What's new

List your favorite brand of Canadian Peat Moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrappy4

Veteran
anybody else had experience of lambert?

Lambert makes a lot of peat products at different prices and qualities. I have used the low end stuff from a garden store ($11-3.8 cf) and it worked just fine. About the same as premier at a simular price range I'd say....scrappy

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
figured might as well ask this here instead of starting a new thread.
Cc and Mm if you had to choose between Premier® Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix, Premier® Pro-Mix® BX with Mycorise Pro Professional General Purpose Growing Medium, Premier® Pro-Mix® HP with Mycorise Pro Professional High Porosity Growing Medium, or Premier® Pro-Mix® BX with BioFungicide Professional General Purpose Growing Medium which would you get? I can't get regular peat moss from the site I'm trying to order from. I may just get some pro moss off amazon for a few extra bucks tho. what do you think?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
soursmoker

I would buy based on price. The only real differences (generally) is the amount or type of aeration amendment - Perlite, Pumice and/or Vermiculite.

Pick-up a bag of whatever you use for aeration and 'fix it' to your satisfaction. All of the base, i.e. Sphagnum peat moss, is harvested from the same bogs and where you live will determine which production district it's sourced from.

These products from Premier Horticulture Labs (Montreal) are some of the best and are an industry standard with commercial nurseries.

HTH

CC

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
thanks for the quick response CC. you are by far some of the biggest help on this site! I realized I actually can get the pro moss( which I believe was the recommended earlier in the thread) from the site I want to and it's significantly cheaper than all the other options I listed. thank you again and I'm on easy coast. how much quality will I lose do to that?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
how much quality will I lose do to that?

None - if any.

But try this - head over to a Home Depot or Lowe's and ask them about straight peat moss. Premier Horticulture packs straight Sphagnum but you wouldn't know it from the label. It doesn't look anything like the Pro-Mix products (white with black and orange graphics).

On the West Coast, this pack is in a very plain brown plastic bag with the word "Premier" displayed prominently across the front. If you turn the bag (3.8 c.f. bale) and look for the mandatory producer you'll see that it's Premier Horticulture.

The product in the western states is harvested out of Northern Alberta but in your area it would be sourced and packed in Quebec so the package could well be another color with different graphics.

Reading the label is the best way to go. If you start with straight Sphagnum peat moss and build the soil yourself you'll save money, have a better potting soil to work with meaning your garden will have a better chance at success.

HTH

Do you have a retail operation called Fedco Seeds in your area?

CC

Talonted

PROMIX-XP

perlite and mycorrhizae added with PH balancing properties AAA+

34.95 per 3.8cu compressed

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
how much quality will I lose do to that?

None - if any.

But try this - head over to a Home Depot or Lowe's and ask them about straight peat moss. Premier Horticulture packs straight Sphagnum but you wouldn't know it from the label. It doesn't look anything like the Pro-Mix products (white with black and orange graphics).

On the West Coast, this pack is in a very plain brown plastic bag with the word "Premier" displayed prominently across the front. If you turn the bag (3.8 c.f. bale) and look for the mandatory producer you'll see that it's Premier Horticulture.

The product in the western states is harvested out of Northern Alberta but in your area it would be sourced and packed in Quebec so the package could well be another color with different graphics.

Reading the label is the best way to go. If you start with straight Sphagnum peat moss and build the soil yourself you'll save money, have a better potting soil to work with meaning your garden will have a better chance at success.

HTH

Do you have a retail operation called Fedco Seeds in your area?

CC

I'd rather not go to Home Depot/lowes just given the time of the year I don't think they would have a good selection and the past two days have been straight rain. my hope is the site I'm ordering from is storing everything inside. I'm pretty satisfied with the ideal I'm getting though, 2.2 cf for 14.99$ I only need 2 for my mix.
I found fedco seeds website but I'm not sure they have a retail operation around me. I might be PMing you about my soil mix

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Premier Sphagnum Peat Moss - 3.8 c.f. for < $14.00

Perlite - 4 c.f. < $20.00

Oyster shell powder - 50 lbs. < $12.00

where can I get these prices?
I'm looking at 2.2cf for $15
4cf for 40
and I haven't even looked at oyster shell powder because I planned on getting the nutrient pack from KIS and I believe that includes all the powders I would need. correct?

Scrappy4

Veteran
Promix is for people who like wasting their money.

Why are you talking about my wife?

It is also for those frightened by the whole lime thingy because it's pre limed. And compared with other grow store mediums, it just might be a bargain.....scrappy

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
where can I get these prices?

I'm looking at 2.2cf for $15

4cf for 40

and I haven't even looked at oyster shell powder because I planned on getting the nutrient pack from KIS and I believe that includes all the powders I would need. correct?
The price on the Sphagnum is the price charged at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Perlite is sold at both of these stores as well - 4 c.f. master pack for around $18.00

Oyster shell powder (not crushed oyster shells) is available at feed stores. It's used for feeding chickens (Calcium Carbonate), livestock for the same reasons. Comes out of San Francisco Bay and has been mined for over 110 years by Pacific Pearl.

If you're using the mix from KIS then you're pretty much done. That product you're considering is top notch and especially for someone in your situation having limited resources to get this and that and they've spent the time and research to help you avoid pitfalls.

I'd say that you're in very good shape. Get the humus component dialed-in and some rock dust (like Azomite which is available everywhere) and find a new hobby.

CC

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Do you think it would be safe to go to a local homedepot or lowes this time of the year, right after a hurricane came through? I feel like there would not be a good selection since it is fall almost winter and it would be water logged with gnat. but what do I know? it's worth checking out. I was going to go with KiS's fungal compost because I'm not too sure where to source high quality ewc around me so I'm goin to have to wait til I start my worm bin and the first batch is done.

edit: I already have azomite so I'm good on that

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
With the KIS compost and their nutrient pack you'll have a solid program. I can't really answer your concerns about security and safety. Oregon is different - people buy garden products year round but you ain't in Orygun.

Hope you and your family are safe after the storms. The images being shown are sad indeed.

Best wishes!

CC

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Anyone on east coast know where to find some premier peat, other than homedepot/lowes? All local stores are sold out, i've been checking all the online hydro stores on the east coast but none of them carry premier only sunshine...ughhh. My only option right now is amazon but its gonna cost me $40 for a 3.8 c.f bale shipped. I know thats not that bad but when i know i could get it for less than $15 its kind of aggravating.

I'm out on the East coast, but not at your latitude. Around here the big hardware chains have the best prices and are the most likely to have bails on hand, although I'm sure a couple of the nurseries and garden centers would get it for me if I asked. You could order it off the Lowes or Home Depot website and choose to have it delivered to the store to save on shipping.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
on the Home Depot / lowes sites it said it was a store exclusive so if your store didn't have it in stock your out of luck. let me double check that just to be sure though

Edit: I was right for some reason you can't have it shipped to your store you must pick it up from a store that has it in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts