What's new

Local materials

h.h.

Veteran
That’s just under 1/5 teaspoon of sulfur per cup of molasses. I’m no expert, but in 5 gallons of tea. I’d use it.

40degsouth

Thanks H.H.
I see you've had my back on a few things over the last year or so, it's really very much appreciated and nice to know one of the "big kids" are looking out for me in the playground!! :huggg:
Cheers,

h.h.

Veteran
Don’t confuse being here a long time with knowing anything. MicrobeMan just got tired of correcting me.

All I can really say is I’ve used it before and my plants remained healthy.

I just went off of your figure of 0.4%. Assuming it’s by volume and not by weight.

Figuring per cup.

1 cup = 48 teaspoons.

0.4% =0.004

48 tsp x 0.004 = 0.192 tsp.

40degsouth

h.h,
l like to say "thank you" for the kindnesses extended towards me, even if they are only 0.192 of a tea spoon full.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Um in any of your guys experiance can peanut shells (raw peanuts cooked at home btw) be used in the soil?

Not me. I would not worry about using them as mulch. Try it and let us know.

I decided to grind up avocado shells and seeds to use as mulch.

h.h.

Veteran
Um in any of your guys experiance can peanut shells (raw peanuts cooked at home btw) be used in the soil?

Primarily cellulose. I’d soak them in a nutrient solution first. I’ve never used them, but I wouldn’t hesitate to start incorporating them in my soil. Wouldn’t be the first time I killed a plant. Wouldn’t be the last.

h.h.

Veteran
h.h,
l like to say "thank you" for the kindnesses extended towards me, even if they are only 0.192 of a tea spoon full.

One of the best ways to learn is to teach under peer review. I didn’t know how much sulfur they used until you told me.

Doesn’t mean I’m right, but I think it’s a damn good guess.

h.h.

Veteran
Not me. I would not worry about using them as mulch. Try it and let us know.

I decided to grind up avocado shells and seeds to use as mulch.

I throw all that into my soil. Crunch up the shells. The pits stay whole.
How are you grinding the pits?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the best ways to learn is to teach under peer review. I didn’t know how much sulfur they used until you told me.

Doesn’t mean I’m right, but I think it’s a damn good guess.

Naturally occurring sulphur in cane molasses is averaged at 0.3%
Seems we can no longer attach PDFs

h.h.

Veteran
Naturally occurring sulphur in cane molasses is averaged at 0.3%
Seems we can no longer attach PDFs

Then 0.4% sulfur is in range of naturally occurrence, or maybe the 0.1% difference is residue from the sulfur dioxide gas. Rather insignificant I would think.
But if they were to add it, I imagine it would be a bigger percentage.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Then 0.4% sulfur is in range of naturally occurrence, or maybe the 0.1% difference is residue from the sulfur dioxide gas. Rather insignificant I would think.
But if they were to add it, I imagine it would be a bigger percentage.

Yup. Top amount measured was 1.20% and bottom was 0.175%
There are varying ranges region to region in accordance with soil constituents, growing techniques and other variables one can imagine.

When I have been unable to ascertain the analysis from the dealer, I attempt to get the contact for the processing plant to acquire it or at least ask if they add sulphur. In my present circumstance, I get what I get. I drop off a container at the tienda de ganado [pastura] and pick it up filled a week later. It looks and smells good and works according to my scope.

Whomever began the 'thing' about unsulphured molasses should have used better language, like 'no added sulphur' It seemingly causes angst and hand wringing among cannabis cultivators.

hyposomniac

Every year I have buckets of acorns in the driveway.. the squirrels take the innards. The shells look like they'd make a nice aerator

h.h.

Veteran
Every year I have buckets of acorns in the driveway.. the squirrels take the innards. The shells look like they'd make a nice aerator

They might be worth a shot, if they’re not too green. They might be a little acidic. Maybe soak some of the tannins out of them.

h.h.

Veteran
Yup. Top amount measured was 1.20% and bottom was 0.175%
There are varying ranges region to region in accordance with soil constituents, growing techniques and other variables one can imagine.

When I have been unable to ascertain the analysis from the dealer, I attempt to get the contact for the processing plant to acquire it or at least ask if they add sulphur. In my present circumstance, I get what I get. I drop off a container at the tienda de ganado [pastura] and pick it up filled a week later. It looks and smells good and works according to my scope.

Whomever began the 'thing' about unsulphured molasses should have used better language, like 'no added sulphur' It seemingly causes angst and hand wringing among cannabis cultivators.

I think “unsulphured” may just be best practices. Even 1.20% would only be about 3/5th’s tsp.

h.h.

Veteran
I use the same test I use for chlorine.
The gut test.

Based on the bacteria in my gut.
If I drink it and don’t die or get sick, it must not kill everything.

h.h.

Veteran
I got some new residents in my junipers. Camera shy though.

picture.php

40degsouth

Hi everyone, l hope you're all well.
I've spent an unhealthy amount of time on icmag and the net, over the last five years, trying to find this exact information. Not just the sulphured/unsulphured percentages but weather or not this sulphur kills off the beneficials l'm trying to produce in ACTs; thanks Microbe Man. I've also been using it and it's reassuring to know that it hasn't been a waste of time.
With all this sulphur talk, I've revisited an old research topic SIR or Sulphur Induced Resistance for funlgal pathogens. The study suggests that an excess of sulphur in the soil is a beneficial element for plant health and plants have the ability to off gas excess sulphur they take up, when healthy and use it on a cellular basis to fight an oncoming pathogen, when needed.
I love sulphur in my soils and l try to keep them running at a ph of 6.5. I find that with one handful, top dressed, of elemental sulphur per 300 gallons, or 900 litres, at the end of the season, accomplishes this.
The initial results of the foliar experiment are so much better than l could of expected. I'll update when I've got a bit more time.
Cheers,

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

picture.php

picture.php

Jalisco landrace took over my firepit. I was burning off some old dry branches; Damn weeds.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts