What's new

Light proof door

Miijade

Vinyl sliding glass door all day long. Two coats of black spray paint on the glass and you have a light proof door that slides open and closed. Much better than a conventional door. Saves space and are relatively cheap used.

poo-hand

So maybe you guys can help me out a bit. I built this same door. Mine is not working all that great. First the reflectix is not totally light proof. I can still see the glow of the HPS through the reflectix. Where I really run into a problem is the edges of the door. I cut the reflectix to fit. the light penetrates the first layer, then shines right through the cut edge.
Other than the light leak, which obviously is a problem this door works great for me. Are there different thicknesses of the reflectix? I just grabbed the stuff they had at home depot.
To temporarily fix my problem I attached 6 mil black poly plastic to the reflectix. This works, but its a little janky. Any advice?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Stand in the room with the light off and the door down. Look at the door for the spots that have light spots. Use some foil tape and cover those area with the foil tape. You can find the foil tape in the duct supply area at the lumber yard.

You could also wrap the tape around the cut edge if you need to.

Latest posts

Latest posts