What's new

Longtime Grower Needing Help - CO2 Related

Lookingforhelp

Longtime commercial grower here, 20 plus years, with a problem that no one seems to have any idea how to address/fix. At this point, I am literally willing to offer a reward for the person who can solve this riddle. Let me present as the following.

Problem: Whenever CO2 is introduced into my vegetative room, which is approximately 20x60 in size, the plants wither, become yellow, woody stems, within 48 hours of the CO2 introduction. This happens no matter where I veg in my building. i have tested vegging in multiple flowering rooms and the toxicity happens in the same time frame. When I remove CO2, the plants get better almost immediately. Also, when i move the plants to flower and flip them WITH CO2 on, the problem goes away immediately. To be clear, I could move in completely yellow plants, woody stems, etc and a week after I flip to flower, with CO2 running, it will be like it never happened, all lush green growth, etc. Just to be clear, CO2 works fine when plants are flowering. Does not work at all in veg status, whether it be gavita lights in a flower room we are using to veg or our standard veg room lighting.

I have been consulting with many growers I respect and trust and no one has seen this/heard of it, let alone have even a suggestion to fix.

Grow Composition: Vegetative Room - 56 Solistek Digital DE Hoods, with separate ballasts. Half the room is running on hortilux DE bulbs, other half growers choice metal halide bulbs. Temps: 76, humidity 60%, agrowtek controlled. Canna Coco, Canna Coco nutrients, tested recipe. 2 gallon fabric pots. Flower rooms are gavita 1000 de, standard etc. Lights are 5-6 feet off the canopy.

There is a massive prize to whoever can figure this out or even help guide us in the right direction. I appreciate everyone's help in advance, thank you.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Longtime commercial grower here, 20 plus years, with a problem that no one seems to have any idea how to address/fix. At this point, I am literally willing to offer a reward for the person who can solve this riddle. Let me present as the following.

Problem: Whenever CO2 is introduced into my vegetative room, which is approximately 20x60 in size, the plants wither, become yellow, woody stems, within 48 hours of the CO2 introduction. This happens no matter where I veg in my building. i have tested vegging in multiple flowering rooms and the toxicity happens in the same time frame. When I remove CO2, the plants get better almost immediately. Also, when i move the plants to flower and flip them WITH CO2 on, the problem goes away immediately. To be clear, I could move in completely yellow plants, woody stems, etc and a week after I flip to flower, with CO2 running, it will be like it never happened, all lush green growth, etc. Just to be clear, CO2 works fine when plants are flowering. Does not work at all in veg status, whether it be gavita lights in a flower room we are using to veg or our standard veg room lighting.

I have been consulting with many growers I respect and trust and no one has seen this/heard of it, let alone have even a suggestion to fix.

Grow Composition: Vegetative Room - 56 Solistek Digital DE Hoods, with separate ballasts. Half the room is running on hortilux DE bulbs, other half growers choice metal halide bulbs. Temps: 76, humidity 60%, agrowtek controlled. Canna Coco, Canna Coco nutrients, tested recipe. 2 gallon fabric pots. Flower rooms are gavita 1000 de, standard etc. Lights are 5-6 feet off the canopy.

There is a massive prize to whoever can figure this out or even help guide us in the right direction. I appreciate everyone's help in advance, thank you.

Raise temps and humidity. Try 85º with 70% humidity. See how they respond and adjust accordingly.

gorilla ganja

Are you using the same source of CO2 for both veg and flower?
if your using a CO2 generator it may not be burning clean and producing impurities.
That would be my guess

best of luck figuring it out

Peace GG

Biologist

I’ve read lots of things like this happening with burners but never with cylinders, have you tried co2 cylinders?

Lookingforhelp

Are you using the same source of CO2 for both veg and flower?
if your using a CO2 generator it may not be burning clean and producing impurities.
That would be my guess

best of luck figuring it out

Peace GG

Using CO2 tanks and exact same gas for veg and flower. thank you for helping.

Lookingforhelp

Have you tried raising the EC?
And could you also post a picture of the issue?

Unable to post a pic because I am not running the CO2 right now, so everything looks great. I have tried raising the food, but not the temperature and humidity. I am debating running a test on that.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Unable to post a pic because I am not running the CO2 right now, so everything looks great. I have tried raising the food, but not the temperature and humidity. I am debating running a test on that.

What’s your light cycle in veg? When supplementing CO2 in veg, what is your PPM? Have you measured ambient levels first, before supplementing? Why do you want to supplement in veg?

Back in the day I had a room set up. Only had five maybe six grows under my belt in that room. Had a controller that kept temps around 78º and humidity between 40 - 50%. Wanted to up my game and add CO2. Got a natural gas CO2 generator. Things were bumpy. Read on newsgroups (Usenet) to defy conventional wisdom when supplementing and run temps and humidity much higher. I did. It worked. Too well. I soon realized it didn’t make much sense (for me) to supplement in veg. Growth is explosive.

That was early ‘00s so I don’t recall if the advice made mention of VPD (I want to say no) but those numbers (VPD charts) almost seem necessary when supplementing.

If when you tried raising the food you were also supplementing and at the temps and humidity you posted, then the plants aren’t able to metabolize and transpire properly.

Not saying temps and humidity is definitely the answer, just saying it’s a possibility and an easy one to test.

growshopfrank

Veteran
When i used sea cans for grow rooms i had a similar issue and to make a long story short the cure was to run a charcoal filter as a scrubber and the plants responded almost immediately with fresh normal growth.
The best conclusion to what happened is that ether the can had some residual chemical or the building supply's that i used was off-gassing something that made the plants sick and the filter was able to reduce it to levels that the plants would tolerate.

Drove me crazy for some time and a ton of what ifs before i found the cure good luck.

Latest posts

Latest posts