What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's talk coco slabs with drippers

Thunder84

Gaiusmarius:

Thanks for all the info. Much appriciated!

Just a copule of quick questions:

-How come you flush your slabs when they are new? What happens if you don't?

-If you are on recirculating coco slab drip system. Is it enough to flush the slabs with pure water (to waste) for five minutes, like once every 7-10 days?

Thunder84

Thanks to everybody for all the information in this thread!

-If you are on recirculating coco slab drip system. Is it enough to flush the slabs with pure water (to waste) for five minutes, like once every 7-10 days?

-Gaiusmarius, you wrote that you flush your coco slabs when they are new. How come? What happens if you don't?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Gaiusmarius:

Thanks for all the info. Much appriciated!

-How come you flush your slabs when they are new? What happens if you don't?

when i started this thread coco slabs often had quite high salt levels when new, so we used to pre flush them. now the slabs return ec when new is so low that no pre flushing is needed.

of course it's the quality of coco that matters in the end, so measure the return ec and then decide if you should flush or go straight to nutrients.

the length of flush depends on how fast the water gets to the coco. when i do a flush for maintenance, half way through flowering phase, i will need to run a whole tank of water through the system to get the ec level down to reasonable levels. because i recirculate the nutrients, the flushes every few weeks are important.

flushing is best done with plain ph corrected water with some zym product in it to help dissolve the salts faster. there are also flushing agents you can use, i don't have any experience with special flushing products myself.

if you only have a few plants it's a lot faster to do a quick flush by hand watering from the top, it will flush that coco out super well if you use a watering can and catch the run off to dump it. flushing by dripper can take a good hour or more. in a big setup or with lots of plants, it's easier to flush by pump.

Thanks to everybody for all the information in this thread!

-Gaiusmarius, you wrote that you flush your coco slabs when they are new. How come? What happens if you don't?

what i do is run my pump until the water is gushing back out the bottom every time i have to fill my tank. i do this after adding zym and ph minus and nothing else. once the coco is saturated with water evenly, i will stop the pump and add the A&B to my desired ec level. but as well as this you need to do a big flush every 4 to 5 weeks, big flush means like explained above, let the pump run till the water that is coming out the bottom has a low ec level again.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
A quick question;- what temperature should my rez be at?

you want any temp between 15° and 25° but they will be fine even if it gets hotter. the coco coir is an amazing buffer against water temp damage. the only thing i ever add is a heater in winter to stop the water getting too cold. basically when the pump only has to run a few minutes a few times a day, there is no heat generated by the water pump to speak of, so this make managing water temp for coco really simple and easy. no water chiller needed, nor air stone.

Thunder84

Thanks for the answers Gaiusmarius!

Just one quick question about flushing: Does it matter if the water you flush with is warm, moderately warm or cold?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
ideally speaking it should be room temp (20°), but even if it's a bit cold, by the time it get's pumped on to the table in the black hose and then on to the thin drip lines it gets warmed up a bit. so i normally just use cold tap water. if you are flushing with a watering can direct, you should not use ice cold water, as i said ideally the water reaching the root zone is 16 to 20 degrees. basically over the years i have noticed that coco is very flexible. even very cold water won't stop things from working, some situations thats all you have and believe me it works just fine.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you need to be a member for 1 week and have 25 normal posts to get pm permissions, this is to stop spammer accounts. but this thread is ideal for questions.

yelovman

Hi gaiusmarius i wondring i have a atami it's build for Coco, but i cant use those slabs you, use in you dripper system, because i'm a newbie i will by Coco who are finished washed, for salt. and mixed With som small nutrient, just keep my ph on a normal Hydro Level betveen 5,8 6,2 in seedling or clones. Then start to give them more when you beginning to now them, as Your personaly Project, i look forward to see more from you, about Coco thanks for fine article

yelovman

coco

coco

WHAT I HAVE JUST ASKING QUEETIONS HOVE I CAN GROW IN COCO BECAUSE I A WHAT YOU GAYS CALL Å NEWBIE. i'M FROM nORWAY I HAVE AN aTAMI 8 HOV OFTEN SHOULD I WATER THEM, SEEDLINGS HOW HIGH PH EC ALL THIS QESTIONS, IT'S ABOUT OR BE A FREAKS

yelovman

HI YOU GAYS I WILL TRY AND AIR COOLED REFLEKTOR CONNECTED WITH 20 TO 25 CM AIR VENTILETION TO CANNA FILTER. BETWEEN THE LAMP NEW AIR CONECKTED WIRE OUT THE TOP TO A FAN. HVAT ARE YOY EXPERT THIK ABOUT THIS SYSTEM

yelovman

120 120 * 200 HIGH TENT, I NOW THE AIR VETILATION WIRE SHOULD BEEN STRAIGHT AWAY BUT I HAVE SEEN MANY WHO HAVE A BEND ON THE AIR WIRE, SO THEY HAVE PLACE TO COCO FILTER, THATS I KIND OF PROBLEM I HAVE BUT DO THIS DOSENT RELLY MATTER, AS LONG YOUR FAN IS POWERFUL, WOULDENT THE AIR BEEN BLOW AROUND THE AIR FILTER INSIDE IT AND BLOW AROUND THE CARBON FILTER, THEN INSIDE IT BETWEN THE AIR WIRE CONNECTED TO COOL LAM THEN CONNECTED TO THE OTHER SIDE OF LAMPWith air wire i Call it thatt from norway excuse ME THEN OUT TO A FAN WHO ARE EXTRA POWERFUL WITH TEMP REGULATOR AND ALL IT NEDDS. ITS THIS THIS SOMETHING YOU WOULD USE SELF. P.S PLEASE ANSWER

mack 10

Veteran
WHAT I HAVE JUST ASKING QUEETIONS HOVE I CAN GROW IN COCO BECAUSE I A WHAT YOU GAYS CALL Å NEWBIE. i'M FROM nORWAY I HAVE AN aTAMI 8 HOV OFTEN SHOULD I WATER THEM, SEEDLINGS HOW HIGH PH EC ALL THIS QESTIONS, IT'S ABOUT OR BE A FREAKS

seedlings only need a low ec. around 0.4 ec. pH 5.8/6.0
water them after the coco dry's out a bit.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
120 120 * 200 HIGH TENT, I NOW THE AIR VETILATION WIRE SHOULD BEEN STRAIGHT AWAY BUT I HAVE SEEN MANY WHO HAVE A BEND ON THE AIR WIRE, SO THEY HAVE PLACE TO COCO FILTER, THATS I KIND OF PROBLEM I HAVE BUT DO THIS DOSENT RELLY MATTER, AS LONG YOUR FAN IS POWERFUL, WOULDENT THE AIR BEEN BLOW AROUND THE AIR FILTER INSIDE IT AND BLOW AROUND THE CARBON FILTER, THEN INSIDE IT BETWEN THE AIR WIRE CONNECTED TO COOL LAM THEN CONNECTED TO THE OTHER SIDE OF LAMPWith air wire i Call it thatt from norway excuse ME THEN OUT TO A FAN WHO ARE EXTRA POWERFUL WITH TEMP REGULATOR AND ALL IT NEDDS. ITS THIS THIS SOMETHING YOU WOULD USE SELF. P.S PLEASE ANSWER

yeah man i know the whole gay thing is in nowadays, but we ain't all gay bro, lol.

anyway i'm having a hard time understanding your question about the ventilation. maybe you should try the Swedish section of the forum. there are many experts on ventilation on this site and it will be much easier to understand if it's in your language.

Miraculous Meds

Much respect Gaiusmarius, Ive lurked on this and head and bonecarvers threads for a long time and borrowed many ideas. Thank you for the efforts. Ive tried pronouncing your name in my head so many times it hurts. Does it mean something or just random name.

Weeded1s

Carbon filter ..to ducting or wire as u call it...to hood..to ducting or wire as u call it ..to exhaust fan..to ducting . I prefer fan outside of grow area/tent. You want to suck the air out not blow . Not sure if thats what you were asking. Bends reduce the exhaust rate so the the least amount of bends the etter air flow.