What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
picture.php

strawd just before chop, bout 65 days......Is it hydro? Hell No. Organic goodness.

picture.php

peace
jip

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
i think shes living....this mix is sans lime, made up of recycled promix, bagged ewc, crab shell, kelp meal, bone and blood, greensand and bagged compost from a local organic dairy farm. little blood topdress, not too shabby of a result
next run has alfalfa instead of blood

peace
jip

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
i think shes living....this mix is sans lime, made up of recycled promix, bagged ewc, crab shell, kelp meal, bone and blood, greensand and bagged compost from a local organic dairy farm. little blood topdress, not too shabby of a result
next run has alfalfa instead of blood

peace
jip

Kewl...I'd smoke it.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was an existing 'sub-culture created' national standard that all growers automatically list the method of cultivation and products/materials used...we would have proly got to the bottom of the organic vs. chem debate once and for all a very long time ago.
Gas

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A quick question Gas.
Well, maybe not too quick.

I am getting my next run ready for No-till in my 17 gal pots(I grow em big)
I already have new amended soil cooking.
I read in one of the posts here, that oak leaves can be used in the soil mix.
I have a clean monster leaf pile thats getting all dark in the middle.

Would this leaf matter help get me started on the right path?
If yes, how much into a cu. ft. and does it need to be ground up?

I'm looking forward to not carrying so much soil for every run.
Thanks in advance.

reverseosmosis4

Appreciation and Love

Appreciation and Love

Hello all,

After 2 weeks of reading 395 thread pages....me and R/O "ette" would like to join the conversation.

As our first post, I would like to thank ALL of the helpful participants that deserve great thanks for their time and effort.

In one word, I am able to summarize my thanks!

Excellent.jpg

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
A quick question Gas.
Well, maybe not too quick.

I am getting my next run ready for No-till in my 17 gal pots(I grow em big)
I already have new amended soil cooking.
I read in one of the posts here, that oak leaves can be used in the soil mix.
I have a clean monster leaf pile thats getting all dark in the middle.

Would this leaf matter help get me started on the right path?
If yes, how much into a cu. ft. and does it need to be ground up?

I'm looking forward to not carrying so much soil for every run.
Thanks in advance.

Let it breakdown and then add to your soil mix. You want the fungi from this material and what isn't consumed by fungi will make food for organisms,breaking down further. The eventual humic material,and other goodies like minerals,etc. will be utilized.

I'd treat this material once composted in a soil mix or compost, exactly like a composted material when adding to a soil mix.

Balance with aeration amendments for sure,I'd add 1 gallon composted leaf litter per 5 to 8 gallons of soil mix.

You can run the material through a screen...or not.

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let it breakdown and then add to your soil mix. You want the fungi from this material and what isn't consumed by fungi will make food for organisms,breaking down further. The eventual humic material,and other goodies like minerals,etc. will be utilized.

I'd treat this material once composted in a soil mix or compost, exactly like a composted material when adding to a soil mix.

Balance with aeration amendments for sure,I'd add 1 gallon composted leaf litter per 5 to 8 gallons of soil mix.

You can run the material through a screen...or not.

Right on Man!
So really, it's the black leaf mold that we're trying to retrieve.
I'll let it break down a bit more, than throw it in a clean garbage can little at a time and blend it up with a weed eater.

I'm already using a well aerated mix with 1/3 pumic by volume.
Amended with crab, kelp, bone, bloodmeals.
5% EWC, glacial rock dust, Humic acid, greensand, and mycos.
Got 10 yards of this mix already sitting in a clean bin.

I know it's not perfect, but 1 additive at a time, and gonna rock some serious sticky, no-till style.

Got a new 25 gal ACT brewer coming, along with 10 quarts pure aloe leaf juice, and already sitting on 10 gals of neptune fish and seaweed fert's

I'm not wasting any ones time, I'm a great student and gonna make this happen.
Thanks for helping me out.
:tiphat:

Weyenot

Yea Stan you must be high or somethin LOL your pictures are great! But I know what you mean, the lighting and ambiance and shit, takes too much time, and talent that I don't have.

But I dig this buds shadow, looks like Homer from the Simpsons for some reason
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=40278&pictureid=1002705View Image

I agree with BLW and rrog, you take some awesome pics Gas!! Not only are they beautiful to look at, they make for some serious motivation. Gas, maybe youre just picky, or should I say selective?

BJW - Im liking that frosty pillar too!! I can totally see homer too, no stretch of the imagination required; I also see Bert from sesame street, bushy eyebrows and all!

Scrappy4

Veteran
SG1, oak leaves make good compost and it's easy to get started. Look in a farm store for a bag of alfalfa meal, preferably organic, then add it in layers to your leaf pile. Wet it and soon it will heat up and eventually become compost. It will without alfalfa but adding it could shave a year off the time it takes. Another way that I have not tried myself is to put it in a black plastic bag, get it damp and seal it up. That would make leaf mold, and it takes several months. Either way those old leaves improve soil structure and will make it well worth your time to compost them......scrappy

Weyenot

Kewl...I'd smoke it.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was an existing 'sub-culture created' national standard that all growers automatically list the method of cultivation and products/materials used...we would have proly got to the bottom of the organic vs. chem debate once and for all a very long time ago.
Gas

YES,YES,YES! This is exactly what we need, total transparency/honesty. One of my goals is to be able to happily tell everyone who asks and even those who dont that they are smoking 100% plant, a happy plant at that!! Thank you for voicing this Gas; if we keep this up and tell as many as we can than the idea will continue to grow like the soil we cultivate:) Tip that scale on over into the positive!

Weyenot

SG1, oak leaves make good compost and it's easy to get started. Look in a farm store for a bag of alfalfa meal, preferably organic, then add it in layers to your leaf pile. Wet it and soon it will heat up and eventually become compost. It will without alfalfa but adding it could shave a year off the time it takes. Another way that I have not tried myself is to put it in a black plastic bag, get it damp and seal it up. That would make leaf mold, and it takes several months. Either way those old leaves improve soil structure and will make it well worth your time to compost them......scrappy

Thank you for the tip on the alfalfa Scrappy, Im going to give that one a go! I was just going pile them up and wait longer but since I have some alf handy, why not? I also have some cottonseed meal, I bet that would do the trick too.....what say you?

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Was at my Farmers Co-op today getting some worm castings.

They always make fun of me for being "all organic"

Today I mentioned that I believe organics is one of the best ways to feed the world and that eventually we all need to get on the organic train before the soil is all depleted... anyways. The conversation was short and he felt that I was Horribly wrong. He indicated that he thought we wouldn't be able to feed half the united states if we all switched to Organics..... Oh well. Hopefully the next generation that works there won't be so naive.

I mean! What about the Bugs and the weeds! The world would end without all the poison we spray on our crops.

Ah... Just had to share that.... Kinda venting.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Thank you for the tip on the alfalfa Scrappy, Im going to give that one a go! I was just going pile them up and wait longer but since I have some alf handy, why not? I also have some cottonseed meal, I bet that would do the trick too.....what say you?

I don't know about the Cottonseed meal.

I've been told by several people that the cottonseed carries many chemicals with it... so if you do use it... make sure you compost it really really well after you add it to the leaves. I'm sure others will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts