What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

locating speaker from the wiring? ( in wall speakers )

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi, looking to see if anyone knows on how to locate a built in speaker from the wiring? I have built in speakers through the house, and the guy before didn't label the wiring...

A. I'm very bad at electronics, so be gentle
B. only thing I read is to not use the 9 volt battery method as it can damage the speaker permanently?
C. also any info on what cat5 cable is which also would be great..

thanks for any info

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
get home stereo receiver.
play music or static through receiver.
plug in a random pair of speaker wires.
Go through house until you find which one is on.
Label those wires.
repeat.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have used the 9v battery test for many years never had any speaker blow from it.. The guys at the car stereo stor use it all the time to test witch line is positive. I would use it..

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I have used the 9v battery test for many years never had any speaker blow from it.. The guys at the car stereo stor use it all the time to test witch line is positive. I would use it..

I've done the same. On $500+ woofers.

No issues.