What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lightweight Peat's Mucky Muck soil testing

biggreg

But biggreg,

What the hell do you know about this? You've only been growing for 6 years and only trying to interpret soil tests since march?

I don't know shit about it, I am just pointing at the gross mis-measurement of sample mass and the correct relevant units for lightweight density soils. These 2'items are verifiable facts, not my creations . I'm here because i have the time ( recovering) and want to help you.

But biggreg,

I'm resistant to what you are saying because it would mean I have to change my methods and i don't like that.

Biggreg: you go girl. Do as you wish.

biggreg

*We correlate and then calibrate soil tests results to real world results. Yoda just says it backwards.

Last edited:

acespicoli

We need a different way to test maybe?

I had a problem testing my mix, come to find out its seriously low in (K)
Thinking I will try this in future mixes
Langbeinite is a potassium magnesium sulfate mineral with the chemical formula K2Mg2(SO4)3.
Anyone else using this ?

biggreg

Dr. Mehlich developed the Mehlich 3 as an universal extractant for the soils in his home state of North Carolina. North Carolina has significant fibric peat black lands in agricutural production. The NCDA has been testing those black lands with the Mehlich 3 since '81. and reporting results in the relevant volumetric units of mg/L and meq/100cm3.

Do we need other tests? Yes, if they tell us something useful.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I had a problem testing my mix, come to find out its seriously low in (K)
Thinking I will try this in future mixes
Langbeinite is a potassium magnesium sulfate mineral with the chemical formula K2Mg2(SO4)3.
Anyone else using this ?

Use Langbeinite if your are short on Mg. It is the only Mg source that one should use on the soil. MgSO4 is fine foliarly. But do not apply to soil unless you are in pure sand....

What was the problem with testing your mix?

One should always ask for Melich 3 and AA@8.2 on annual crops, as carbonates, bone meal, etc. under neutral and alkaline soil pH will not supply enough Ca as needed. Water is the other issue, if you have alkaline water or bicarbonates in your water, the issues get more complicated.

Post your analysis.

biggreg

Soil tests out there designed for "potting soil" usually have the disposable, throw out at the end of the season, pro-mix inert media-sponge/ bottle feed-hydro nutes growing style in mind because that's the most popular way of growing.

If you recycle the soil and add all the things we all add, it becomes more like your own little portable muck farm than a disposable root media and the fertility has to be managed more in a sorta "real soil" mindset.

Wouldn't you agree, SlowN?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soil tests out there designed for "potting soil" usually have the disposable, throw out at the end of the season, pro-mix inert media-sponge/ bottle feed-hydro nutes growing style in mind because that's the most popular way of growing.

If you recycle the soil and add all the things we all add, it becomes more like your own little portable muck farm than a disposable root media and the fertility has to be managed more in a sorta "real soil" mindset.

Wouldn't you agree, SlowN?

Not sure about how inert all that stuff really is. Seen some analysis of stuff right out of the bag that was salty as sin.

What is popular is due to marketing, not efficacy.

So much depends on water and what extras were added.

Went to the Emerald Cup and

biggreg

under neutral and alkaline soil pH
On previously acidic soils built up to Tiedjens ratios, since it has no exchangeable acidity, are you right at ph7.0?

Do you see the same ph at those same ratios in high organic matter based container mixes?

Thanks

acespicoli

This was the original recipe I followed most of you may recognize it?

This mix was heavy and did not drain well in my opinion
I added perlite vermiculite sand and peat

Then I tested it with this

I had large amounts of peat chunks of nutes
I ground up the mix as good as possible
did multiple tests most of them showed low (K)
so when I went back and examined the nutrient deficiencies
in the leaf and the recipe this is what I found in the red zone

I am reluctant to order a lab test and have not because of the large grain sizes in the mix and organic matter,
as biggreg has mentioned a scoop is not sufficient.
Imagine a cm3 size soil sample with large chunks of vermiculite perlite and peat moss? :)

biggreg

Not sure about how inert all that stuff really is. Seen some analysis of stuff right out of the bag that was salty as sin.

I've heard of vermiculite that was a salt killer as well.

I ran the Mehlich 3 on my composts, 2 bagged peats, I bagged "water only" soil, bagged vermiculite and some local composts, worm castings and a peat.

biggreg

I am reluctant to order a lab test and have not because of the large grain sizes in the mix and organic matter,
Imagine a cm3 size soil sample with large chunks of vermiculite perlite and peat moss? :)

The lab dries it bone dry and grinds the hell out of it. It's almost powder when they scoop it.

the issue with the scoop is it is designed to measure the mass of some standard mineral soil. It will under measure your mass

A mis weighed test will be 10,000x better than that field test you have.

I listed quite a few labs willing to weigh your sample earlier in the thread.

15-20$ go for it!

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This was the original recipe I followed most of you may recognize it?
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70564&pictureid=1690789&]View Image[/url]

This mix was heavy and did not drain well in my opinion
I added perlite vermiculite sand and peat

Then I tested it with this
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70564&pictureid=1690790&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I had large amounts of peat chunks of nutes
I ground up the mix as good as possible
did multiple tests most of them showed low (K)
so when I went back and examined the nutrient deficiencies
in the leaf and the recipe this is what I found in the red zone

First off, I would say screen it lightly to separate out all the stuff that would otherwise be ground. Regardless of what lab you send it to.

Latest posts

Latest posts