What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vonforne

I have some Dead Sea salt that works great on my skin! Really, I can feel the minerals absorb into my pores while bathing.

Think it would work on my plants?

Y

YosemiteSam

The real problem is the Cl- anions. The rest of the mineral profile looks great...but when the anion is Cl you have the highest salt index possible and the serious potential to kill a massive amount of microbes in a big hurry. Check out all of the studies on CaCl...the Ca ion is fantastic, the Cl is a stone cold killer though.

Or, observationally, ask farmers what happens to their worm populations when the use CaCl. They go away.

It is not a bad theory...but in practice it is not something people that rely on "living soil" need to be using.

VortexPower420

Veteran
I recommend using observations or readings or studies or... rather than knowledge
I use all to ...... Gain knowledge. I read, listen observe and infer from my learning, the knowledge I present.
Im not sure what you use for your very knowledgeable post but i guess I mistook it for knowledge.
I admire your level of self taught education, it is an inspiration, doesn't mean you got to be the smartest man in the room. Just sayin...

YS-Well I have been using what I have been preaching and I can say worms are not dieing they are thriving. My soil is 100% alive. I pull up some of my alfalfa hay/help mulch and millions of baby white wilgglers, enough to start another worm bin. Well I guess i got a bin in my pots.
and the plants could not be happier. I look to Gas's pictures as a standard, and I believe I am toeing the line.

Don't get me wrong This thread and all who have participated primarily Gas, CC, MM, YS Shmalphaly (and anyone else I forgot) have really done some great things and have help push me put down the bottle and go where I know I can go.
While I don't follow some of the recipes here to a T I appreciate what they are and use them in the tool box of knowledge I am building for my self.
Sorry If I am hijacking it in anyway I have just made alot of connections in the past week or so, and the information is sound and backed by real life farmers and 100,000 acre farm consultants doing just what I am talking about. I love AH moments and like to share them with like minded people. This living soil thing is just that alive and very variable and many was to look at it.

Do no harm to the soil microbes, just feed them and your plants will reward you 1000 times over.
If I'm bothering anyone Ill go start my own thread I just thought this is all in line with what everyone is doing here Just trying to spread my "knowledge" to those who will listen.
Timbuktu

W89

Veteran
Hows it going Darc... Maybe I could go back EDIT a post and give you a "shout out" lol

Scrappy4

Veteran
oh man...
are we doing the sea water thing again?

I used to use seawater all the time!
to kill weeds in my yard lmao

LOL, funny! I was thinking that since i live many miles from the "sea" I could recreate sea water with pee pee.....

VortexPower420

Veteran
Then you can collect the gold and ate it and be transported directly to the fifth demention, do not pass go do not collect 200 dollars. But you might get $200 in gold from sea monkey poop.

Timbuktu

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just passing through and share a just add water, full organic beauty finishing up... :tiphat:

Karma Genetics - Brotherhood OG

picture.php

picture.php

Just can't beat organics! Keep preaching!!

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Timbuktu; I was not trying to be critical. I usually qualify with 'I have observed' or 'apparently' or 'according to' or IMO or AFAIK. Sometimes I forget or get too full of myself.

My baby wrigglers are sometimes whitish for a duration but sometimes I also get white worms (Enchytraeus albidus) growing along with them

shmalphy

Veteran
Please get 'fermented' out of your lexicon on this one. Fermenting is not a goal in any way. And if some jamoke comes along and tells you to add EM-1 or whatever lactobacillus bacteria concoction - ask them to take a flying leap at a rolling pastry - i.e. go screw a doughnut!

LOL

CC
This contradicts what I am reading here:

Microbes in the tailoring of
barley malt properties

Previously the significance of yeasts in the malting ecosystem has been largely
underestimated. This study showed that a numerous and diverse yeast
community consisting of both ascomycetous (25) and basidiomycetous (18)
species occured in the industrial malting ecosystem. Yeast and yeast-like fungi
produced extracellular hydrolytic enzymes with a potentially positive
contribution to malt processability. Furthermore, several yeast strains showed
strong antagonistic activity against field and storage moulds.

The management of microbes in the whole barley-malt-beer chain is extremely
important with respect to both process and product safety and quality. Lactic
acid bacteria (LAB) can be used to tailor the malt properties. Lactobacillus
plantarum VTT E-78076 (E76) and Pediococcus pentosaceus VTT E-90390
(E390) added to steeping water promoted yeast growth and restricted the growth
of Gram-negative bacteria and Fusarium fungi. Furthermore, they had positive
effects on malt characteristics and notably improved wort separation. Some of
the beneficial effects observed with LAB were due to the lactic acid production
and concomitant lowering of pH. Futhermore, increase in the number of yeasts
could partly explain the enhanced xylanase and β-glucanase levels observed
after LAB addition.

I based my recipe for "seed teas" this off of Rejuvalc, which is a fermented beverage. I have been into wild fermentation since I was 14 years old brewing my own hard cider, and I have been on Sandoor Katz email list for years. I had been wanting to make a batch with rye for awhile, and never got around to it until I saw it in this thread.

CC, when you say you are seeing hyphae, I am guessing that could actually be clumps of yeast, since hyphae is invisible to the naked eye.

Cann

ha...i wonder how many of us have made wild hard cider via Sandor's recipe. His book opened my eyes to the power and importance of microbes for human health, as well as the health of the earth (not to mention flora...).

how do you join his mailing list? I was unaware of this...

Timbuktu; I was not trying to be critical. I usually qualify with 'I have observed' or 'apparently' or 'according to' or IMO or AFAIK. Sometimes I forget or get too full of myself.

My baby wrigglers are sometimes whitish for a duration but sometimes I also get white worms (Enchytraeus albidus) growing along with them

For a long time I thought all those really tiny white worms were baby red wigglers....would have been alot cooler if they were. I thought they were some sort of larvae. Are you talking about the really small white worms, MM, they are usually abundant and active on the fresher, less decomposed material on the top of the pile.

Timbuktu- I hate to say this man. But unless you have a Ph.D. in Horticulture/Botany...there isn't much you are gonna "teach" anyone. This is a place where I come to 'learn'. You would 'gain' more 'knowledge' if you drop the attitude, psuedo-science, and just listened.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Timbuktu- I hate to say this man. But unless you have a Ph.D. in Horticulture/Botany...there isn't much you are gonna "teach" anyone. This is a place where I come to 'learn'. You would 'gain' more 'knowledge' if you drop the attitude, psuedo-science, and just listened.

yeah really; i had been growing organically for 15 years when i started visiting here and; it was a paradigm shift!

:thank you:

SillyGoose

Wow this thread is seriously Gold!

I recently picked up a bottle of organic aloe vera "juice" which contains potassium sorbate along with citric acid for a preservative. I'm feeling good about the citric acid, but i havn't seen potassium sorbate discussed in this thread yet (im still on page 280 or so, so forgive me if it has already been mentioned).

Anyone got the scoop on potassium sorbate?

I've applied two applications of aloe via cutting fresh plants and the results have been impressive to say the least...

1 gallon of this juice for 11 bucks.

Many thanks!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rancho;

Yes the tiny white worms that do not grow into composting worms can be one of several species. If they are the one I named thay usually appear in cooler situations but there are two other smaller species which can appear. Some refer to these worms generally as pot worms. There are also some which are verging microscopic but the name evades me. They have really cool points like dragon armour on their posterior segments. Their width almost fills a 200x field of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts