What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Long Flowering Sativas: Micro-Grow Box Design Thread

T

thesloppy

Have you considered scrogging? Definitely improves yield when you're unable to work with headspace. :) Very theraputic during the stretch, training to the screen a few minutes twice a day. Once stretch is over, it's just keeping the feed right and raising the light as the mini forest grows up. :)

Tried it, but it didn't take....I ended up preferring the opposite method; lots of small plants grown as single colas. With a bunch of small plants I could flip them into bloom as soon as the clones were rooted, whereas I could easily spend a month in veg trying to fill out a screen with a single plant, to get basically the same yield. I much preferred doing the extra work in the cloning phase vs. dedicating an entire month or more to veg, but everybody's situation & challenges are different.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Makes sense with the sativas, I was referring to scrogging with the LED, considering the gap you need to maintain now. :) No worries. Very good points all around.

Thank You :D

Douglas.Curtis

So... I've spent some time working on a simple solution for angling the lamps. I have wood, I have time, I have power tools. I didn't come up with anything useful yet. lol

What I DID run across is remote ballasting the LED lamps, which would remove the distance issue. Should the 15w LED's still be too powerful, I can use less expensive/cooler LED's like the 9.5w versions. Just more of them. :)

Check out what Mad is doing, over in his DIY PC grow thread.

(edit: Remote ballasting requires heat sinks. This will have to wait until I can "upgrade" the cab.)Save

Douglas.Curtis

Half the screen is up.

With plants on the screen, there isn't much room for intense LED light areas where plant material would be damaged. Along with angling the LEDs downward, I'll definitely have to use the lower powered LEDs. Maybe even lower than 9.5w. We'll see. ;)

Douglas.Curtis

I've been told the 8w LED screw-in lamps are safe for plants, to within a few inches. I'm pretty sure I can also find a lamp base with a metal tang on it. Should be as simple as bending the tang to the correct angle and screwing it to the door. We'll see. :)

I'll have more build pictures up in a couple days. Anyone else have a cab shot they'd like to share?