What's new

"Live Resin"

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
yeah i am perplexed people get better flavor like that. I have tried it straight off the plant like snake11, it doesnt need explaining really its as simple as he said. i have also tried it well frozen. anyway, i always got LESS flavor. smoother, lower yields, but less flavor.

Permacultuure

Veteran
Our fresh frozen comes off the plants, into a 6x36 sleeved spool. Drive the spool to the extractor, load it up, pull a vac then add dry ice or LCo2 and wait. After at least an hr the extraction begins.

Have had stability issues most of the time but I chalk it up to terps. Maybe we'll try one without freezing next harvest.....

HG23

Wow 6x36 sleeved is a beast column. Nice. Would love to see a pic of that.

I am going to be doing my first fresh frozen runs this season and was just going to pack the columns, vac, freeze and run as normal.

What do you do about clearing solvent from the sleeved column Perma? I have been nervous about using the vapor assist or heat mats on fresh frozen in normal columns, warming the material and getting water contamination/buddering or sugar wax every time. I guess that's where the ability to recover columns separate like SkunkPharm's setup comes in handy. The water trap also.

Dab Strudel

99% of the time I get something that's budder/sugarwax/crumble wax.. its usually because I purge it for a extended period of time.. i thought i read somewere if im wrong please forgive me but i could of sworn fucking greywolf said.. to get below 500ppm.. u can do that in less that 30 minutes.. it might have been someone else.. but i could of sworn it was GW.. but if i fucked up. im sorry GW.. lol. as i cant remember who said it .. and had lab tests to prove it .

Im not confirming your numbers but your about right, it has to do with the cotton candy tek at the end of the extraction. something like warm the bottom to <90*, pull a full vac, let it cool, then it is able to come out by sticking a puddy knife in and working it out.. hopefully I butchered it enough to have GW step in and correct me :dance013:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our fresh frozen comes off the plants, into a 6x36 sleeved spool. Drive the spool to the extractor, load it up, pull a vac then add dry ice or LCo2 and wait. After at least an hr the extraction begins.

Have had stability issues most of the time but I chalk it up to terps. Maybe we'll try one without freezing next harvest.....

I like it! Direct, simple, and to the point!

Do I infer that the 6" is the OD of the outside sleeve?

I've always frozen before pulling vacuum, so as to not rupture any plant cells with the vacuum, but the ice ruptures them anyway, so it may not matter.

I've never extracted material directly off the plant without freezing it first, but I have extracted material that was frozen and by the time it was extracted, it was no longer, so the plant cells were pulp.

It produced a harsher extraction, with a light electric green hue.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
on fresh frozen.. or just dried and run.. u are going to get a sugar wax.. or super sap.. in some cases u get other consistencys but in reality you extracting soo much more terpenes.. I wouldn't worry about the consistency as much as smell taste potency ..

I ran a batch the other day.. nug run.. not fresh.. but got a bunch of water in it when I clipped the waterbath.. I poured the water out.. and still ended up with a SHATTER. after the vac purge.. no problem. so im not understanding the entire moisture causing buddering and such. as ive gotten water in my extracts a many of times.. with 0 buddering .. lol

99% of the time I get something that's budder/sugarwax/crumble wax.. its usually because I purge it for a extended period of time.. i thought i read somewere if im wrong please forgive me but i could of sworn fucking greywolf said.. to get below 500ppm.. u can do that in less that 30 minutes.. it might have been someone else.. but i could of sworn it was GW.. but if i fucked up. im sorry GW.. lol. as i cant remember who said it .. and had lab tests to prove it .

Neither butane or the essential oils are hydrophylic, and will hold some water in suspension as an emulsion, but don't readily mix with it, so it is the water molecules that are already dispersed throughout the essential oil that is ostensibly the issue.

If you recover the essential oil as cotton candy in a Terpenator, you have already expanded it to bubble froth and held it under vacuum until it solidified as shatter in that condition. You couldn't ask for thinner films to purge from.

Alas, the samples I checked developing the cotton candy process, still had butane above 500 ppm, so I no longer bother to check, just finish off in a vacuum oven in thin films, to under 50 ppm.

Part of getting it below 50 ppm residual Class 3 solvents, is to remove the hydrocarbons and non volatiles longer chained than C-4 before extracting, so they are not present in the raw oleoresin you are purging.

One secret to removing the low boiling point butane at a faster rate than the aromatic monoterpenes, is to liquify the puddle in a thin film, and then bring up the vacuum slowly. Stop and hold the vacuum level, each time the activity becomes lively, and resume increasing vacuum levels once it has died down, until you reach a vacuum of around 29.5" Hg.

Another one, is that when the patty boiling activity dies down at full temperature and vacuum, flip the patty and repeat above.

Permacultuure

Veteran

I've always frozen before pulling vacuum, so as to not rupture any plant cells with the vacuum, but the ice ruptures them anyway, so it may not matter.

I've never extracted material directly off the plant without freezing it first, but I have extracted material that was frozen and by the time it was extracted, it was no longer, so the plant cells were pulp.

It's a 6x36 with a 10" sleeve, they a beastly

Sunfire

Veteran
Glacier tanks sells those big sleeved columns now.

I would be extremely scared to vac down fresh buds that weren't frozen, but if it works, that's awesome.

Can anyone give any insight as to chlorophyll, which is toxic to smoke possibly, contaminating your product when doing fresh runs? I have no idea which is why I'm asking, but it's always something I have thought of. Drying and curing herbs is a bit of an art form. One of the main points, atleast I've always thought, is to allow the chlorophyll to dissipate. I'll skip a lot of details cause I'm sure no one cares, but can anyone speak on this topic? I'm scared live resin might be unhealthy to consume if it's from fresh flowers using rosin or a solvent. Fresh sift I'm sure would be fine.

Permacultuure

Veteran
Wowza! Yet another situation where being a big strong lad comes in handy!!

What'cha recovering into?

Only a 12x12.....it's a dangerous game :) we had these done by Wenzhou for a couple extractors that run subzero units. I grabbed a couple of extras. We were only putting a plant in each spool, approx 1-2 lbs....now they sit for 2 months until next the pull

HG23

GW, does the rupturing of cells under vacuum apply to dried material?

With dried material I usually pack and vacuum the column, then freeze to avoid the moisture pickup from the trapped atmosphere.

snake11

Glacier tanks sells those big sleeved columns now.

I would be extremely scared to vac down fresh buds that weren't frozen, but if it works, that's awesome.

It works great with buds not frozen!! No issues with rupturing cells. In my opinion better results then freezing.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW, does the rupturing of cells under vacuum apply to dried material?

With dried material I usually pack and vacuum the column, then freeze to avoid the moisture pickup from the trapped atmosphere.

With dried material, there is nothing expanding under the reduced pressure and trying to get out of the cells.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It works great with buds not frozen!! No issues with rupturing cells. In my opinion better results then freezing.

Since most cell walls won't withstand 14.7 psi internal expansion pressure, I wonder if the question isn't whether it ruptures cell walls, but whether that in itself is a serious problem??

I've basically done nothing but run my garden as live resin. My experience is centered on it. Cold solvent and a jacketed column are nice but in the beginning I wasn't using the jacket. We were packing the tubes and resting them in a bed of dry ice until completely chilled. Alcohol and dry ice bath for the solvent and long single washes seem to work best for me. I've been using my mk3 for over a year 1/2 as my main extractor but did use a can & small tube for a while before that.

Recovering water into your tank seems to be the main issue I've encountered. Releasing the atmosphere buildup and water content daily is paramount! Packing density is key. Blockages will occur and retention of solvent in the column seems to be a problem too when recovering.

I could see the cough factor being true but really haven't noticed much difference personally. The flavor is intense and almost always preferred by people I partake with. The small yields are due to the volume of water in the fresh material taking up space. I would estimate it's about 25% of what you are used to when it's time to collect. I measure most of my runs by cubic cm now and judge the yield by that.

I fetch a better price for live resin but the reality of work it takes to get the same amount as a cured flower run is far more then double. The fetching price is not double, at least not in my saturated circles.

would a regular freezer and a slat and ice bath for recovery tank work? i wanna try this with my mk3 but am a little nervous about it, is anyone doin it with sugar trim or just nug runs ,all i wanna do is nug runs but my partner wants to run trim its frustrating for me i want the best and to provide the best of my ability trim was once thrown away so some people see dollar signs now adays

Sunfire

Veteran
Super dank trim can be just as good imo but you won't really get to a lot of it fresh as you would be quickly big leafing a whole plant and stuffing it in there.

HG23

It seems the main issue is building up water content in the solvent when doing live resin runs.

If rupturing the cells walls is not dismal to the extract, then I don't see a problem running the wet material the same way I run dried. Pack the tubes, pull a full vac, then freeze and extract. What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Latest posts