What's new

little white bugs

medicalmj

Veteran
Anyone got a decent photo of these pests? I found some small white bugs in a plant I brought in from outdoors to reveg and Id like to figure this out soon! Thanks in advance

As I posted on your thread, you need at least a 30x to check # of legs. 6 and it might be RAs, bad news. 8 legs and its probably:

Astigmatid mites (Histiostomatdae) or an Oribatid mite, both harmless! Good forest soil ca have up to 200 different species of mites per m^3! Thats a lot of mites. There are over 1200 species of soil mites in N America. All but a couple are good for soil and plants.

Look these up on youtube. Since there are so many Oribatid they may not look like yours w just a quick search. And they often will have colors different from yours. I currently have 2 soil mites. They are microscopic and are a translucent whitesh color. Under a quality stereoscope you can see some additional colors however.

medicalmj

Veteran
Thanks for this info GK.
I believe im having an issue with RA's. They are cream/vanilla colored little guys..they seem to have 4-8 leg and they crawl and burrow really quick. I have noticed nothing flying around. Man they fuck with everything i have from cuts to end of flower. My girls are in canna coco. I used Azamax and gnatrol, both on seperate occasions. i also use azamax to pre treat my coco before i transplant and for preventive maint every week. They seemed to have gone down in numbers but as soon as I flip to 12/12 they just explode in numbers.

GK..I went to the link and wanted to ask you what would be the best predatory bug for these guys. I went to the aphid bio page and there are a lot of choices. Would the ladybugs suffice, do they die out once they rid of the ra's? Thanks.

To pretreat you'll need heat. Steam, solarization, microwave, oven, etc...

Are you experiencing issues? The tail tell sign of RAs is:
6 legs and the dual dark tubes coming out the back side.
RAs are easily visible w naked eye while most harmless soil mites are just white dots, visible but unable to see legs etc.

Also, are you adding any organic material at flip? Soil mites eat fungi and bacteria. If you have added bennies and then added "sweeteners" you've created a heaven for harmless soil mites as the fungi and bacteria will increase and provide more food.

the gnome

Veteran

Ar.

its easy to pasturize your soil with an oven.
set it at 160, get one of those digi thermometers and set it at 160 with the probe in the center of your coco, soil etc etc
once its at 160 let it sit for about an 30min-hour and your good to go.
weed seeds and bugs+eggs are gone.
i did this for a while but its labor intensive(with an std. oven) when you get to a certain # of plants.
micro waves are faster but you do smaller amts.
running 5 gallon buckets, and doing an average of 20 plants it took me 2 days in the oven,
7-8 hrs a day

make sure your soil isn't cracker dry. it need some moisture in it.

jumanji2

Are you experiencing issues? The tail tell sign of RAs is:
6 legs and the dual dark tubes coming out the back side.
RAs are easily visible w naked eye while most harmless soil mites are just white dots, visible but unable to see legs etc.

Also, are you adding any organic material at flip? Soil mites eat fungi and bacteria. If you have added bennies and then added "sweeteners" you've created a heaven for harmless soil mites as the fungi and bacteria will increase and provide more food.

Sup MJ.

I have been experiencing nitrogen and cal/mag def ever since I first noticed them. Growth has been like molasses imo. Taking clones about 4 weeks to even begin to show any growth. Its painful to watch man. Ive read that Fungs Gnats and Ra's go hand in hand in some occasions. I managed to get rid of the gnats then these guys showed up. I dont have a microscope though to be 110% sure but I was able to count at least 3 legs on each side with the naked eye. Not sure what you mean by the black tubes on the back side. Might need the scope for that.
I do not add anything at flip. Just straight 6/9 micro/bloom.

medicalmj

Veteran
Sup MJ.

I have been experiencing nitrogen and cal/mag def ever since I first noticed them. Growth has been like molasses imo. Taking clones about 4 weeks to even begin to show any growth. Its painful to watch man. Ive read that Fungs Gnats and Ra's go hand in hand in some occasions. I managed to get rid of the gnats then these guys showed up. I dont have a microscope though to be 110% sure but I was able to count at least 3 legs on each side with the naked eye. Not sure what you mean by the black tubes on the back side. Might need the scope for that.
I do not add anything at flip. Just straight 6/9 micro/bloom.
I know the feeling. The tubes are like dual exhaust pipes coming right out the back side, usually dark in color.

Here's the thing tho. FGs will cause and spread root rot. Root rot has same symptoms as RAs, the slow growth, cal/mag type def etc. You see, since these soil mites thrive on fungus and mold and bacteria, etc, if they are mites they may simple be there because of the fungus, mold..., but it gets more complicated.

Nematodes also cause the exact same problems! You cant see them w/o a good scope. All soil has nematodes. 25% are bad. But the good news is that for $20 you can buy predatory nems that'll wipe em out. I suggest 2 apps min.

Finally, if they have 6 legs and the exhaust pipes, Imid is about the only hope. If 8 legs and no pipes you need to look past those bugs and find out if you have persistent rot or maybe nematodes. If you have persistent rot a good dose of bacillus subtillus, found in many bennies is helpful. But its one of thise things. I think throwin em out works best if you have rot, imo.

Latest posts

Latest posts