What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

looking for a cheap yet quality vacuum set up

so if im gathering correctly, your water flows through the threaded endm and the barbed prong at the 90 green angle is attached to a hose to the vacuum chamber, and water flows out the other end through a drain hose. So as the water flows through it pulls the air through the 90 degree joint and creates the vacuum and the water drains out the other side. Thats the basic concept? Think i am understanding. If i were to connect the hose connecting to the 90* angle to a mason jar as the vacuum chamber, how would i do that for a good seal? use a joint from like an airstone or bubble bucket, i dont know what they call those things, the little plastic barbed things the hose attaches to, and use an epoxy to seal it into the lid of the jar? With a set up like this, how much of a vacuum could i pull?

nvm i just reread gray wolfs post, i could pull a vacuum of about 24 mm/Hg. Using colder water what do you think i could max out at? also, how much water has to flow through to create the vacuum? im just thinking about this as a way to try out a vacuum purge on personal batches to try and make a more educated decision on making a more elaborate set up.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so if im gathering correctly, your water flows through the threaded endm and the barbed prong at the 90 green angle is attached to a hose to the vacuum chamber, and water flows out the other end through a drain hose. So as the water flows through it pulls the air through the 90 degree joint and creates the vacuum and the water drains out the other side. Thats the basic concept? Think i am understanding. If i were to connect the hose connecting to the 90* angle to a mason jar as the vacuum chamber, how would i do that for a good seal? use a joint from like an airstone or bubble bucket, i dont know what they call those things, the little plastic barbed things the hose attaches to, and use an epoxy to seal it into the lid of the jar? With a set up like this, how much of a vacuum could i pull?

I modified a lid with a 1/8" bulkhead fitting like this.

Attachments

• Vacuum purging in hot water and a fruit jar-1-1.jpg
    Vacuum purging in hot water and a fruit jar-1-1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 11
hey everyone, thought id pop in here just to let you guys know that i was able to snag a brake bleeder pump for 20 bucks, and hooked it up to a mason jar. This was just a cheap way for us to try and figure out if we wanted to invest in an electric vacuum pump. We have decide that it will be purchased soon :)...heres a few shots of my work

Attachments

• P1011599.jpg
    P1011599.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 5
  • P1011613.jpg
    P1011613.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P1011614.jpg
    P1011614.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
those first two pictures look fire compared to anything ive ever seen you post. hell ya now your shits proper! did you whip it into that in the last pic or did it budder on its own?

either way very nice you should be proud!:woohoo:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Was just browsing vacuums at feebay (not excited about going to Harbor Freight for Chinese junk, or to Johnstone for a Yellow Jacket) and saw a link to a simple chamber design (that I have no affiliation to in any way), being sold for other applications.
!CEUHltQEGk~$(KGrHqMOKjEE0iJb6g80BNRdF6lz4!~~_12.JPG

those first two pictures look fire compared to anything ive ever seen you post. hell ya now your shits proper! did you whip it into that in the last pic or did it budder on its own?

either way very nice you should be proud!:woohoo:
:thank you::thank you:
hell yea dude thanks a lot! im way pumped about this stuff! almost too pumped cuz its almost gone :(
and i didnt whip that last one..it was a nice honeycomb that i transferred cuz it was falling off my parchment :p

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
enjoy my friend it looks nice and fully purged. do you keep your personal stash in the form of the first two pictures(sap) or the last(budder)?

what strain also? do tell on flavors:)

thats a whole bunch of chocolate chunk. I had a plant hermie on me, so i had to chop it at about 5 weeks, so it got made into oil :).
too be honest, it depends on my mood, and that first one was more of a taffy, had almost a bit of a snap too it, and has since turned to a budder. I like to have a variety of consistencies, sometimes its nice to be able to smoosh together a fat BHOmb of budder to drop on the 18 mm nail, but i am a sucker for a nice glassy sap

hammalamma

Veteran
Was just browsing vacuums at feebay (not excited about going to Harbor Freight for Chinese junk, or to Johnstone for a Yellow Jacket) and saw a link to a simple chamber design (that I have no affiliation to in any way), being sold for other applications.View Image
That's the same pump at Harbor freight.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
My mate just uses a vacuum foodsaver, with a nipple attached to a tight seal lid and a pyrex bowl and a silicon vacuum hose. The foodsaver was cheap and seems to work fine for this needing no modification having a nipple for hose already. The oil is in the pyrex and this get placed in a bowl of warm water to keep the oil from going solid and locking butane in and vac till only tiny terpenes bubbles are coming off and butane is gone. You can smell the point of start terpene liberation at the exit of vac pump.
But if you want to do vacuum filtering or distillations later get a proper vac pump and dont f-around, do your research.. Try https://www.labx.com/

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was just browsing vacuums at feebay (not excited about going to Harbor Freight for Chinese junk, or to Johnstone for a Yellow Jacket) and saw a link to a simple chamber design (that I have no affiliation to in any way), being sold for other applications.

Hee, hee, hee, good point GJ! it looks like someone has been paying attention to the new use of these chambers and is trying to take advantage of the market window. Looking at the price of heavy walled pots and Lexan, at a competitive price as well.

The chamber alone is cheaper than what I paid for our glass lab dessicator, of smaller size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Gallon-Vacuum-Chamber-With-3-CFM-Vacuum-Pump-New-/130690001230?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item1e6dbb294e#ht_1811wt_932

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Gallon-Vacuum-Chamber-for-Silicone-and-Resin-Casting-/130690140675?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item1e6dbd4a03#ht_1503wt_932

mack 10

Veteran
Great thread, Love that honeycomb texture, i've been thinking about getting a vac pump, i think i'll try the ghetto jar method first, looks to of purged up real nice! mack.

My mate just uses a vacuum foodsaver, with a nipple attached to a tight seal lid and a pyrex bowl and a silicon vacuum hose. The foodsaver was cheap and seems to work fine for this needing no modification having a nipple for hose already. The oil is in the pyrex and this get placed in a bowl of warm water to keep the oil from going solid and locking butane in and vac till only tiny terpenes bubbles are coming off and butane is gone. You can smell the point of start terpene liberation at the exit of vac pump.
But if you want to do vacuum filtering or distillations later get a proper vac pump and dont f-around, do your research.. Try https://www.labx.com/

does anyone know where to get the pyrex dishes and lid for a food saver vacuum sealer?
i have all i see are plastic ones

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Get silicon tubing and a threaded stainless or brass nipple, make a small hole in the plastic lid and thread it in..Seal around nipple with silicon. OR use a thick wall quart canning jar, drill a hole in the flat part of the 2 piece lid, insert nipple and solder to seal or silicon. Just inspect jar well for blemishes first and vacuum behind a perspex screen if you can (Get offcuts from your local suplliers bin and make one) for safety..