cheap ($70-85). They go a while before needing calibration and aren't usually off by much! Plus, they only do one thing, pH. So if it goes bad can toss it and it ain't a biggie. Sometimes its a pain, but it pays to have separate meters.

Mr.Meds

Blue Lab.
As with any probe, If they dry, they die. Keep your probe in storage solution like the instructions say.

jarff

The best ph pens I ever used were Oakton Ultra Basic @$70.00 +/-..I had one that lastest three yrs.But alas they stopped making them and came out with the PH1 and PH2 which I have now no luck with.
IMHO the only way to go is with an industrial ph pen that can handle strong chemicals of plant food. problem tho is they start at $500...I use an oakton that I calibrate at least once a week but I always have ph paper to make sure the pen is in range.....btw I take good care of my stuff,so the quality just ain,t there with cheap ph pens. Ask any hydro shop...I,m sure they have hundreds being returned yearly.It just isn,t right.
my 2 cents for what its worth...

jarff