What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lets talk micro taining......

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
This is how i train my plants. I grow seedlings in beer cups and as they grow i tie the main branch around the cup to make a spiral as shown in this drawing. So when i transplant them in the 3 gallon pots they are short and bushy thus Giving all the flowers a chance to grow the same size.. Then i train the branches around the pot when i switch to 12-12.
This method also works in vertical gardens you're just trying to grow around the pole.

whats your method of training.
1000022480.jpg

20231104_012414.jpg

20231104_012500.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
This is how i train my plants. I grow seedlings in beer cups and as they grow i tie the main branch around the cup to make a spiral as shown in this drawing. So when i transplant them in the 3 gallon pots they are short and bushy thus Giving all the flowers a chance to grow the same size.. Then i train the branches around the pot when i switch to 12-12.
This method also works in vertical gardens you're just trying to grow around the pole.

whats your method of training.
1000022480.jpg

20231104_012414.jpg

20231104_012500.jpg
Thanks for the info Cheese very interesting.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I seem to be getting the hang of this spiral training method. The plants are getting nice and trained the way i wanted for this space. I dont want them too big too soon. Also, i'm surprised I was able to keep them this healthy for this long in lil beer cups without overwatering or something. Hopefully they can stay strong for a couple more weeks until I can put them in the three gallon pots.
20231112_115826.jpg
20231112_115925.jpg
20231112_115957.jpg
20231112_120022.jpg
20231112_120059.jpg

singlecoiled

So, here are some shots of a newbie trying different training methods. First grow is a bend, the second mainlining/manifold.

The bend method got a little out of control for me, but harvested more bud.

The Mainline/manifold pattern produced less bud, but the quality was much better. I prefer this method as you have better control of your plant and all the tops stay equal. Very consistent quality and very potent smoke..

18"x18"x36" Spider Farmer SF-1000
Happy Frog and Dynagrow Foliage Pro--- (used a little bloom later on but mainly just Foliage Pro)

Bend: Early flower. Too much popcorn/lower buds, I had to prune all the lesser buds at a bad time, it got a little out of control. Harvest, a little over 2 ounces dry--but a lot of lesser bud. (popcorn)

IMG_0606.JPG

6_24side.JPG

Mainline: Early flower (made mistakes, I can do better and am trying another mainline run now..) Harvest around 1.5 ounces dry, very potent and consistent.

Week 9.1.JPG

Week 10.JPG

After topping, the new chutes (2) grow 3 nodes each vertically, I cut off the second node, leaving 1 and 3 on both sides for a total of 8 colas. This pattern allows for a perfect circle. This is the basic pattern I'm experimenting with now and how it looks at harvest time.

Guide that I followed.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

main-lining-marijuana-example-of-hub-sm.jpg

Last edited:

singlecoiled

Lets see some intersting training patterns pics all ! Ive googled it and there isnt much out there. I know some of you folks have some cool tricks up your sleeves..

Love the bend and twist the OP put up, looking for more good stuff.

singlecoiled

singlecoiled

Yeah,do I need to get a good Vegetation solution so these ladies can take off.
Your plants look great man, maybe a little light green but still looking healthy.Your stems are a nice healthy green, thats a good thing. (I'm not always so lucky)..

I think I paid 12 bucks for my foliage pro at a garden store. That one bottle has lasted me 5 grows now and I've only used 1/3 of the bottle. Foliage Pro covers your Micro needs as well, even Calcium and Magnesium. A bottle of Cal Mag "just in case" isnt a bad idea if your using RO water or something with low calcium (used very lightly with foliage pro)

Another one that has worked well for me is this. I only applied this one time and my plants went nuts. I'd have a tough choice choosing between Foliage Pro or this as both have worked very well for veg. The Veg nation is very cheap, you arent paying for water and it will last a very very long time.

Either one will green up your plants fast...

Veg Nation Dry

Here is my plant now starting to form a circle. I used rabbit poop from my pet rabbit and might be getting a little too much nitrogen, I'm not sure. I had to defoliate a lot here, the plant was getting way too bushy and covering the nodes.

_DSC6109.JPG

Last edited: