What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrSterling

Cann - I've used 50% aloe vera in foliar sprays after plants have seen some serious abuse. I saw no problems.

W89

Veteran
My powder should be no longer than 2 days from tomorrow, can't wait to start using it.. when I was using the aloe plant I had the plants were very small, now they are bigger I should see the benefit more now that I will be able to continue using it and not run out

Y

YosemiteSam

Ca25 is Calcium Chloride...a very high salt index and it ain't exactly going to translocate in the plant after spraying. Much better to use an amino product...maybe JH Bio has an amino chelated Ca for spray. If not Albion makes a great product...chuck just a little Boron in with it for an even better response.

invocation

I bought a nice yellow aloe from a local nursery. Before that I was using George's distilled aloe. It's nice to have a live plant when available. I plan to do the same with other botanicals instead of using dry when the time comes.

Last edited:

Stone Walls

I just wanted to show my thanks and respect to those whom have contributed. Your knowledge is invaluable and has helped shaped my farming future for the better. I know, I've seen it many times already, but I must give thanks and praise.

I realize I have a large population of whatever these organisms/buildup may be occupying majority of the rocks around my gravel house. It rains very often here.

My thoughts were that if they live and feed on a rock surface, some of their livelihood must come from the rock? It is greenish-white (more on the white side) and the thought of harvesting this mysterious substance and using it to feed my plants intrigued me. (I also have green moss growing all over the place...)

I understand my explanation is very vague, but I'd like to post a picture or two and perhaps learn something...
153mg5d.jpg

t62zb4.jpg

Aloha

Stone Walls

Lichen! That is indeed what it is. There may be hope for agricultural application, but I can't seem to find anything more concerning this.
"In agricultural practices the lichen metabolites (mycobiont culture/ lichen fermentation) may be used against several crop plant pathogens like Fusarium, Alternaria, Phytopthora, Albugo etc as well as other bacterial and viral pathogens. These metabolites may be used during seed sowing (mixed with seeds) or spraying over seedlings it develops defense at rhizosphere as well as phyllosphere region of the crop plant. "
Writing can be found here.
Although I may not have found my "secret sauce", I did learn a thing or two about Lichen whilst reading. Thanks again.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Stone Walls

Interesting that you found that obscure web site since it is fairly new. Check out some of the articles in the archives which covers a huge range of topics. The article on Barley is a good one to start with

CC

Stone Walls

Interesting indeed, I didn't realize there was more to be found! Thank you for that, I'll check the Barley article out...

Punch in "Lichen as fertilizer" in google and there she is, 3rd to last.

...It seems I have a bunch of reading to do, they have a few topics I'd love to take a look at!

I threw some leftover barley sprouts in my worm bin a few days ago...when I popped the lid I couldn't believe my eyes...worm city...in the 4 or 5 years I've had these worms I've never seen them proliferate like this and they really enjoy coffee, og banana peels and cannabis leaves. Nothing has created a mass of worms like the leftover barley./

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Stone Walls

The Barley Project at Oregon State University created this web site Barley World that you will probably find helpful. A lot of their research is available to review and look down other avenues perhaps. The links page is a good resource as well.

Barley is a very important crop in Oregon and that is the purpose behind this site. Some of my emails and questions probably had them scratching their heads - LOL

CC

Stone Walls

Wonderful! Seeing as how I'm moving to the Pacific Northwest in the near future, this is exactly what I've been looking for. What's even funnier, I am hopeful to attend OSU also.

It seems as though I've come to the right place.

Cann

"It seems as though I've come to the right place."

My thoughts exactly upon finding this group of folks. :tiphat: Very glad to be here :biggrin:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
What do you use for your fungicide and pest controls, I know OR has a plethora of PM and Mites. Neem Oil, Spinosad, Agsil 16, and Aloe Vera seem to be the four that I hear the most from organic growers?
somoz

That's pretty much the program I've been running for a few years with some changes like moving from Pro-TeKt to AgSil 16 and liquid Aloe vera to the concentrated, freeze-dried powders - 1 gram to 3.5 gallons of water = 1/4 cup Aloe vera juice to 1 gallon of water. You save about 75% using powders vs. the liquid products. That's a pretty big savings.

With the organic Neem oil (or Karanja) you're getting both pesticide and fungicide compounds. About 1 spray per week is all that I have to use to prevent problems. That changes for a couple of months during the summer (heat & humidity) so I bump the program up with botanical teas made with various members of the Mint family - Rosemary, Cilantro, Lavender, Thyme and Peppermint have been the most effective for me but there are a slew of choices. You can definitely scratch Sage off your list. Basils are equally worthless other than the Holy Basil (Tulsi).

The reason I started using these specific plants is that you can find them in commercial products made for greenhouse food production and are used in Canada and Holland meaning that their safety and effectiveness have been clearly established.

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts