What's new

Log Cabin in the wilderness

doublejj

Veteran
More pits

More pits

Power breakfast after early practice. Cheerios in a party cup!lol!:biggrin:

As you can see I lead by example & stay in top shape!lol!

doublejj

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 17

doublejj

Veteran
Passing it on

Passing it on

Teach a boy how to shoot a bow & arrow & you never know where it might lead.
He got biggest Elk in the state, a few years ago. One shot with an arrow!

doublejj
P.S. Like I said "I'm so proud of him!":biggrin:

Attachments

• cannon%20056[1].jpg
    cannon%20056[1].jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 19

doublejj

Veteran
More cabin pics

More cabin pics

Back to the cabin.
The first pic is me cutting the first log for the cabin.
We would build the cabin, right where my jacket is sitting.

Last pic is my foster son, cutting his first log:biggrin:

doublejj

Attachments

• 6-19-2012 log cabin 002.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 002.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 6-19-2012 log cabin 003.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 003.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 6-19-2012 log cabin 004.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 004.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 17

doublejj

Veteran
The foundation

The foundation

The cabin was built on pier blocks. We made the forms out of plywood, burried them & poured them in place.

You can see the fireplace slab.

doublejj

Attachments

• 6-19-2012 log cabin 005.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 005.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 6-19-2012 log cabin 007.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 007.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 6-19-2012 log cabin 006.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 006.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 16

doublejj

Veteran
Outback fun!

Outback fun!

This is what passed for fun out there in the woods

We would float down the river in tubes, & dive off the train tressel that crossed a wide spot in the river.
Hillbilly waterpark! :biggrin:

doublejj

Attachments

• 6-19-2012 log cabin 012.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 012.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 6-19-2012 log cabin 014.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 014.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 6-19-2012 log cabin 015.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 015.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21

doublejj

Veteran
What a great way to spend father's day. Man, this thread has taken so many twists and turns, just like a dirt track!

Good luck to your Grandson. Sounds like he's well on his way. I wanted to get into motocross when I was a young man, but my mom wasn't having it. My dad was ok with it, but mom had the final say and her answer was "no, no, no." Waaay too over protective...

If I ever have a kid, I'm going to let him/her do all that kind of risky-ish stuff if they really want to. I think being involved in things like motocross really helps to teach them a lot about life in general. Everyone doesn't get a trophy and if you want to win, you have to be best! I hope he does well and keeps with it. Those motocross guys get paid well and get tons of groupies! OW!

Thanks again for sharing, Dubs.

HB.

I told my foster son, when he came to live with us; "Act like a man & I'll treat you like one".
He always has, & it has been easy to keep my word.
He made all of his own decissions from the time he came live with us. I have the utmost in trust in him.

doublejj

doublejj

doublejj

Veteran
Boys to men!

Boys to men!

My idea of "boys to men":biggrin:

doublejj

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6-19-2012 log cabin 009.jpg
    6-19-2012 log cabin 009.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 17

doublejj

Veteran
King salmon

King salmon

I went fishing yesterday, 30lb King salmon

doublejj

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6-21-2012 King salmon 012.jpg
    6-21-2012 King salmon 012.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 19

SneekyFarmer

Damn doublejj that was a huge elk! That was a really nice cabin you built man, beautiful country where you built it too! I bet it was a hard decision to sell it! Thanks for sharing the pics...

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Now that's a fish! :woohoo:

You ever read the Fish Sniffer, Dubs? Well, that king is cover worthy for sure. Excellent!

I hear the salmon fishing has been kind of hit and miss, so it's good to see you landed a lunker like that one right there.

Last time I went salmon fishing was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and I got a spot on the Wacky Jacky. Caught a couple of real nice kings (one 20 and one 25). We all caught our limit on that trip. Too much salmon for me to eat, so I cut off a bunch of steaks to stick in the freezer and I made the rest into raviolis.

Well, I made the filling and had a local place make the raviolis for me, but they were damn good. They boxed em up real nice for me, and I gave them out as gifts to friends and family.

Later, Dubs.

HB.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Looks like a good peace of bait

Looks like a good peace of bait

I went fishing the other day, 30lb King salmon

doublejj

View Image

LOL
I love to eat salmon, grilled out on one of them cedar boards or grilled over charcoal. yum yum. Round here trout is as close as we can get. A little rosemary and they grill out fine.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
this is an awesome thread! i am so glad i didnt miss out on this one. doublejj you are one great man, you deserve the best! we need more people like you in the world..

doublejj

Veteran
El Dorado

El Dorado

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, life has been good to me.

I fished aboard the fishing charter boat 'El Dorado'. We left the Berkeley docks at 6:00am for a day of fishing outside the Golden Gate, and returned early with limits of big shinny King salmon. I enjoyed the added bonus of winnng the $100 jackpot for catching the biggest fish of the day! :pimp3:

I also caught a 20lb'er for a cool 50lbs of salmon.

They will fillet them for you once you reach the dock. I took home about 25lbs of tasty salmon fillets. I ran some thru the smoker & froze some for later.

doublejj
P.S. Were having smoked salmon omlets for dinner:biggrin:

Attachments

• 6-21-2012 King salmon 015.jpg
    6-21-2012 King salmon 015.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 6-21-2012 King salmon 001.jpg
    6-21-2012 King salmon 001.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 6-21-2012 King salmon 019.jpg
    6-21-2012 King salmon 019.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 22

doublejj

Veteran
Hot from the smoker

Hot from the smoker

Fresh smoked King salmon

doublejj

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7-22-2011 smoked salmon 001.jpg
    7-22-2011 smoked salmon 001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 19

doublejj

Veteran
The lights of Boeing

The lights of Boeing

We left the cabin in 1974 & moved to Seattle, so my wife could go to nursing school. I got a job at Boeing, (sheetmetal mech) in the facilities division, working on the buildings & tooling. This job gave me access to the entire place, my id card allowed me to be almost anywhere at Boeing.
One day while cruising the roofs of the buildings (looking for a place to smoke a joint), I came across a giant greenhouse!
I went inside and it was full of all sorts of potted trees & plants. There was ths 'Mr Miyagi' like gardener inside & he told me they were for the executive offices & lobbies. (This was Boeing Hqts). He kept 2 of everythng & rotated them every few weeks. What caught my eye were 2 big lights he had inside, he said he used them to keep everything flowering.
I mentioned them to an electrician friend of mine (Greg) in facilities & he knew all about them, they were old 'parking lot lights'. The gardener had requested them.
A few weeks later I was watching a football game with a couple of co-workers/smoking buddies, who happen to be Boeing Engineers, and I brought up the lights. After a few mnutes of conversation we all went down stairs into this guy's basement & "A light went on"! literally!
Within a year those two engineers opened Seattle's first indoor grow shop. May have even been the worlds first indoor grow shop?:tiphat:

doublejj

SneekyFarmer

Doublejj.. this is an awsome thread bro! You are definately my kind of people! I love to hunt and fish and burn a big fat doobie of the sticky green!