What's new

Limited Supplies:( Help!

Don't use the cow manure straight. Alfalfa and horse shit. I've yet to try the floor dry...Jay is right about the perlite for weight though. Saves some effort in moving. MG perlite to my knowledge is their 1 product with out nutes other than their organic line. Both are so-so. A lot of powder in the perlite. Espenoza, available at HD or Lowes is not a bad product. EWC can often be found on Craigslist. The Farm& Garden link, at least in my area. turns up all sorts of grow equipment, nutes, ewc, even clones and medical.
If you are growing outside in soil you won't need perlite, guanos or anything fancy. You're not dealing with the limited capacity of a pot.

im goin straight in the ground:) checked craigslist and found a few things lol

since you guys have given me all the info i think ive just been thinkin about it to hard lol im guna use the soil that is already there and mix in some peat the ground has a little clay not much though a small amount of compost to give the soil a little boost of energy since it once was used to grow pumpkins but now it is all grown up giving it a great spot to grow.. Thanks guys for all the help!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
skip the peat, add more compost to the soil. and if you can get it for free try some coarse sand or crushed lavarock for aeration.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
only if the compost has the possibility of being compacted. some companies sift there compost big time and you end up with fines and eventually a hard mud when wet and dried out. if the compost is of good quality and is light and fluffy then no, ive grown great plants in nothing but my homemade compost.

only if the compost has the possibility of being compacted. some companies sift there compost big time and you end up with fines and eventually a hard mud when wet and dried out. if the compost is of good quality and is light and fluffy then no, ive grown great plants in nothing but my homemade compost.

i will have to tear a bag open a check it out mushroom compost or humus and manure?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well if the bag is light you have no worries, if it weighs like a brick then think differently.

try searching landscaping supply places or nursuries. they usually carry bulk compost. around here you can get a truckload, or you can just come fill whatever bucket you bring and take how much you want. cheaper and better this way.

TACOE

in the northeast - coast of maine products - expensive but good. lobster compost is very fluffy.

I would recommend quoddy blend (lobster) or the Penobscot blend (salmon mussel and blueberry peat compost). Also very fluffy just add perlite to that and ur good to go. Picked up a bunch of their composted cow shit - no experience there. Their ewcs are crazy pricey but high quality and no fillers from what I can tell I love em.
Fwiw.. The dude isn't even from Maine tho. Fuck with the kinneys if u get the opportunity. Better and cheaper and local-er. But i like com's selection

Another note on bagged compost in regards to jay's comment above. The reason I said stay away from earthgro (other than the fact that it's by scotts and seems loaded with fillers and is rly stickey). It's heavier than a mother. I could barely carry 2 bags. It's not worth the 2$ I spent. I dumped it in the blackberry bushes (rental bushes lol). The ingredient list is sketchy too. If they can't say what's in it for sure and it's different in different states, I wouldn't use it

As the kinneys guy said: most of the bagged compost you by, shouldn't even be called compost

Latest posts

Latest posts