What's new

Longtime Grower Needing Help - CO2 Related

Three Berries

I run high CO2 naturally from open flame burners in the house. 1500 is lower end during heating season and 3500 is high, mid 2000-2500ppm normal.

Had a hard time this year as I changed everything. Lights, tent, nutes, water source.

Have had a terrible time about a month into veg with yellowing at the top on new leaves. Turns out I wasn't adding any Ca and using rain water. Since then remedied.

Currently with the high CO2 and bright LEDs I have to every other day add a top dressing of my homemade CalMag solution, 1200 ppm CaCl2, 250 ppm MgCl2 and whatever KOH it needs to bring the pH up. About a 1/2 to 3/4 cup per plant. The bigger the plant is getting the more frequent it needs it.

Getting near the end of veg for it. It otherwise is a bushy healthy plant. Twice the leaves got quite yellow and the topical application stopped it dead in it's tracks, though the leaf did not recover, made a good marker though.

Growing in Happy Frog with 20% added perlite. 3.5 gallon pot.

St. Phatty

I run high CO2 naturally from open flame burners in the house. 1500 is lower end during heating season and 3500 is high, mid 2000-2500ppm normal.

I don't know if you can tell your own insurance company about the open flame burners.

But if you could, what would they say, if you asked them - if the burners start a fire that burns down the house, does your insurance cover it ?

I suggest switching to a sugar water yeast mixture, or a CO2 tank.

All that's needed to upset our methodical grower plans, in -1- single instant when Mother Nature does not cooperate.

I would put the burner inside of something that is all steel, i.e. non-flammable.

Three Berries

I don't know if you can tell your own insurance company about the open flame burners.

But if you could, what would they say, if you asked them - if the burners start a fire that burns down the house, does your insurance cover it ?

I suggest switching to a sugar water yeast mixture, or a CO2 tank.

All that's needed to upset our methodical grower plans, in -1- single instant when Mother Nature does not cooperate.

I would put the burner inside of something that is all steel, i.e. non-flammable.

Unvented is a better term. My gas range is open flame., but the heater is inside a heat exchanger.

You can get the gas valve off an old water heater and use the pilot tube and thermocouple.

Three Berries

Had a hard time this year as I changed everything. Lights, tent, nutes, water source.

Have had a terrible time about a month into veg with yellowing at the top on new leaves. Turns out I wasn't adding any Ca and using rain water. Since then remedied.

Currently with the high CO2 and bright LEDs I have to every other day add a top dressing of my homemade CalMag solution, 1200 ppm CaCl2, 250 ppm MgCl2 and whatever KOH it needs to bring the pH up. About a 1/2 to 3/4 cup per plant. The bigger the plant is getting the more frequent it needs it.

Getting near the end of veg for it. It otherwise is a bushy healthy plant. Twice the leaves got quite yellow and the topical application stopped it dead in it's tracks, though the leaf did not recover, made a good marker though.

Growing in Happy Frog with 20% added perlite. 3.5 gallon pot.
I should add to update. Things went well and when into flower I kept adding the CaMg to the oldest for about two weeks. I should not have as it really drove the pH down after the defoliating and turning to flower production.

Now with normal CO2 levels (400-600) and warmer temps, I've not seen any need to add very much of the CaMg. I have a couple of times.

Also the current grow is Ocean Forest vs Happy Frog. Started out in pure peat seed mix (mistake #1) and they were quite yellow. Gave the Ocean Forest rain water and it got too hot soil wise (mistake #2). Had to switch to the hard well water. The Happy Frog will stay on rain water.

But picked of the dead leaves and it is a new day!