What's new

Let's talk organic cloning

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ever hear of air layering?

Air layering is very effective when done right. Works well for my situation as i dont need alot of plants. Definitely my favorite cloning method right now. Actually the only one that has worked for me lately is air layering.

:tiphat:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perlite trays, some satanic worshipping IBA and two sprays of weak kelp solution (liquid murder). Powder is redundant but what can you do, creature of habit and all for now. Set it and forget it. Which is what I inadvertently do anyway, so bonus.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i used to do pretty good with perlite.

right now my cloning set up is a little shelf unit with a zippered vinyl cloche, two t5 shop lights (2 x 14w bulbs in each lamp), two double tray heating mats, and four trays with plug tables.

i've been doing the aloe, silica, fulvic soak for my plugs and having great success! i use the same solution to fill the trays just to the bottom of the plugs.

i also shoot for at least two nodes in the rooting zone, and try to strip a bit of cambium layer.

i regret to say i am observing better rooting from the rockwool plugs than the rapid rooters.

12132914_1517852435191503_1945088492_n.jpg

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Plain water, a Thunk in a salt shaker:

picture.php

I grow micro and need only a few cuttings, so I may take 3 or 4 and
plant the best for harvest.

Good thread!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
oh man if i don't have a cut backed up and i'm nearing harvest i'll try to root some buds on sticks and do my whole reveg routine with the stump.

definitely got some practice in at the end of the summer... :shucks:

12224485_428098130724107_929685975_n.jpg

11917760_432116506994024_1041841632_n.jpg

Grab a bucket, add distilled water, fill with napa 8822 drysweep (100% chunky DE).

Let soak overnight, then drain excess water.

Add cuts into cups with DE, once rooted dip cup in bucket of water to gently remove DE.

Then dip exposed rootmass into cup of water + powered myco product so the bare roots get fully covered, then plant into grow medium.

I like using the napa 8822 since its sterile, holds the right amount of water, plus it gives the clones a nice boost of silica making solid stems.

* another thing I like about this method is that the clones only spend a very short time living in the small restrictive cups.

Using roots organics oregonism xl for the inoculation of bare roots.
Its has myco, bacteria, kelp, yucca, humic all in one powder.

Last edited:
You guys know my love affair with Aero Cloners. Nothing but water. Recently Inoculated (of course) with that stuff with the toothy shark

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

dcd

Haha to go back to my last post what my buddy was doin with the tinfoil n soil was air layering! I just didn't know what it was called to find info on it.... Now I feel like a dink.... Or really smart cause I knew stuff I didn't know I knew... Gotta be smart to have that happen.

Irotas

So is it ok to just use aloe by its self? And will any strain root in water only? Or only certain genetics?

Coba

Veteran
Hi Irotas,

Me personally I would start by assuming the answer is yes to the first two questions. If at anytime the answer turns out to be no for you then explore other possibilities.

hth

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
I'm happy using aero vera and honey on my clones, one as a surfactant the other as an antiseptic,

do you mix equal portions of each...then just cut,dip,plant..or do you dip in one first,then the other after...???

perlite is almost fool proof...perfect medium for cloning...yeehaw

im trying this route now,touch of rooting powder straight into little cups of perlite..

Plain water, a Thunk in a salt shaker:

View Image

I grow micro and need only a few cuttings, so I may take 3 or 4 and
plant the best for harvest.

Good thread!

soooo you just nip off and.throw into water...???(distilled)..do you keep her under any sort of light,..??(i would imagine so..)..

been gettin pretty frustrated,usually just cut,dip(clonex),peat pellet,under a dome, and it was history,always would do VERY WELL...but fuckin A these last few times have been down right sad...clones look fine,no.wilting drooping,but when i would grab the stem to see how snug they were rooting wise,they just pull/slip out...usually there all snug so i get a feel for not much longer,till they would poke thru...but.shit not these last few rounds..maybe me moms aint up to shape enough,they seem in good.enough health,and the cuts seem healthy..and im doing anything different from what i WOULD ALWAYS DO...ohh well we wait and see,i guess..

expealadocious

Are you getting stem rot issues or anything man?
Although you need the humidity kind of high, they also need fresh air and decent lighting.
You could always try a bigger chamber like a clear tote or something.
I use an old monotub from the mush days... worls great for larger clones too.
The added room with holes helped me alot

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
Are you getting stem rot issues or anything man?
Although you need the humidity kind of high, they also need fresh air and decent lighting.
You could always try a bigger chamber like a clear tote or something.
I use an old monotub from the mush days... worls great for larger clones too.
The added room with holes helped me alot

always use this little aquarium light that I HAVE ALWAYS USED...
as well ill use a bigger tupperware container also,if i take bigger.clones...
like i said maybe moms aint up to full 100% health??? maybe,they look fine to me as well as the cuts seem plenty healthy but they just dont take...im gonna nip a few more,use a different rooting compound and.see what happens...got some in perlite now, gonna throw some in the peat pellets again thou,and dome em...

St. Phatty

I dug up 2 batches of wild raspberries from underneath the pool deck.

In the first batch, yield was 3/6.

In the second batch, 2/6.

In both cases, the plants were bare-rooted, and put in a tub full of water over-night. At that point, they still had leaves etc.

Then I got a bunch of 1 to 3 gallon pots and my thick gloves (for handling thorny things) and added the dirt.

With the second batch I made a solution of Rootone-in-water and poured it on the roots about a week after the initial rough treatment.

I'm impressed any of them take. When they were in the tub, they were also in direct sun. I put a clear tarp over them to keep the humidity up, but still.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Judging by the label in Google images Oregonism has very low counts of endomycorrhizal and high counts of Trichoderma, therefore the benefit from this product is likely due to the Trichoderma infection and the bacteria included.

This is not really specific to the subject of cloning but there are threads in the forum which discuss this.

In the other thread someone had hypothesized that endomycorrizal fungi (AM) infection would not take place in an aerocloner set up. I would tend to think that initial infection could take place based upon the proximity to roots and the phytochemicals (proteins/enzymes) released by roots (& germinating seeds) which stimulate spore germination and infection.

Of course planting into a nutrient composed medium would be necessary quite soon for fulfillment of mycorrhiza (symbiosis). The question then remains whether the infection can continue in a hydroponic environment or must the growing environment be solids based (or soil).

I have seen evidence of Trichoderma encapsulation of roots in a hydroponic environment but don't know about AM continued mycorrhiza. This makes for some intriguing research.

EDIT: Briefly here is some research which indicates AM infection continues in a hydroponic - aeroponic environment. I would guess that spore count and isolation of AM species is key for success.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile...aestivum_L/links/54c7db4f0cf238bb7d0b7c73.pdf

Glomus mosseae maintained a colonisation of 66% in wheat plants grown in hydro- ponics using LANS but a much lower colonisation when KHNS medium was used.

Most likely, the poor colonisation of wheat with G. mosseae using KHNS medium under these experimental conditions was due to the relatively high P concentration in this medium, which inhibited root colonisation.

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Nice thread, wish I had seen it first rather than the seed flat method. Trying to pull roots through the drainange holes once was more than enough to see the fail there. I intended to do flats of loose perlite this time but... lazy set it and it was particularly nippy last night. Didn't want to go muck around washing perlite in zee cold. Ineptly lazy should be written on the ol' resume with invisible ink.

"Oh but good sir, I think if you flash a lighter here you'll see I made note of this habit of mine before we even had the interview."

Latest posts

Latest posts