What's new

list of organic ingrediants...help me make a soil mix please..

fatburt

i have promix,chicken manure,worm castings,lime,blood meal,bone meal,kelp meal,cottonseed meal,epsom salts and trace elements...i have lots!

i plan on making 50-70 gallon smart pots filled with organic soilmix,id prefer it if i didnt have to feed til flowering begins and that they have enough organic food in the mix to last 2 months
once flowering commences ill feed with earth juice organic nutrients..

do you think you guys could help build me a good soil mix with the ingredients i have listed?maybe in proper ratios?i could really use the help...im legal for 10 outdoor plants this year and want to do it right....

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Can't really comment on ratios, but I would add a calcium source. Some of the manures you listed have calcium, and your bone meal but not near enough. Get some crushed and/or ground oyster shells. You can find 50lb bags of this at feed stores or garden supply houses. Chickens use them alot I guess. This will help out big time.

Last edited:

fatburt

would this mix work?

1 Bale sunshine mix #2 or promix (3.8 cu ft)
8 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
4 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source
1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source
3-4 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
1 tsp fritted trace elements
4 cups kelp meal.
9kg (25 lbs) bag pure worm castings

OrganicBuds

Veteran
ok, ignore my advice. I will post up my soil mix just so you start to understand what all goes in a quality outdoor mix. You can make a mix with less amendments, but this is how I get down.

At the bottom of all my holes I add about 20% of the entire volume with steer compost with a handful of worms from my bin. Then I add my soil mix. To the very top layer I add another layer of EWC, then about 2-4 inches of fine redwood mulch.

Soil Mix (total mix makes 1.1 yards of soil)
50 gallons Roots Organics or Fox Farm Ocean Forrest
50 gallons of small size perlite
50 gallons EWC
50 gallons Coco
6.5 gallons of steer compost (Bu’s bio-dynamic thermal compost)
38 cups of Organicare “pure” grow
1.5 gallons of Organic rice
12 cups greensand
13 cups Rock phosphate granular
19 cups ground oyster shells
25 cups crushed oyster shells
25 cups alfalfa meal
12.5 cups of powdered dolomite lime
44 cups of prilled dolomite lime
25 cups of Dr Earth Humic Acid ore
6 cups of blood meal
13 cups of granular Azomite
6.5 cups high N bat guano
12.5 cups of Kelp meal
12.5 cups Feather Meal
13 cups of powdered gypsum
25 cups un-steamed granular bone meal
6.25 cups of soft rock phosphate
13 cups of Fox Farm piece of mind bulb food

Just water and give ACT's once a month, your welcome.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
BTW - it isn't easy to yield 2 lbs off an outdoor plant without exprience. You can do it in a 60 gal, but much easier to do in a larger pot. Plus, you said your in Canada, it will be really hard to hit 2lbs in Canada compared to the large plant growers in Nor Cal. Also, why would you use Earth Juice? They use organic cleeting agents that will effect your microlife, IMHO. I would use Fox Farm big bloom, or Roots organics Seranade WAY before anything from Earth Juice.

fatburt

ypou put that big huge soil mix up and it just makes me nervous now...i said the ingrediants i hadd was what i listed so why put ingrediants i dont have?i politely asked for a soil recipe using what ingrediants i have on hand...then you throw up that huge recipe,,,its frustrating...i CANNOT SOURCE ALL THE INGREDIANTS ON YOUR LIST...NOT EVEN CLOSE!
i have hit a pound in a 25 gallon tote,i have grown lots,just not organic,but organic is cheaper...unless i just go with a time release 17-17-17...i cant get organic soils,they are way too expensive and i cant even get ocean forest soil near me anyways,no roots organic soil,,,just promix....so once again,would the soilmix i listed work?if not what is a recipe using the ingrediants i listed to grow in?

Sinkyone

OB's mix is a good one but you could pair it down and still get good results if you can't find some of the things on the list. Just remember you want slow and fast release forms of your major nutrients like Nitrogen. The list you had in your first post should work pretty well once you get the ratios right IMO. My only concern would be that you can burn plants with the fast release N sources like chicken manure and blood meal so don't over-do those. A slower release form of N, like feather meal would be recommended, and I also agree with OB you probably need more Ca.

Tiami

you'll be fine burt.

I'd also use that chicken manure, plenty of it. (you're not having any K, there might be problems with Ca/K/Mg ratios)
TH uses 2x more manure than bone meal.
cut down the blood meal by half and more Ca. something like limestone or oyster shells.
no perlite?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Not trying to make you nervous man, sorry if I did. I was just trying to show you what some outdoor growers put in the soil, to achieve prime yields.

To answer your questions better.......I think your soil mix looks ok, but the one thing I would try to source would be oyster shells. Your mix needs a slow release of Ca, something that can last all season. If you have ever grown tomatoes, you know that lack of Ca causes blossom end rot. (your tomatoes rot from the inside out) Similar to cannabis, lack of Ca at the end of flower will lead to bud rot. You can add this via liquid nutes, but that wasn't your question.

I wish you luck this season, kick some ass.:tiphat:

Another organic product that I like to add to my soil, teas, and top dress is: Organicare Pure™ 6-6-5+8% Ca. It also has added Ca. Maybe you can find this product?

ypou put that big huge soil mix up and it just makes me nervous now...i said the ingrediants i hadd was what i listed so why put ingrediants i dont have?i politely asked for a soil recipe using what ingrediants i have on hand...then you throw up that huge recipe,,,its frustrating...i CANNOT SOURCE ALL THE INGREDIANTS ON YOUR LIST...NOT EVEN CLOSE!
i have hit a pound in a 25 gallon tote,i have grown lots,just not organic,but organic is cheaper...unless i just go with a time release 17-17-17...i cant get organic soils,they are way too expensive and i cant even get ocean forest soil near me anyways,no roots organic soil,,,just promix....so once again,would the soilmix i listed work?if not what is a recipe using the ingrediants i listed to grow in?

V

Veg N Out

He is putting bone meal in his soil, how much slower calcium do you want than bone meal which is essentially calcium phosphate...just use chicken manure, bone meal, kelp meal and get some gypsum...youll be killing it

S

SeaMaiden

BTW - it isn't easy to yield 2 lbs off an outdoor plant without exprience. You can do it in a 60 gal, but much easier to do in a larger pot. Plus, you said your in Canada, it will be really hard to hit 2lbs in Canada compared to the large plant growers in Nor Cal. Also, why would you use Earth Juice? They use organic cleeting agents that will effect your microlife, IMHO. I would use Fox Farm big bloom, or Roots organics Seranade WAY before anything from Earth Juice.

Q: What's a cleeting agent? Does he work in football?

I learned my second year of growing that if you use a large enough container and are able to keep the roots warm, getting 4lbs from an OD plant the first time around was pretty easy for me. Raised bed, 3'x16'x2'deep, filled with bulk topsoil and amended. Of course, I am indeed in NorCal (34*N..? gotta double check, could be 36* or 37*N), though I am in the mountains and our first and last frost dates are similar to latitudes much further north than us.

Second Q: Who sells granular Azomite? Why both prilled and powdered DL? In fact, looking at it, you have LOTS of different Ca sources. I'm curious, like a cat.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Little pissed off, yesterday I wrote a long response to your question SeaMaiden. So long, I had logged out because I hadn't refreshed in a while. So, here it goes again. Doubt it will have the same level of enthusiasm.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
What is a cleeting agent?

A - Well, I must be way off in spelling this because google doesn't even know what I am talking about. Maybe we should play Jeopardy.....

A catalyst that aids in the absorption of micronutrients, phosphorus and potassium?
What is a cleeting agent.

lol, Humic acids are organic cleeting agents. In small amounts no problem, but Earth Juice uses a lot.

Great job on getting those yields right off the bat. The only reason I say somebody in Canada might have a harder time achieving those yeilds is due to the UV index.

Granular Azomite is sold by Down to Earth in 50lb bags for cheap. I got nothing but 50lb bags for all my amendments, cheap as dirt baby. As for the different calcium sorces.......Bone meal is dangerous in large amounts, IMO. It puts a hurting on the fungal life in your soil mix. To combat this I put the oyster shells in. The oyster shells also do a great job buffering the PH of your soil mix.

I have to head back to work now, but I tried. If you have any more questions, I will try to answer them better in my next post.

Have a good weekend everybody

S

SeaMaiden

Damn, here I Googled and Googled, couldn't find "cleeting agent" and so I thought perhaps it was a misspell of cleaning agent. Then, I couldn't figure out, why would you want a cleaning agent in there?

I do the 50lb+ when/wherever I can, but sometimes when you've gotta pay to have it shipped, it's just ridiculous.

I hadn't considered UV index with regard to cultivation, only first/last frosts, and daylight period.

You pretty much answered all, except why the multiple sources of Ca. Hope you had a good day at work. Thanks! :)

V

Veg N Out

How come bone meal hurts fungi? Bone meal is a protein nutrient, fungi thrive off it. Organicbuds you say a lot of things as if theyre gospel, but youre often misinformed.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Thanks veg, your a great guy. I did say in too large amounts, such as Tom Hills recipe looks to me. (he has tested it and it works, just my preference) BTW, it's you're not youre. We could sit here and point out each others mistakes, but really the plants are the proof in the pudding. I seem to do ok.

picture.php

Last edited: