What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lion Air Plane Crash

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Folks

I don`t think that vid or the still pictures at live leak are legit .
Probably from a previous incident .

Pays to read the comments section . Often more insights to be gleaned there .

The first 10 -15 minutes as the plane takes off and banks then climbs are the most nerve wracking for me .

I know most crashes happen on take off and landing .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Should't the auto pilot, flight assistant computer thing or whatever it's called make it impossible for the pilots to bank too hard and prevent the plane from stalling? I'm not a pilot or a flight engineer, but I've tried a simulator which had a thing like that.. Unless it's turned off or malfunctioning.

What a sad thing, rest in peace..

news this morning says the plane HAD NOT turned back when it disappeared from radar. does not mean they didn't try after dropping below radars capabilities though. from what i read this morning, their maintenance/safety etc have been shaky for years. new jet, documented problem, engineers "fixed" problem, jet goes down almost immediately after take-off on next flight. maybe send maintenance folks/engineers on all flights AFTER "repairs" are done? "show us how confident you are in your work. take your family on vacation." - :biggrin:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
news this morning says the plane HAD NOT turned back when it disappeared from radar. does not mean they didn't try after dropping below radars capabilities though. from what i read this morning, their maintenance/safety etc have been shaky for years. new jet, documented problem, engineers "fixed" problem, jet goes down almost immediately after take-off on next flight. maybe send maintenance folks/engineers on all flights AFTER "repairs" are done? "show us how confident you are in your work. take your family on vacation." - :biggrin:

Pretty sure accountability would increase significantly.

RIP passengers & crew.

Indonesian airlines were banned from several countries for several years due to their poor safety record and noncompliance. Do not fly on third world airlines.
asian airlines were banned for being asian, i think indonesia had a 10+ year ban, thats just bullshit protectionism

Pretty sure accountability would increase significantly.

RIP passengers & crew.
just replace all stewards by engineers, half the costs!
woohoo.gif

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
asian airlines were banned for being asian, i think indonesia had a 10+ year ban, thats just bullshit protectionism

Do some homework.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/indone...west-in-world-for-safety-20160106-gm0hx4.html

Interesting detail in the article.
"And in November a Lion Air pilot was reportedly grounded for allegedly offering a female, divorced flight attendant to passengers to make up for the delay."

Like I said, Do not fly on third world airlines.

Elmer Bud

Veteran

G `day HFNPK

LOL .
Go to Asia and see the standards of work . Then reconsider your statement .

Nepotism , bribery and ineptitude are standard in SE Asia .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

T

Teddybrae

It was speculated on Australian Broadcasting Commission "News Breakfast" that the sticky tape protecting the pitot tubes and other sensors outside the aircraft ... which is normally removed in the pre-flight check ... was not removed. so the plane had insufficient information to its computers.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It was speculated on Australian Broadcasting Commission "News Breakfast" that the sticky tape protecting the pitot tubes and other sensors outside the aircraft ... which is normally removed in the pre-flight check ... was not removed. so the plane had insufficient information to its computers.

They don't put pitot covers on airliners, only on small planes. The only exception would be if there was painting done.

insomniac_AU

Lion Air's safety record isn't great. I'm not saying this is their fault as the aircraft was so new but the possibility must be looked at considering their history.

2004: Just four years after it started operating, Lion Air suffered its first deadly crash. Twenty-five people were killed when flight 538 crashed into a cemetery in Surakarta, Java.
2006: A McDonnell Douglas aircraft was written off when it crashed after touching down at Juanda International Airport and skidding off the runway. It was found the left thrust reverser, which was needed for the landing, was out of service. There were no fatalities.
2007: All Indonesian airlines, including Lion Air, were banned from flying to Europe due to safety concerns. The European Union’s ban relaxed over the next decade, and was completely lifted in June. The US also lifted a 10-year ban on Indonesian airlines in 2016.
2010: Some passengers were injured when flight 712 landed on its belly at Supadio Airport. All 174 passengers and crew were evacuated by the emergency slides.
2011 and 2012: Lion Air pilots were arrested for drug possession.
2013: On April 13, flight 904 from Bangdung to Denpasar with 108 people on board crashed into waters near Bali after overshooting the runway. The fuselage of the Boeing 737-800 split into two parts and passengers had to swim for their lives. Miraculously, all survived.
2014: Two passengers were seriously injured and three suffered minor injuries when a Boeing 737-900 landed hard on the runway at Surabaya’s Juanda airport and bounced five times on the runway.
2017: About 300 litres of fuel spilt on the tarmac at Surabaya’s Juanda International Airport from a Lion Air aircraft’s wings. All passengers were evacuated and the plane was grounded for further investigation.
2018: On April 28, flight 892 ran off the runway at Jalaluddin Airport after landing in heavy rain and darkness. The main nose gear collapsed but there were no fatalities.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
you can change the direction. if they work there probably not a good idea to ever do that once to them. you want the work maintained to be the person you love thats an option with only "Lion".

G `day Slush

Thanks for sharin

EB .

T

Teddybrae

They don't put pitot covers on airliners, only on small planes. The only exception would be if there was painting done.

Really? Small planes only get covered. Hmmm. Then the issue needs to be taken up with ABC. False news.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Really? Small planes only get covered. Hmmm. Then the issue needs to be taken up with ABC. False news.

I guess so. Take a look next time you're at the airport. On most planes they are inaccessible without a ladder and the heavy, they don't make ladders that big except on fire trucks.