What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregor_mendel

A few questions:

1. I looked at the locally available lava rocks today, and they are about 2" diameter. Is that too big?

2. Still on drainage amendments. I have about 20 gallons of hydrokorrels. It is essentially hydroton that is irregularly shaped, and a little smaller. Any reason not to use this? The only reason I can think of is that other drainage amendments such as rice hulls, pumice, (neither available locally) and lava rock would all add minerals to the mix, and the hydrokorrels would not.

3. I picked up some crusher fines at a local gravel pit today. What size sieve is recommended? Or just skip the sieve and add it as a rock dust / drainage amendment combo?

Thanks in advance

g_m

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
SoooHaggard

I received your PM but your mail box is locked. ICMAG has this deal that until you get 50 posts (or something like that), then you can only have a single PM so that others cannot answer you or whatever. Not sure why that is but it is.

Anyway - good to 'see' you - your knowledge & input will be greatly appreciated by everyone at ICMAG

Do you have a Calcium deficiency by any chance?

Just curious - mildly

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
A few questions:

1. I looked at the locally available lava rocks today, and they are about 2" diameter. Is that too big?

2. Still on drainage amendments. I have about 20 gallons of hydrokorrels. It is essentially hydroton that is irregularly shaped, and a little smaller. Any reason not to use this? The only reason I can think of is that other drainage amendments such as rice hulls, pumice, (neither available locally) and lava rock would all add minerals to the mix, and the hydrokorrels would not.

3. I picked up some crusher fines at a local gravel pit today. What size sieve is recommended? Or just skip the sieve and add it as a rock dust / drainage amendment combo?

Thanks in advance

g_m
g_m

Lava rock is great. I've been too busy to get to the farm store to pick-up rice hulls and the landscape yard is 1/2 mile away. $2.00 for 5 gallon bucket - you load your own buckets.

Obviously lava is from a volcano. As is Pumice, Azomite, Bentonite, Zeolite, Basalt and I'm sure I'm missing another 50 or so. That does not mean that they identical in structure (very important differences) or that the 'mineral' levels are identical - they are not.

If you were a farmer and your direction was 'soil building' then these differences could come into play - not by much.

In a 10 week garden? If that? It couldn't possibly matter less. It would be like arguing about using Calcite Lime (96% Calcium Carbonate) vs. Oyster Shell Powder (96.01% Calcium Carbonate) - LOL

I'm not familiar with hydrokorrels or Hydroton (sp?) so I looked it up. Not much information other than it's 'kiln-fired clay' which is an interesting concept since that are a HUGE range of materials that could be called 'clay' so it's like calling dinner a casserole - uh huh - what's in it.

Hopefully someone who's more knowledgeable on current materials can be more helpful that I can - which is nothing.
That's what I would do.

HTH

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
CC, I'm looking at BioAG's VAM-Endo at your suggestion. I know you've mentioned it multiple times, but we're starting to get spread over a lot of threads here in organic these days and I can't remember, what other product did you suggest from them?
MrSterling

I use BioAg's straight Humic acid and their Fulvic acid. It's called Ful-Power and that has to do with the current labeling regulations in Oregon & California and will probably be coming to other states as well. Long story and fairly pointless but it is what it is.

But you might want to consider using their TM-7 product in lieu of the pure Humic acid. The 'TM' stands for 'trace minerals' and the '7' indicates that there are 7 included. But it isn't just any 7 nor is BioAg the only company that has a '7 Trace Mineral' product - it's available from several companies.

The 7 trace minerals include the following: Sulfur, Boron, Cobalt, Molybdenum, Copper, Iron, Manganese and Zinc.

This product includes their base Humic acid so you're not losing anything in that regard. The application rate is the same, i.e. 1/4 tsp. to 1 gallon of water. This is 1 gram. 100 grams is $15.00 so each gallon costs you $.15

The base Humic acid is $12.00 for 100 grams with the same application. So you'd be increasing your cost per gallon by $.03!!!

Most importantly is to follow their application rates. Their products are not the gunk and junk at a grow store. This is the real deal and if you high-dose then they will promise you that you can have some major issues that all the flushing in the world won't resolve.

Especially on the liquid Fulvic acid - stay within their guidelines and you'll be good. Imagine a company selling you a product and telling you to hold back.

On another thread you asked me about OMRI and I'll be more than happy to to that but you need to be aware that this has been a really tough week on the Hater deal....

So far I'm hating seaweed extract, general stupidity, douche bags, soap, someone's right to grow dank and probably several others. All false of course but on OMRI - that one I would definitely fall into the Hater category.

Here's the nicest thing that I can say about them: the entire organization is without merit. They are extortionists of the worse kind - I'd rather deal with a Lucchese capo than do a sit down with these clowns.

Again - that's the nicest thing I can say...

Here's a suggestion for their daily mantra: "We are the uneducated led by the unqualified to do the unnecessary"

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
All this free information you keep posting.....while smoking sativas. Clearly a sinner and not up to par with what the coolest of the cool kids are doing down at the local church youth center. I think we may have ourselves a non-believer in modern chemicals that can grow the dank with yo....

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
There are 3 major horticulture shows around the world each year - Germany, Tokyo and Portland, Oregon and the local one is the Farwest Show which is next weekend. This show is sponsored by the Oregon Association of Nurseries and it is not a retail 'home & garden show' at all.

So I was going through the new products list and Hi Caliper (parent company of the SmartPots product line) has a new one they've released called the Big Bag Bed

Holds 1/2 c.y. of mix
13.5 s.f. of growing space
Dimensions: 50" x 12" - 100 gallons/380 liters

$39.95 each

BagFilling.jpg

Bag_raking.jpg
They look like an interesting product for some growers perhaps. The price is certainly right.

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
'Big Bag'........could have narrowed it down a bit more for this demographic...'Phat-Sack'...I should have been on someone's marketing team rather than struggling to grow this troublesome and hard to grow plant...not sure.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
self contained sea of green.. lots of room for smaller plants.

gregor_mendel

Thanks to CC for your input on aggregate and rock dust.

My local feeds stores frustrate me, as none have rice hulls, alfalfa meal, or kelp meal.

But they give away alfalfa sweepings. I guess I will run them over with a lawn mower, lay them flat in my garage for a few days to dry, and call it dry alfalfa tea.

I have to say, even if the plants I grow turn out to be just like my hydro mineral salt grown plants, the whole collection process is fun, translates to all my vegetable gardening outdoors, and can involve rug rats, who are also involved in the outdoor veggie gardens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts