What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlueJayWay

BlueJay

Nothing special at all.

I know this is wrong because there's a plethora of books about growing dope that says so. Posters with long green bars under their avatar sneer at my general stupidity - but I just don't understand the role of Dioxin in germinating seeds.

Here's the wrong (stupid wrong) method that I use on all seeds from any plant:

Take soil mix and put it into #1 containers, hydrate with kelp meal tea, Aloe vera and Fulvic acid. Take seed and set it on the surface - and here comes the tricky part - I take my 'pinkie' and press lightly on the seed until it is about 1/4" deep - warning another tricky step here - I push the surrounding soil on top of it and gently tamp it down.

They go under 400w HPS CMH bulbs until they're of size to transplant.

Take notes - there will be a pop-quiz in the morning! LOL

"Tough Love" - that's how we roll in the shire

EDIT: Same method for 20+ year old seeds - pitiful isn't it?

You "press" the seed into the soil? How many lbs of pressure are you using? Are you sure you won't damage the seed? I'm going to have to do some pinky push ups before I attempt :D

You guys are great.

shmalphy

Veteran
"Soil nutrition management" perhaps?

Has anyone used the soil test kits at Home Depot? I was curious if they were worth it.

Luster_Leaf_Products_1601_Soil_Test_Kit.jpg

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I was curious if they were worth it
They are to the retailers - no question about that

A real soil test which covers Elements, pH, CeC, etc. from a certified labs runs between $55.00 - $75.00 with higher prices going to labs with a solid track-record.

Save your money and continue on soil building which is what you're doing. Soils will take care of things and by adding appropriate amendments you will hit the level of tilth we all want.

Humus - that's the ticket

CC

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
You "press" the seed into the soil? How many lbs of pressure are you using? Are you sure you won't damage the seed? I'm going to have to do some pinky push ups before I attempt :D

You guys are great.

Im pretty sure he left out a few steps..... wheres the bleach? Peroxide? Superthrive? Paper towel and zip loc baggie? Cable box for warmth?

Sounds risky :D :D :D

:smoke:

GS

G

greenmatter

some one down the street had a huge blue spruce cut down and ground up this spring. i had dump what is left of the tree in my backyard. i piled it into a cage i made of wire fencing and have been using it for mulch all summer. the pile that started out 8'x8' wide and 5 feet high heated up pretty good on it's own for about a month and since then i have been adding greens to keep it working. the pile is huge so really "turning" is not possible but i am doing all i can

i want to use all of this stuff in the fall as a sort of "clay buster" for some new beds.

it getting late in the year and this pile is still going through all the green stuff i can throw at it pretty quickly

should i worry about this stuff locking up all the N if i use it to soon? should i throw a couple bags of alfalfa pellets and /or some kelp meal into the mix before i use it? or add all that and not rush it and let it cook until spring?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
To use the 'canary in the coal mine' analogy, buy cheap color spot plants (Pansies, etc.) and stick it in a soil mix using this material.

It's a start.....

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
"Soil nutrition management" perhaps?

Has anyone used the soil test kits at Home Depot? I was curious if they were worth it.

View Image

These tests don't really work for what you doing with living soil.

The results are what is happening at that moment....sooner than later conditions will change in the soil as the microbe and fungi populations peck out an existence competing for food and breaking down organic matter.......which means that in the next two days the results will most likely be different.

If anything they can give you a rough estimate...which is hardly anything to justify spending the cash on them.

Gascanastan

Veteran
As worthless as a ph meter in my garden....

I saw my ph meter in a box again yesterday......I almost grabbed it this time to see if it turned on after how ever many months/years...I didn't bother to extend the energy to lift it.

Gascanastan

Veteran
How did you barley seed experiment work out?
I have not used it yet...waiting for the next watering....should be Friday considering outside temps will be around 100 2morrow.

.....yet on another note...I am now day 1 into flower with 6k~
Perhaps I'll take some pix as things develop...bizzy working the physical realm of cannabis gardening....making it happen...less BS more action...... indoor goo goo guru dirt and stuff ya know.
.. Pix soonish..

Gascanastan

Veteran
salt and pepper

salt and pepper

Don't forget your table salt!

That and one of those special 'teas' made from California desert roadkill and rotting Yucca stumps.

I've got a line on some really special agrosalt 56....it's harvested from an ancient lake in siberia and therefore good to use in dirt farmin'......
So I've got to ask.....how far along should my milk soaked possums be before the mix with the yucca stumps??? And then spray on my pot plants for increased super gorilla growth right.....

Gascanastan

Veteran
I heard you can turn your strain strawberry by adding some strawberry nestle quik to your nute regimen, but the secret is to use the powder, not the syrup

Bullshit man.......it's strawberry shasta dude...it's got co2 which makes it grow and turn flavors.....duh.

shmalphy

Veteran
Applied my first nettle tea today. I ordered the seeds earlier in the season, and I finally had enough to make a half gallon. I can see why the bugs stay away, that stuff smells like horse crap, only worse. It looks like you sprayed green spray paint on your plants though, and there is almost immediate noticeable growth. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.