What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Durdy

I think I will pick up a mix seeing as it is for 100 gal no till outdoor beds :D

Thanks for the insights everyone

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
According to The Rodale Institute, the benefit from worm castings (which isn't the same thing as vermicompost) flat-lines above 25% - benefit remains the same.

But you and I will never have worm castings to work with except by accident. It takes several months (about 18) to achieve 100% worm castings. Top-quality vermicompost should have 65 - 75% actual castings - depending on who is trying to make the sale.

CC

W89

Veteran
thanks for the info, when I come to use the vermicompost in my tub is would have been about 3.5 months in the making I will only use a small amount to re-amend my soil and will use it fully at 6 months, ut I only add very small amounts of anything nowadays so they are mostely just recycling whats already been eaten and shat out..Give it another month or so and my compost will be at the point where I could run it through my worm bins so will make for some great vermicompost im sure. I just had confirmation my worms will be here friday, means I will have about 5 to 6 thousad worms that's not incl all the babies which are around the 4 to 5000 mark I would guess will be swimming in wormcompost in no time

W89

Veteran
Yesturday when I was at my mums I looked through a bag of organic compost and I picked out a few hard black lumps-see picture was hard to focus on this. when you squease them they crumble into black powdery substance and some bits into a more brown substance would these contain any noticable amount of humic acid? I've just placed an order for ful-humix and it just got me thinking .... If I crush it up and mix it with water would it add any humic acid? just a crazy thought duno if I'm barking up the silly tree or not lol

It looks wet in the pic because it is I wet it when adding some worms to a bucket from my compost pile as it was on the dry side of moist for the worms..

I think it may be composed wood chips or something as it looks similar to some ive had in the past

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 12
Nice SSurfer! I was wondering about using 'kelp' from the Yellowstoned River...I guess as soon as it thaws I will....

There ain't no kelp in the Jellystone man. Catch a whitefish or two and throw them in your compost pile. There is plenty of 'land kelp' around here...AKA alfalfa....good luck trying to source some that is organic.

Y

YosemiteSam

Has anyone grown with straight EWC and aeration? are there any benefits to it?

Just a guess but with that much actual humus you would be in danger of the soil compacting big time. And I am not sure the drainage amendment would stop it...you would have a bunch of tiny humus particles collapsing right around the monster perlite particles. It is as much about the overall particle size distribution as it is about adding drainage amendments.

And if it did collapse you are going to get anerobic conditions pretty quick I would think.

But...just a guess, I have not actually seen it with me own eyeballs.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no doubt compaction would be an issue in containers

i had volunteers in the worm bin {bathtub} both squash and peas

vigorous vegetative growth ~no flower

W89

Veteran
#I picked out about 100 cocoons from my worm bin and now ive watched 2 hatch out lol if you see the real dark brown/red ones out they are gonna hatch real soon

O

OKD

There ain't no kelp in the Jellystone man. Catch a whitefish or two and throw them in your compost pile. There is plenty of 'land kelp' around here...AKA alfalfa....good luck trying to source some that is organic.
LOL I mean whatever kind of stuff that is that grows off the bottom of the river. Guess I was thinking I would use iit in my compost tea instead of kelp meal or the liquid seaweed I am using. I'm such a cheapskate.
Ya, fish, that's what the ol' lady says. I am just working on composting chicken poop for now :)

W89

Veteran
Never seen that before. Grats w89!

me either un till tonight and i saw 2 within a couple of hours of each other was really cool to watch!

Been on a little spending spree lol I just ordered 6 x russian comfrey root starts of ebay.. Hopefully these ones will come as the last ones didnt...

I got another 3k redworms on the way too and a manifold for my pump up un till now ive just been running a thick hose from my pump and water jumps out the bucket as it' so much pressure, So I got a 12 outlets manifold for £10 will run a bunch of small hoses off that to soften the splashing.

On another note my plants are starting to bud up nicely it's day 22 flower and resins have been showing the last few days they are all nice and healthy and praying from the old enzyme teas will sticck up some pictures tomorrow

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Or Armpit of america, or butthole of america or pit-stop to vegas..... or is that Victorville? or San Bernardino? I feel for you man, the living in barstow part :shudder:

I'm leaning toward the heat related as well, I get heat that is just barely manageable with no AC, only for 2 months tops, and it's kinda happening across the board with all strains, to a certain extent anyways, so I'm looking forward to confirming this and for the cooler weather to finally return, I love snow outside, icicles hanging off the roof, and a garden-heated house all winter :)

I've found three things that influence foxtails. The first (heat) as suggested. The second (genetics) which leads to the third (constant light cycle). Run a clone of landrace or old school sativas indoors at 12/12 and the same clone outdoors with reducing daylight. See which one shows the more significant foxtail effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.