Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vonforne

picture.php

W89

Veteran
oops didnt realise it was coot, should I remove due to security reasons? think of all the flocks of chicks that will chase him now!

haha good one scrappy!! :)

Y

YosemiteSam

I don't know this for an absolute fact but calcining clay or de (burning it in a kiln to a certain temp/time) more than likely makes it inert...not available.

I like to use a little Red Lake Earth...de (amorphous) and montmerillite (no way I spelled that right) with some Ca. Good chit mang.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
LITHOS & IBB

Just a couple of thoughts without having read any of the documents....

The species used for baking and creating alcohol is Saccharomyces cerevisiae in the kingdom Fungi. It works by converting Carbohydrates to Carbon dioxide & alcohols.

I can understand how that would play out in the soil and what will be interesting to learn is how these microbes would work on the surface of the leaves and branches, i.e. what is their food source would be a good question. Then you could possibly establish the time period that it would remain effective not unlike using Spinosad pesticide but that's a bacteria culture and I'm not sure what its food source is if any.

Interesting for sure......

CC

John Deere

Veteran
Totally agree....I would add that the lower fan leaves will fall off naturally when they don't have access to light or through natural senescence in flowering (varies by cultivar). In the Pacific NW though, where powdery mildew is so prevalent, I have found that if you get too dense with your leaves that air flow is restricted, it's damn near impossible to prevent PM. If that wasn't such an issue, I would love to just leave as many leaves as possible on the plants.

+1

Yep, I've thinned my canopy when my cab was too full in late summer, with high temps and humidity. Look at your whole picture and thin if your mold risk is high.

Living organic soil from start through recycling

LITHOS & IBB

Just a couple of thoughts without having read any of the documents....

The species used for baking and creating alcohol is Saccharomyces cerevisiae in the kingdom Fungi. It works by converting Carbohydrates to Carbon dioxide & alcohols.

I can understand how that would play out in the soil and what will be interesting to learn is how these microbes would work on the surface of the leaves and branches, i.e. what is their food source would be a good question. Then you could possibly establish the time period that it would remain effective not unlike using Spinosad pesticide but that's a bacteria culture and I'm not sure what its food source is if any.

Interesting for sure......

CC

@CC see my "nutritional yeast" thread in advanced living soil - here's a collected cross post:

This stuff has b vitamins, proteins, amino acids and this stuff called glutamic acid. Hmm sounds like the kinda shit we might be interested in...

So I google "glutamic acid plant growth" and I find:
http://int.agrinos.com/L-amino_acids_plant_impact

"L-glutamic acid and L-aspartic acid, through transamination, give make way for the rest of the amino acids. L-proline and hydroxiproline act mainly in the plant’s hydro balance. They act on a cell’s wall by increasing resistance to unfavorable weather conditions. L-alanine, L-valine, and L-leucine increase the quality of fruits. L-histidine assists in the appropriate fruit maturation."

A couple more gems:

"
Chelation
Amino acids have a chelating effect for micronutrients. When jointly applied with micro elements, their absorption and transportation inside the plant simplifies. This is caused by chelation and membrane permeability. L-glycine and L-glutamic acid amino acids are known as very effective chelating agents."

"
Observations when applying amino acids to plants
Trophic effect:

Free amino acids, when quickly metabolized, give birth to biologically active substances. They also invigorate and stimulate vegetation.

Hormonal effect:

Free amino acids stimulate the formation of:

Chlorophyll
Indole-3-Acetic acid
Vitamins
Various enzymatic systems
Trophic + Hormonal effect:

Flowering is stimulated
Better fruit setting
Higher precociousness, size and coloration of fruits.
Higher brix grade
Greater vitamin content"

More junk I posted:
And this little bit about yeast increasing the yield an oil content of borage:
"Effect of Dry Yeast: Adding dry yeast at the rates of (2, 4 and 6g/L.) increased growth parameters and oil percentage of borage plants compared with control treatment. In 2006/2007 season, increasing the dose of dry yeast from 2g/L. to 4g/L. showed significant differences in the mean values of fresh weight of aerial parts, number of suckers, seed weight and oil%.

The same trend was observed when applying the highest rate (6g/L.) of dry yeast. In the second season, only the fresh weight of aerial parts, number of suckers and oil% had statistically responded to application of 2,4 and 6g/L. Obviously the level of 6g/L. of dry yeast gave the highest record of studied parameters.
Stimulating vegetative growth by using dry yeast may be due to its influence on the nutritional signal transduction producing growth regulators and suppressing pathogen[27]. It is also a natural source of cytokinins that stimulates cell proliferation and differentiation, controlling shoot and root morphogenesis and chloroplast maturation[12]. El- Tohamy and El-Greadly[28] revealed that dry yeast treatments (5 and 10 g/L.) result in improving pods quality of snap beans plants (Phaseouls vulgaris) in
98.42 14 21.00 131.0 28 ــ 6.03 0.87 1.05 3.32
terms of chlorophyll, protein, carbohydrates and decreased fiber content.

Yet more of my drivel:
An this:

Active dry yeast is a natural safety biofertilizers causes various promotive effect on plants. It is considered as a natural source of cytokinins which simulates cell division and enlargement as well as the synthesis of protein, nucleic acid and B-vitamin[12]. It also releases CO2 which reflected in improving net photosynthesis[13].
Heikal[14] reported that active dry yeast as foliar fertilizer enhanced growth, plant nutritional and essential oil yield of thyme plants. Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa) plants sprayed with dry yeast at a rate of 2gL-1, showed the highest yield of calyxes as revealed by[15]. Khedr and Farid[16] demonstrated that the effect of dry yeast is due to its capability in induction of endogenous hormones like GA3 and IAA. Moreover, several investigators studied the response of other plants to application of dry yeast i.e. El-Sayed et al[17] on coriander, Naguib and Khalil[18] on black cumin and Wahba[19] on Oenothera plants. Recently, dry yeast is used as an alternative source of growth substances in bio/organic fertilization system."

Note the phrase: "THE HIGHEST YIELD OF CALYXES"

W89

Veteran
the way I have my intake set up is through the floor of my cupboard so the air is being suck up through the plants and out the top thought that would make for better flow and even air distribution.. instead of having it in the bottom corner and only hitting the plant next to it... if it does get too humid I will make the choice then whether to thin it out a bit

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
IBB

Enzymes are made from Amino acids and they are Proteins. When an Enzyme is formed, it is made by stringing together between 100 and 1,000 Amino acids in a very specific and unique order. The chain of Amino acids then folds into a unique shape.

That shape allows the enzyme to carry out specific chemical reactions - an Enzyme acts as a very efficient catalyst for a specific chemical reaction. The Enzyme speeds that reaction up tremendously.

For example, the sugar Maltose is made from two Glucose molecules bonded together. The Enzyme Maltase is shaped in such a way that it can break the bond and free the two glucose pieces. The only thing that Maltase can do is break Maltose molecules but it can do that very rapidly and efficiently. Other types of Enzymes can put atoms and molecules together.

Breaking molecules apart and putting molecules together is what Enzymes do, and there is a specific Enzyme for each chemical reaction needed to make the cell work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts