What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for a bit of car wiring help??? Anyone???

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey All :D

Got a bit of a sticky wicket I've stepped into and looking for the best place to find the info I'm looking for. (Searches have just left me baffled)

I have two doors that I'm replacing on a car and they have power everything. The doors came from a ford and are being put on a Merc. (Same parts, Yadda Yadda.)

My issue is that the wiring is different colors. Gah! I'm not exactly a pro at the wiring stuff either. I don't have any problems doing the physical work I just get really confused easily with wiring I'm not familiar with. (Computers are not a problem)

Does anyone have any keen insight as to where I might find wiring diagrams/info for both cars I have so I can match the wiring colors up? I'd REALLy like to be able to roll the windows down. LOL

Much appreciated for any help. :D

strydr

Did the wires come with the connecting ends, or did they just cut the wires? If it has the connector ends, it should be the same (just snap together) if not, you might need to trace each wire to where it terminates (on the window switch, for example). With that, you could find a diagram for the wiring in the car, and mate them up.

BTW, what year is the car/donor doors? Lots of manuals can be found online, you just need to know where to look (depends on the year) If you know anyone who works for a car dealer, they can get you much more detailed diagrams as well.

Anyway, not the answer you were looking for, but we need more info...
:joint:

CoonLover

Ford and Mercury I would think they would use the same wiring scamatic's.
What year is your Merc and what year is the Donor car?

When I threw in a 99 Civic SiR cluster is my 92 eg, I just went down to the Honda dealership and asked if I could view the Factory Wiring Diagram books and they were cool as hell and even aloud me to photo copy like 20 pages on their copier for free.
Over a lunch I switched 45 pins into the plug.

Get me the years and makes of both and I'll see what I can do..

OR

You can always pull out the switches and harness and throw it in the new door. Can't imagine they would be different connectors.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Did the wires come with the connecting ends, or did they just cut the wires? If it has the connector ends, it should be the same (just snap together) if not, you might need to trace each wire to where it terminates (on the window switch, for example). With that, you could find a diagram for the wiring in the car, and mate them up.

BTW, what year is the car/donor doors? Lots of manuals can be found online, you just need to know where to look (depends on the year) If you know anyone who works for a car dealer, they can get you much more detailed diagrams as well.

Anyway, not the answer you were looking for, but we need more info...
:joint:
No connecting ends, just cut wires.

The door innards are exactly the same, just different colors on the wires.
93 Crown Vic is the donor
92 Grand Marquis is the running vehicle.

car dealer, eh? Might have to go that route.

Anyone know the best way to go about testing the wires with a battery or something to figure out which ones are the window leads and which ones are the doors? I have a multi-meter if that helps.

CoonHunter: Awesome! Hoping I get the same response if I end up going that route.

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
You can't find the wiring diagrams anywhere online ?

I would assume you need diagrams for both vehicles if you are already running into matching color issues.

What's the MMY of each vehicle, maybe collectively we can come up with something.

EDIT:

Here's a link to a Ford Forum, the link goes right to the Marquis section directly....Looks like lots of info.

LINK

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
You'd need copies of the factory service manuals for both vehicles.

I found one online for my car rather easily. Made installing an iPod adapter to my OEM head unit a breeze...

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
It is only wires running from a switch, to a motor...with a hot in there somewhere-- Just re-run them-- Can't be all that hard--

CoonLover

these guys have them online
http://www.wiring-diagram.com
they charge $5.99 for specific diagrams or $12.99 for the complete diagram for the whole car (each car)

from $5.99
for vehicles sold in North America from 1985 to 2008.
Engine, Transmission, Stereo, A/C, Starting/Charging, Lighting,
Body Control, Cruise Control, Headlights, Computer Data Lines,
Instrument Cluster, Memory Systems, Power Distribution,
SRS, Wiper/Washer, Horn, Warning Systems,
Power Windows/Doors/Mirrors/Seats

+more - you name it and we can probably find it for you!
Also Available:
only $6.99
for vehicles sold in the US & Canada from 1960 to 1984.
(Original Factory Sheets)

Fastest Service ... as fast as 30-minutes:
Priority Service: Wiring Diagrams 1985-2008 If you need your diagrams really fast ... usually in less than 30-minute:.
---Includes complete set of diagrams for selected vehicle within years 1985-2008.
Guaranteed delivery within 4-hours! Cost: $19.99
Standard Service ... for those not in a big hurry:
Complete Vehicle: Wiring Diagrams 1985-2006 This is for those who need the complete set of diagrams for a single vehicle.
(for vehicles sold in North America from 1985-2006)
Guaranteed delivery within 24-hours. Cost: $12.99
Radio Circuits ... if you only need the radio:
Basic Radio: Wiring Diagrams 1985-2006 Includes Factory Radio/Stereo, CD/DVD, Speakers & Entertainment System.
--- For the years 1985-2006 (vehicles sold in North America only).
Guaranteed delivery within 24-hours. Cost: $5.99
Vintage Vehicles ... for those hard to find original factory circuits:
Vintage Vehicles: Wiring Diagrams 1966-1984 This is for those who need the original manufacturer factory sheets
for vintage vehicles 1966-1984 (these are the original black & white circuits).
Guaranteed delivery within 24-hours. Cost: $6.99
Diagnostic & Repair Articles available ... if you need more than diagrams:
Diagnostic & Repair: Article Repair articles are available for most major components (vehicles 1985-2007).
Click - HERE - for a list of available articles.
Please email us at info@wiring-diagram.com to check availability before ordering.
Guaranteed delivery within 12-hours. Cost: $24.99

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Holy Shit!

Thanks everyone :D

I'll definitely get this licked.

The only real issue I have is that I'm a high functioning Autistic (no pun intended LOL) and this is one of those things I seem to have a 'block' about in my head. Heh.

Soooooo amazing to me to sit down to a complicated task that makes people go buggo and just whip right through it, only to turn around and be completely baffled by something simple that people say "Oh that's so easy, you just......"
This wiring is too simple and it's confusing the crud outta me. ROTFL

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Standard Service ... for those not in a big hurry:
Complete Vehicle: Wiring Diagrams 1985-2006 This is for those who need the complete set of diagrams for a single vehicle.
(for vehicles sold in North America from 1985-2006)
Guaranteed delivery within 24-hours. Cost: $12.99

Just ordered one for each car. I have a ton of stuff to re-wire on the main car anyway so figured what the hell. :) It's getting hot and I need to roll those dang windows down. LOL

I thought it was going to be $19.99 each but read it wrong..... Nice that it was $12.99 each. Yaaaay! Thanks again CoonHunter :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
So....is the car/window running??
YES!!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Thank you thank you, one and ALL :D

No fires and everything that's supposed to work does. Still have a few items to finish up but will be doing that when I replace the other doors.:yoinks:

The wiring diagrams are just peachy. I had to have my wife go through them, with some clarification from me, and write down exactly what color wire to match to what color wire. I could answer her questions as long as I wasn't looking at the schematics. Looking at them just makes me so confused I have to stop. LOL

Wired it up in about 20 minutes and it's sooooo nice to have a window down while you're driving. LOL

The $12.99 for the complete wiring manual is definitely worth the price. It's a PDF and is easily readable. The wires are in color and are also marked with the names of the colors so you can still use it when you print it out on a B&W printer like mine :D

CoonLover

So....is the car/window running??
YES!!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Thank you thank you, one and ALL :D

No fires and everything that's supposed to work does. Still have a few items to finish up but will be doing that when I replace the other doors.:yoinks:

The wiring diagrams are just peachy. I had to have my wife go through them, with some clarification from me, and write down exactly what color wire to match to what color wire. I could answer her questions as long as I wasn't looking at the schematics. Looking at them just makes me so confused I have to stop. LOL

Wired it up in about 20 minutes and it's sooooo nice to have a window down while you're driving. LOL

The $12.99 for the complete wiring manual is definitely worth the price. It's a PDF and is easily readable. The wires are in color and are also marked with the names of the colors so you can still use it when you print it out on a B&W printer like mine :D

Awesome!
Thats great news..

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
buy a multimeter they are like 5 bucks, i use mine ALL the time well worth the 5 bucks
I thought I mentioned I do have a multi-meter? How on earth would that help me if I don't understand how the car is wired???

Sorry but I take offense to people doing the same thing I do and that's respond to a thread without fully reading it. That'll teach me, eh? It's rubbing off on other people! AIIIIIiiiiiiii!

Latest posts

Latest posts