What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking at CO to retire

J

joeylupre

Hey good peeps. We are looking at CO to retire and looking at the western slope area.
Can anyone give some good bad on this area. What are these counties like and are there many dispensaries near by.

LubdaNugs

Veteran
The Western Slope is more conservative than the rest of the state, but should still be friendly for personal growth and consumption. I prefer the mountains to the slope, but you'll still be close to a lot of cool places. It gets hot in the summer, but the winters are a touch milder. Utah and Canyon Lands are just a hop skip and a jump away, which even though a Mormon state is still very cool. You should be able to get more for your money on the WS vs. the mountains which is nice, but there is a higher cowboy to normal folk ratio.gl

monsoon

Farmer's market for veggies....maybe. Weed? Nope. Not only does State law preclude/forbid such things, 70% of Delta county is Republican. (self-explanatory) There was a dispensary in Delta but I think they got ran out of town. Could be an ordinance er somethin'. In general terms the farther East you go the more liberal it is but overall it is that more rural way of life where everyone knows your business. Lots of retirees. Not any jobs. Oil and gas fracking is a huge concern and they are breathin hard at the door. There's a shitload of natural gas under there. If you look at Google Earth up by Rifle/Parachute you will see what they have done there. The south side of the mesa has just as much gas in reserve and is a part of the same formation. Might never happen, but you know how that money thing is. Fuckers don't leave any stone unturned when they get going.

Climate is great for weed. Prices for land have gone down but still aren't cheap considering there's no real way to make any income there for most people. Could work in your favor if you are bringing cash with you. Just depends how much, as always.

nice area for sure. Hopefully it will stay that way.

J

joeylupre

Yes veggies monsoon. I am guessing the mountains are where it is at even though its cold 5 months a year.

Green Gooma

Yes veggies monsoon. A little brighter then that for the weed thing. I am guessing the mountains are where it is at even though its cold 5 months a year.

Man, gangs in Denver and Pueblo. Rednecks and fracking on the western slope. Is it really that bad around pueblo?

It's pretty much the same up and down the Front Range, Wyoming to Pueblo. Congestion jammed up against the mountains.

I live on the west slope. Fuck off; I'm not a redneck. Yep, there is fracking, and if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
WS’er here! And I love it out here!
Sure there are some jerks, but there are jerks everywhere; and there are enough open-minded people to make up for them! Come out for a visit!

There is a great quality of life where I am…It’s beautiful, peaceful, the weather is amazing, there's tons to do, great local food, excellent wine and beer, it’s not as loaded w/ college kids and tourists as other parts of the state sometimes are, and there’s not much fracking out where I am, thankfully…(avoid Parachute, Rifle, Silt, and Rangley in regards to that.)

There are amazing little towns out here, they’re just not as widely "known” as Estes Park, Telluride, Ned/Boulder…I love those towns, don’t get me wrong, but there tend to be kinda over populated and full of superficial pretenders, tourists and douchebags.

Hope to call you neighbor soon! :wave:

Last edited:

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Also on the western slope here. It's kinda laid back and chill for the most part. Lots and lots of people use herb. It's an easy way to make friends if they partake.

Yup, lots of retired people and republicans, but it's still fun and has it's perks. A lot of land to go and play on and explore, rivers, mountains and the like.

monsoon

Defintely a great place to live. Find some ground with water/outside irrigation rights joey. Then you'll be "good to grow". best of luck in your search.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
"Find some ground with water/outside irrigation rights joey. Then you'll be "good to grow". best of luck in your search.”

Good call! Totally meant to mention that (water) in my former post! ++

Holly cow, I had no idea just how many WS’ers IC had in it’s midst! :wave:
Hope this finds you all in high spirits!

J

Johnny Redthumb

I like the Western Slope and the High Country. But if you like sun and don't want to shovel as much snow, stick the the WS.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Yes veggies monsoon. A little brighter then that for the weed thing. I am guessing the mountains are where it is at even though its cold 5 months a year.

Man, gangs in Denver and Pueblo. Cowboys and fracking on the western slope. Is it really that bad around pueblo?

I grew up in Pueblo, have family there, visit regularly. It's a nice place to live, in general, with great sunny weather, if on the windy side. Might want to investigate Pueblo County, particularly east of town around Blende, Avondale & Vineland. Lots of irrigated small farms.

Pueblo is a Democratic stronghold because of the Steel Mill, mostly shut down today, and has a lot of now intermarried ethnic groups because of that. It's rather cosmopolitan in a working class way. It's actually become more conservative as seniors have figured out it's a good place to retire. It's the center of commerce for that end of the state, and has all the amenities.

Gangs? Only in isolated areas-

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/article_4b7f9ce3-7a99-567d-abce-605279b8adf7.html