What's new

Living Soil 4x4x2 bed Questions: How many plants can comfortably fit under it?

Abdthi1966

Premium user
I was curious about any thoughts you living soil growers could give me about this. I’m currently sexing some plants and am wondering how much I can fit in this new bed. It’s my first time growing like this so any thoughts are welcome.

stiff

Veteran
It really depends on the strains and the style you're growing it.
A quickly rooted and flowered clone probably 25 like @DaEarl73 said, depending on how vigorous they are.
A hybrid variety which gets topped might fill it with 4 plants only.
Horses for courses..I personally love seeing SOG's.
9 good size plants could work if you don't let them veg for too long.
There's many ways this can be done..the next guy does a scrog with only one plant,but let's it grow much longer before the flowering cycle..🤷‍♂️
It's all up to you

Last edited:

DaEarl73

I don’t want to veg too long and I have lots of genetics. Once I can cut clones, I flip to flower. Time is money too and plant counts don’t make Sense at all

Abdthi1966

Premium user
I’ve been growing out jarilla sinaloa x destroyer for a breeding run, with two Romulan genetics communion. I have multiple plants that I recently sexed but I just wasn’t sure what the norm was considering my light spread is only 3.5 by 3.5 or so.

I was originally thinking 4 of the nicest sin/destroyers and then the 2 communions and veg for another month or so while
I bend the branches under a net.

Lots of great thoughts here guys. I’m going to have to mull this over. Thank you!

Abdthi1966

Premium user
IMG_6737.jpeg

Abdthi1966

Premium user
So it’s strange but everyone transplanted has been thriving after dialing in my sealed room. But this little mother in the middle has me scratching my head. Any thoughts guys?

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Looks fried, curious what your temp/rh situation is. Looks like they are under hps? Is there air movement? Towards the center there that plant is getting the most intense light and likely heat. Have you checked leaf surface temps?
The temp early on was in the 90s until I recently brought It down to a consistent 80. Humidity has always lingered around 60s and the room was only recently fully sealed. I just found out my co2 has been low (700s) now that I have a data logger so I’m correcting that to (1200). However the other plants are within inches and have no ill effects what so ever.

But like you said it’s smack dab center and perhaps this pheno just couldn’t take it, not to mention they were alittle root bound going into the 4 by 4

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The temp early on was in the 90s until I recently brought It down to a consistent 80. Humidity has always lingered around 60s and the room was only recently fully sealed. I just found out my co2 has been low (700s) now that I have a data logger so I’m correcting that to (1200). However the other plants are within inches and have no ill effects what so ever.

But like you said it’s smack dab center and perhaps this pheno just couldn’t take it, not to mention they were alittle root bound going into the 4 by 4
Are they under hps and do you have a fan oscillating air?

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Are they under hps and do you have a fan oscillating air?
Not oscillating but there’s a baby fan with a current growing and then the ac turns on regularly for air flow as well. But yea it’s a 1,000watt hps air cooled dimmed to 75%

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not oscillating but there’s a baby fan with a current growing and then the ac turns on regularly for air flow as well. But yea it’s a 1,000watt hps air cooled dimmed to 75%
Ok, and have you taken leaf surface temps? What a hygrometer says on the wall could be very different than the temperature in that exact spot.

stiff

Veteran
It could also been outgrown by the root mass of the neighbour plants. Ever grown a few cuts in the same pot? Sometimes it's missing roots space which doesn't allow them full growth. I like single pots for that reason

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Hmm gotcha. At this point I was having some fluctuating environmental issues, as well as having a pretty weak fan. I ended up upgrading my oscillating fan in the room and I’m thinking that will help.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Lost the one lady but everyone else is starting to recover. Now that I have a tensiometer I’m hoping my watering will become more accurate and what not. For those who grow this way, do you just not have run off? I mean I’ve put a total of 35 gallons or so and haven’t seen anything. I have dehumidifier running and that takes a little but I’m not sure what it all goes lol.