What's new

Long Term Seed Storage questions

G

Guest 16149

Sam
Thanks so much for the info and your help :)

Live and Grow Well

1G12

Great thread - lots of good info!

Great thread - lots of good info!

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about using a product like this:

It's several inert gasses (CO2,N,etc.) in a spray can intended to help keep previously opened wine fresh. My only concern is that removing all the O2 might kill the seed. However, seems to work pretty well in keeping jarred weed fresh in the fridge. lol

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I never packed seeds in a vacuum, or in inert gases. I bet it works but I have not done it.

-SamS

OneCanSam

Sam_Skunkman said:
I never packed seeds in a vacuum, or in inert gases. I bet it works but I have not done it.

-SamS

What I've been doing is buy those plastic pill boxes that old people use to remind themselves what pills they need to take (I shopped around and found black pill boxes), then I place the seeds in the black plastic pill box, then vacuum seal the pill boxes that are inside a vacuum sealed bag, then into the fridge or freezer. I've never futzed with Silica packs inside the sealed bag, germination rates for even the frozen vacuum sealed beans were good, but as said by others, you lose some if they go into the freezer, sadly, it's just the way it is.

My life's a little easier now that Reynolds came out with that $9 portable battery Handi Vac sealer to seal Reynolds Handi Vac bags. Threw my Seal a meal vacuum sealer in the rubbish. :wink:

51MpfjDtusL._AA280_.jpg

JWP

I have cracked beans that were just stored in the fridge at 2 or 3 degrees C after 4 years.
I use the same method as detailed in the "Collecting, Storing, and Mailing Pollen" thread.

I dunno if its any better than any other method, but it works and thats all that matters to me.
Really i just like making the little paper envelopes :smoke:

B

Bubble Puppy

I do the glass vials with dessicant ,but im happy to get the seed cracking info .The pill box container is the greatest temporary seed container ever ,you can find em everywhere really cheap.

M

Mossad

Sweet, I use vials for pollen.

I used to use 00 gel caps with some dried rice and put those in bags; you can tell if moisture is a problem from the gel caps (never seen it with seeds there).

I also use something currently but for security reasons I am going to keep it mine..

bassickly

Store them in a plastic container with some rice grains, keep in a warm, dark place. This has always worked well for me

eyes

Veteran
store your seeds in a cool dark place.not warm dark place. keep em refrigerated or freezer for long term storage.ive seen seeds pop after ten yrs no problem in the freezer.

Latest posts

Latest posts