What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Living in Scotland

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are wanting to move to Scotland in the next few years and I wanted to talk to and possibly get acquainted with some folks that actually live there. I do have a few questions as well:

How are americans treated in Scotland? (May seem like a stupid question, but I seriously have no clue LOL)

Is it hard to move there? I've done some research and have basically found out that you really need to go through England to gain entrance and citizenship in Scotland. This obviously takes a while...hence moving "in a few years" as opposed to moving "yesterday".

How is the job market in Scotland, specifically in the technical field?

Any other pearls of wisdom for a future expat of the u.s.?

I'm just itching to make some friends over there, and this seemed like a better place to start than every where else I have found.

Thanks for any replies in advance!

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
Scotland is a good place to live, don't expect good weather as its pretty crap
jobs are not to hard to get if you have skills
Americans are welcome and you will not get any shit for being American
Getting a work visa is not hard esp if you can line up a job before you come over

rocket high

Veteran
well greentrich some scots think Americans are loud and arrogant but not me .ive met plenty at the Edinburgh festival who were very nice people, you might have a problem with the accent as it differs from region to region , and being in this recession jobs are few and far between at the moment but that might change in a few years, so make the move my friend, your welcome here :)

Great to hear! I'm very excited about this whole thing I've started.

OldPink...love the avatar. One of my favorite albums.

The weather there is one of the things I'm looking forward to. I love that kind of weather.

well greentrich some scots think Americans are loud and arrogant

Funny enough...I agree with some of those scots. But then again, I'm sure there are loud and arrogant Italians, French, Chinese, Russian. I understand we're all a bit different based on the culture we were raised...but in the end we're all human and ALL capable of any positive or negative traits. I'm a firm believer we are all one...literally. So we are all capable of everything...including personality traits.

I have skills in the technical field....IT, networking, automation, etc... I've been in contact with a couple U.S. manufacturers that have offices set up in the UK and they've said there is a demand up in Scotland for their gear.

Thanks for the insight. Just what I needed to know. I want to leave so bad. Why do they (the UK border agency, etc...) have to make it so difficult?! I mean..I know why, it just sucks for the people who really don't plan on freeloading off the UK and coming over to actually be productive members of Scotland's society. That's all I want.

Now for a more specific question....do you all know much about the Hebride islands? I guess more about any existing job market out there. I've almost resigned to the fact I would start my own business. But what would be a good business to start on the islands??

Sorry if I'm rambling, just have a lot of questions.

Thanks again!

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
To get a visa/work permit, you'll need to have a UK company offer you a job...and they must not have been able to get someone from the UK to do it. Usually this means you have a technical skill that is in demand - not always a problem in IT or networking. Most of those jobs in Scotland are based in Glasgow or Edinburgh or in the oil industry, based in Aberdeen on the east coast.
Not so many jobs like that in the Hebrides, which are more fishing and tourism based. You would be unlikely to get a visa based on plans to set up your own business unless you can already prove you are rich enough to not to need to work at all.

I did it the other way many years ago (UK to US) and the US make it just as hard for Brits to work over there. Took me more than 6 months from getting the job offer to actually get permission to move there.

So...get someone to offer you a job first, and everything becomes much easier.

If you already have a criminal record (i.e. felony, or recent misdemeanor), it's much less likely they will grant a visa.

Perfect. Thanks Blimey.
Actually even worse, from what I'm reading, is they have to prove they can't find someone to do the job from the whole EU. So instead of going up against a country, I'm going up against a whole economic union LOL.
I've read that about immigrating to the u.s. That's crazy. I do understand it, doesn't mean it makes me happy. Also from what I see, just getting the visa isn't enough. I have to have that visa, be working and residing there for something like 5 years?! I'll do what I gotta do!

I have no record, so that shouldn't be problem.

rocket high

Veteran
well have a holiday first green in winter if possible coz it doesn't get any worse than that and if its not for you move to jamaica "nice and warm" lol :)

Its Kinda funny some American having to Ask if Americans are Known to Be Loud Arrogant rude tourists waving money around tipping everyone.
No offence meant really but everyone is aware of this international image.
Scotland the brave.

Its Kinda funny some American having to Ask if Americans are Known to Be Loud Arrogant rude tourists waving money around tipping everyone.
No offence meant really but everyone is aware of this international image.
Scotland the brave.

Actually...I didn't ask that. Don't have to, I know first hand how amercians are, just one of the reasons I want to get out of here, and one of the reasons I DID ask how americans were generally treated. This country and the majority of the people in it are...well lets just say I'm not happy at all. But like I said before...I'm sure every society has their "black sheep". I doubt anyone would come on here to write about what a nice group of tourists they just ran into....american or not.

I take no offense Roger. I know I'm lumped in with a culture I'd rather not be associated with. Unfortunately I had no control over where I was born and raised. However..I have that choice and control now and making strides towards a pretty significant change to a part of the world that has more integrity, more respect for each other and the world, and a better culture all around.

DankSide

go for it. Scotland is BEAUTIFUL - spent some time up at the Isle of Sky (skye?) Kilsyth and Glasgow. You may get called a yank or feel something standoffish from a stumbling drunk at a bar, but people there are more welcoming than you'd expect. Bar drama is a standard there and always fun to watch.

I've considered going to live there for a while, but cigarettes make me ill - the smoke and being around them gets me sick. Everyone I knew there chain smoked like a mule. I think I'd have a problem initially finding a buddy to hang out with that didn't smoke cigs and smoked pure. They say its too expensive to be smoking pure joints, and like most europeans, they roll tobacco (yuck) infused spliffs with hash or bud. It really wouldn't matter since the netherlands would be a train or ferry ride away. Growing also always remains an option.

I'd do it. It won't be the normal quality of living that you're used to, but the cultural change alone would be worth it.

closettoker

Hello, Fellow Scot's

Thats sorta funny because I was tracing my genealogy and one of my Lines came from Scotland. William Glass, on my mothers side and my fathers side( my surname ) is from Ireland...what were they thinking! I have no idea. A teacher that my wife knows takes a group of people every year to different places,last year it was France. This year I can buy a trip to Scotland and Ireland for $3500.00 USD per person. I think its a pretty good deal. Like I told my wife, as long as we didn't have to tour around with a big group of people and see what we wanted to see, it would be cool. Don't want to look like a herd of cows in my homeland.
So I'll see if we can come up this the cash.

Have a great day peeps.

CT

You gotta love the rain. Now I meant that. Cause you had better get used to it.
Best of the luck to ya. It`s a great life if you don`t weaken.

M

medi-useA

Scotch...one reason to visit

more scotch...one reason to stay!.

hehehehe

muA

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
it amazes me that people want to go on holyday to anywhere in the U.K!!

unless its an acestral journey! or something....

if you like pubs grey skies, and a load of grumpy rum looking people, then hell scotland awaits you!

northern U.K geography and atmosphere is unique though........i instantly miss that when im abroad, and for some reason i always miss how miserable people are!! but we just do it for fun !!

its like a running national joke that we are all miserable!!

Ha Ha, i love this stupid place!

the politicians, lawyers, corporations, and f*$£ing press....can all go to hell though!! they just ruin everything....

Stihl Stoned

Hi greentrich, Im from Glasgow and my job involves working all across Scotland including the islands, It's a nice place, Cold most of the year but peaceful. I recently moved out the city for a quieter life in Ayrshire where everyone is your neighbour and looks out for you.
Most city folk (glasgow + edinburgh) have caught the 'London bug' (I call it) where nobody sees eye to eye on the street, Everybody for themselves. From Stirling Northwards and Kilmarnock southwards the people have more time for one another and as such are friendlier places.

Now with regards to moving to Scotland you gotta bear something in mind.....

Im guessing that you are a toker or a grower, The quality of cannabis in Scotland and indeed the whole UK is SHOCKINGLY ABYSMUL. Honestly I can't stress this enough, The further North you are the worse it gets. Quality of bud or hashish in the South say.. London is not too bad(by UK standards), Up here though... jeez :(

The hash sold around Scotland isn't even hash! In the late 80s the quality was superb, Then soapbar hash made its mark, Basically mixing hash with contaminents, Quality went lower and lower through the 90s and in the last 5 years the stuff on the street is now contaminents WITHOUT THE HASH INCLUDED! A lot of the street bud sold in Scotland has already been shaken for the trichs, What hasn't is likely to be soaking wet either fresh off the plant or intentionally soaked for extra weight. £160 an oz

It's really that bad, You gotta see it to believe it mate.

With regards to jobs in Scotland you're best bet at the moment would be call centre work, I don't know of any other industry in Scotland at the moment that has jobs going spare, Having a second language will get you places.
If you're destined to live on the islands you're only choices for work really is in the fishing industry, Only other way to scrape a living there would be to setup an online business of some sort.
Hope this helps. :)