What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Liquid Co2 extractions

whereisbrianV.

The shortcomings of Co2 are more modus operandi than the hydrocarbons making better extractions. Look how much solvent a closed loop hydrocarbon system uses compared to a Co2 system of the same size. That combined with the hydrocarbons structure allows it to create better extractions today but as soon as technology catches up you will see this advantage dissipate.

Why target terpenes?

Because pure cannabinoids are flat and lifeless. Terpenes bring a rainbow of experiences with their interaction with the cannabinoids, a experience that would be grey without them.

I want to be able to extract all the hard work of the breeder and the grower. Giving them a extraction that exemplifies their beautiful creation is my goal. My extraction of their cannabis should smell, smoke, and feel the same as the flowers just amplified.

The only way I have found to do this with Co2 is with Liquid Co2 extractions.

whereisbrianV.

"BHO has set the standard and these sappy CO2 oils drenched in ethanol and PG aren't up to par."

Says the guy making a Co2 machine......

I dare you..........

I have never cut any of my oils with PG or alcohol. No need to with all those cannabis terpenes!

I for one LOVE the clarity and pure flavor of Liquid Co2 oil!

picture.php

Strawberry Cough (with all those worthless terpenes:laughing:)

happyman420

i use the 20x20l 2000psi, and have run between 1400 and 1500psi with great results using trim, depending on the quality of trim. Do you think with lower temps and pressure for the first run would provide a better initial product, then on the second run a less pure product.

whereisbrianV.

What wax, only winterized here bro! That is 7% terpenes from winterized oil that is pictured above in front of the vacuum oven. If you think that has wax in it you need your eyes checked.

All my runs are from popcorn and sugar leafs.

A quick low pressure rinse will help remove free water and terpenes. If you are looking for a crumble or a shatter then fractioning off the water and terpenes is a must.

Old Gold

What wax, only winterized here bro! That is 7% terpenes from winterized oil that is pictured above in front of the vacuum oven. If you think that has wax in it you need your eyes checked.

All my runs are from popcorn and sugar leafs.

A quick low pressure rinse will help remove free water and terpenes. If you are looking for a crumble or a shatter then fractioning off the water and terpenes is a must.

What accounts for the other 36% of the material?
If ya think nugs and sugar leaf don't carry waxes, oooh boy.. Nor can waxes be seen in solution, in a cute picture like you provided.

Please excuse my mood :peacock:

whereisbrianV.

If I thought nugs didn't have waxes why would I winterize?:moon:

The picture and the lab test is from fully winterized oil, this oil is a full spectrum extract with all of the natural terpenes, flavonoids, sterols, phenolic amides, I could go on but you get the point. So that 30% non cannabiniod content is the unique properties of that strain.

Show me a fully purged oil with waxes that have clarity of a distilled oil. Even a small amount of waxes cloud up the extract, so that cute little pitures would have been more than enough proof to someone who understood what they were looking at.:tiphat:

The picture and the lab test is from fully winterized oil, this oil is a full spectrum extract with all of the natural terpenes, flavonoids, sterols, phenolic amides, I could go on but you get the point. So that 30% non cannabiniod content is the unique properties of that strain.

Show me a fully purged oil with waxes that have clarity of a distilled oil. Even a small amount of waxes cloud up the extract, so that cute little pitures would have been more than enough proof to someone who understood what they were looking at.:tiphat:

When your target market only comprehends clarity .........it's easy to get big headed over your product. Enjoy that while it lasts.

Old Gold

I know someone who would stir the fats/lipids back into oil to give stability to nice clear, shatter.

whereisbrianV.

Your right old gold, any day now the masses of consumers are going to stop caring about the aesthetics of the products they purchase.:laughing:

I have heard a lot crazy things that "extraction artist" do to make their products.

The difference is, I don't post about what other people do, I post about what I know and do myself everyday. If you think I have a big head for sharing my first hand information then that is on you and your mood.:peacock::thank you:

Old Gold

Your right old gold, any day now the masses of consumers are going to stop caring about the aesthetics of the products they purchase.:laughing:

I have heard a lot crazy things that "extraction artist" do to make their products.

The difference is, I don't post about what other people do, I post about what I know and do myself everyday. If you think I have a big head for sharing my first hand information then that is on you and your mood.:peacock::thank you:

I never claimed consumers don't care about appearance. But now that you bring it up, I think what Digital Man was referring to is that a legitimately educated, experienced individual knows that appearance can be deceiving or not a tell-all of quality.

I never said you have a big head either. I post about what I have studied, experienced hands-on, and infer about the future. Ain't shit was wrong with that .

Last edited:

raven44

I'm quite interested in sub critical co2 extracts

Can clarity depend on strain? I noticed the black haze was rather clear compared to some of the other strains.

Could u personally note anything about a Dutch treat liquid co2 xtract where is brainV.???

Like whereisBrianV. my experience with CO2 has been that most other operators don't have a firm grasp of chemistry and thus cannot adequately explain what is happening inside of their equipment. If you don't know how Liquid/SC carbon dioxide work as a solvent and what factors impact the solubility of the compounds you're trying to extract it doesn't matter what machine you purchased from what company. They don't care that you're ignorant or that you're going to waste tens of thousands of dollars on R&D. They just want the check.

If you think that Cannabinoids are the only compounds impacted by the stresses extraction subjects them to and aren't aware of the other constituent components of the biomass you're working with and how their solubility relates to the solvent you're utilizing then you're going to have a bad time.

That being said though, you elitist jerks need to calm the fuck down. They're all tools. Every tool has a job and every tool does some things more efficiently than others. I use CO2 because of a brand I represent, I also intend to use LHC for other product lines/brands, I'll use any tool that I can be taught to safely and effectively use. I don't consider either rough extraction to be a final product and I for one can't wait for the market to mature and move away from rough extractions peddled by people who haven't got a clue what they're serving up to the consumer.

Latest posts

Latest posts