What's new

long New Yorker article: Growing and Dispensaries in Cali

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
i like the new yorker cuz they got some good articles from time to time, e.g. Sy Hirsch's stuff. Well, from the folks that brought you Obama as Sukarno and Michelle as Angela Davis, this article on dispensaries and grows in California

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07/28/080728fa_fact_samuels?currentPage=1

can't cut and paste its too long. open a new browser and go to the address if youre paranoid. or search for "the new yorker" on google and go to the main page, its the feature article.

interesting, i don't know anything about the cali scene, gave me some background, also discussions on the economics.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
They got it partially right. I will say that to someone not from Cali (as I was a few years ago when I first moved out here from New England area) the Cali bud scene is craaazy.

First time I walked into a bud store I must of looked like a fat kid that just found the holy grail of chocolate. I'm totally used to it now and doesn't even seem that crazy to me anymore, but it sure is fun anytime someone new comes out to visit me and I take them to a clinic and walk out with a legal bag of bud (or show them the grow)

rootfingers

That is a good read. Makes me want to take my skills out there and work a bit. I would freakin love harvest time and I can trim very well. Or grow, work in the outdoors, ah what a life it could be. Sun, good people, fresh air, fresh smoke. . . yeah I could dig it.

T

THCV

this interview with the author was on NPR. The link is for itunes.

I thought the article was ok, too long, with too much implication that we are all hindus or something. Could have been more thorough.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Have heard it said before. Of the people who come out to do it, 1 in 9 makes it work, due to the many, many hats one is required to wear. Thing about these hats, is that they often seem to conflict but are all necessary in correct amount, or else one gets spat out. Usually by some codger or redneck who feels entitled to rat.... Or threaten..
Or shine lights on the grow at night... Or stare at you while or aftger you work... Work Hard that is. Or. Or Or..

Then of the 1 in 9, 1 in 9 actually comes up with something most people who 'know' would enjoy smoking. The costs of growing medical-grade Organic, whether indoors or out, is very high. Rents have no ceiling either, apparently. Power is ridiculously priced and we have seen the tip of the iceberg, only.

Other than that it is all easy going.

skylined

I enjoyed reading the article, but the most important thing is that it gives the whole business a good feeling of normalcy and legitimacy, and the New Yorker is read by a wide audience. It's important that this sort of message is disseminated, as we all know the voluminous amounts of bullshit and propaganda the government puts out there...at OUR expense.

Latest posts

Latest posts