What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
After the observations with the blue Solo cups I picked up a couple of these for starting vegetable seeds for the garden as well as rooting cuttings. I only run 6 cuttings for the next cycle, keep 4 and toss the other 2 so spacing isn't an issue.

The manufacturer has a sturdy fiberglass tray with a dome top (18") that I will pick-up at the show this week. The tray and dome are configured for this specific unit so there's no movement when you move the trays.

This rooting product is geared towards the tree growers which explains the deeper cups vs. the retail products most of have used.

The bottom image is their new stainless steel version - not sure what that's about exactly.

rl98cover_b.jpg

cover_D20ss.jpg

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Toes

Better than reusable - the actual 'cone' are removable and you have options on the cones with some better designed for Pine, Maple, etc. cuttings

Here's a chart of the cones available....

raysingle.jpg

T

Toes.

very cool... throw some dwarf Japanese red maples in there for me wouldja

the different colors, is that for ID purposes?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
very cool... throw some dwarf Japanese red maples in there for me wouldja

the different colors, is that for ID purposes?
Toes

Yes - within that specific group, i.e. SC10 are one size and the 4 colors would be for plant identification.

These and other similar products are used heavily for contracts with the US Forest Service and other federal & state agencies for re-forestation projects.

The colors are standard throughout the industry (generally) making it easier when the planters are assigned whatever group of trees for that day's project. Easier than tagging with a label gun. You can imagine how many tree starts need to be prepared for replanting several acres after the clear-cut is accomplished.

CC

T

Toes.

CC, I have a good friend who was involved in that sort of thing a few years ago, re-forestation... He said it was good times. he knows a lot about trees too, a real Arborist.

He's moved on... to bigger and better. One day I'll look him up in Central Florida and see if he needs some one to pull a hose around.

edit: by bigger and better I mean he grows trees now, instead of just planting them... I feel there is no better job than resupplying our mother with trees.

shmalphy

Veteran
I have seen someone make a cloner on here out of one of these, those kind of remind me of it, CC
Water-Bottle-Ice-Cube-Tray.jpg

I clone right in the mini white solo cups, like the ones you rinse your mouth with, but I would prefer something longer and thinner, and the fact that they are modular (which is why I use cups instead of standard seed cell trays) is appealing.

CC, if you don't mind me asking, what is the price on those? They look sturdy, do they have a rated lifespan? What is the brand name on them?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
actually gascan, you might consider cranking the rhetoric down a couple of notches.
anyone who's been around here a while will know that you are a good guy, but some of the flaming going on here is making you look like a schoolyard bully. the poor jointed one was actually only trying to help.

cheers

VG

T

Toes.

...This guy is an asshole day in and day out...

we all know Dr. House saves lives...

My Grandpa was in Vietnam. He used to tell me about the cocky helicopter pilots always pissing people off because they were assholes, not all but a select few were the cockiest assholes around...

he would look at me and say... "but, you know what Toes, it's the cockiest of the cockiest assholes you want piloting that huey. they are the only ones with enough Balls to fly into the front line firefight, land that bird, and get me the fuck out of there."
YMMV

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
actually gascan, you might consider cranking the rhetoric down a couple of notches.
anyone who's been around here a while will know that you are a good guy, but some of the flaming going on here is making you look like a schoolyard bully. the poor jointed one was actually only trying to help.

cheers

VG
A fair opinion VG. Not much of a bully...just fucking had it.

shmalphy

Veteran
Damn, while I was sipping my coffee typing my reply, looks like a donnybrook broke out in here.

I am on Gascan's side, let's brawl!

Good%2BPublic%2BInternet%2BFight.jpg

Gascanastan

Veteran
LOL^^^

I'm outta here...real life awaits. Thanks for your support guys..it's like trying to explain color to a blind person in here anymore.
PEACE~

I

Iron_Lion

so is Dr. House M.D.

we all know Dr. House saves lives... so we afford him his politically incorrect banter with lesser human beings. Because he knows his shit.

My Grandpa was in Vietnam. He used to tell me about the cocky helicopter pilots always pissing people off because they were assholes, not all but a select few were the cockiest assholes around...

he would look at me and say... "but, you know what Toes, it's the cockiest of the cockiest assholes you want piloting that huey. they are the only ones with enough Balls to fly into the front line firefight, land that bird, and get me the fuck out of there."
YMMV

We're not in Vietnam here toes, were not killing enemies. Posting on the internet doesn't require you to fly into the face of death.

Basically the point I was trying to convey is that when you flame the shit out of anyone that has knows a little less than you, at the same time you are scaring off a lot of other people that may have had something positive to contribute. People don't even want to participate in the conversation because of the melee that may ensue.

There are many ways to do things that all achieve good results. What often becomes the theme around here is it's "my way or the highway".

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
CC, if you don't mind me asking, what is the price on those? They look sturdy, do they have a rated lifespan? What is the brand name on them?
shmalphy

Like everything else with commercial nursery products - cheap. The black frame is less than $8.00 (for singles) and the cones (inserts) run about $0.80 each or less depending on the year range you want, i.e. they come in 2-3 years, 3-5 years and 5-7 years. Stuewe & Sons

The frames are UV stabilized, etc.

Here's a better photo that shows different configurations on this product line. They have several others.

One disclaimer, this is not something special or out of the ordinary. No company has a lock on any segment in the nursery business - too many variables. It's highly specialized meaning that there is no way to have a lock on anything.

Not that a mass of idiots haven't tried - the Coir mess is a stellar example of overloading your marketing team with drivel and promises that could never be met. Ever.

pw_rayleach.jpg

Gascanastan

Veteran
...then again once you've been ripped off by 3 IC mag members personally and then have half your 'buddies' take the side of the thief..that kind of leaves a sour taste in your mouth...shall I name them?

Naaa I'll let fate take care of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts