What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's see and hear about your sick plants!!

Mellowsunset

Thanks for coming back so quickly guys.

Germination was in a small pot, roots appeared at the bottom holes so that prompted the premature transplant. Failed to test ph of soil before transplant, organic mix supplier said should be 6 to 6.5 after one month hot cook.

During transplant the seedling soil was dusted with mycorrhiza. First water was little, just around the area where the seedling went in, rather than on it. The whole pot looked very dry in a few days, temp in room at constant 82. I read a big water every 3 or 4 days is better than little daily. So around 1.5 litres 6.5 400 ppm want into each 25 ltr pot, just a little run from that. 2 days later they begin to turn.

Crooked8 they were heavy at water time, lighter now but still damp soil for sure, lots of drainage so not logged. I was waiting for a bounce back but the bad colour continues to rise up the leaves.

I annoyed with myself because they were doing well til I interacted, feel like I'm abusing them rather than loving them.

Mellowsunset

Newbie problems

Newbie problems

Hi folks

Guess this happens all the time with newbies. I tried to work it out myself from comparing online leaf colour, pattern and turn up/down, can't resolve and babies getting worse.

White Widow feminised seeds from Royal Seeds Spain
Temp 26-28, humidity 60%
Fresh air constant circulation
Bio Bizz Light only to germinate
Bio Bizz Light with organic mix added and cooked for 4 weeks - 30 litre pot, 2 inches of clay pebbles at bottom of pot, few hand fulls mix in soil.

4 germinated well in small pots Bio Bizz Light (nothing added), grew to 2 inches looking healthy. Transplanted to large pots and watered with pure RO - first mistake. Stopped growing lower leaving became yellow, turning brown, then curling. 4-5 days later looked better and growth returned. Then realised pure RO was ph 6.0 and stripping calcium and mag. Watered with RO ph up to 6.5, cal/mag added - EC 0.6 (400 ppm). Growth stopped, oldest leaves again turning yellow - brown - curling - starting at the tip working back to main stem then effecting next leaves up. I read about flushing, but can't find what ph and ppm to flush with?

I know I've locked or burned out in some way but can't tell from online pics exactly how I'm hurting them. It's 6 days and the yellow brown attack continues up the plant. Pics attached of the ladies and stuff I've used.

Always grateful

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dilute some low fat milk down in water, say 1 part milk to 5 parts water.

Drench well and then stop watering for a couple of days.

Mellowsunset

Great, so all's not lost.

I have 4 x 25 ltr pots. Would 1 ltr mix per pot be ok? 200 mls low fat 800 water? Tap 7.0 or RO adjusted after milk added?

Many thanks.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great, so all's not lost.

I have 4 x 25 ltr pots. Would 1 ltr mix per pot be ok? 200 mls low fat 800 water? Tap 7.0 or RO adjusted after milk added?

Many thanks.

Sure, that should work. Just use RO. Don't adjust anything.

You have a pH and EC meter?

Can you test your runoff?

Mellowsunset

Sure, that should work. Just use RO. Don't adjust anything.

You have a pH and EC meter?

Can you test your runoff?

Yes, I have a Bluelab that measures both. Should get runoff putting a litre in. That will give me proper soil reading to manage things better from here?

DJwikidDnB

Kola damage

Kola damage

No sure what exactly is destroying my bud. Either caterpillars or those damn figeater beetles. Help please.

Bud_Greenleaf

Thanks for coming back so quickly guys.

Germination was in a small pot, roots appeared at the bottom holes so that prompted the premature transplant. Failed to test ph of soil before transplant, organic mix supplier said should be 6 to 6.5 after one month hot cook.

During transplant the seedling soil was dusted with mycorrhiza. First water was little, just around the area where the seedling went in, rather than on it. The whole pot looked very dry in a few days, temp in room at constant 82. I read a big water every 3 or 4 days is better than little daily. So around 1.5 litres 6.5 400 ppm want into each 25 ltr pot, just a little run from that. 2 days later they begin to turn.

Crooked8 they were heavy at water time, lighter now but still damp soil for sure, lots of drainage so not logged. I was waiting for a bounce back but the bad colour continues to rise up the leaves.

I annoyed with myself because they were doing well til I interacted, feel like I'm abusing them rather than loving them.

You might consider even lower TDS with the cal/mag. You just really want to go easy on nutrients, especially early on when they're basically seedlings.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Dilute some low fat milk down in water, say 1 part milk to 5 parts water.

Drench well and then stop watering for a couple of days.

Hey slow,
Could you speak on this?
What do you think his problem is, and how will the milk fix it?
Much respect :tiphat:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey slow,
Could you speak on this?
What do you think his problem is, and how will the milk fix it?
Much respect :tiphat:

Good question. I think his salts are high and he has been fertilizing. And highly likely overwatering.

Milk is an amino acid form of calcium, phosphorus and other elements. The high Ca content buffers salts.

Go read (at least part) of the slownickel lounge. It is closed, but if you start at page 1 you will get a good idea. Watch the video.

Mellowsunset

Crazy runoff

Crazy runoff

Good question. I think his salts are high and he has been fertilizing. And highly likely overwatering.

Milk is an amino acid form of calcium, phosphorus and other elements. The high Ca content buffers salts.

Go read (at least part) of the slownickel lounge. It is closed, but if you start at page 1 you will get a good idea. Watch the video.

Jeez slow

What a mess up on my first go. Run off measured 5.4 EC 9.4, frightening. I had to put 3 ltrs in the 25 ltr pot to get runoff, is it ok is put 3 in the others or just the 1 we said? You wrote let them be for a few days after, is that still the case with really bad numbers like this?

I really am very grateful, searched and searched out there and couldn't find the right guidance.

Many thanks

Mellowsunset

Too true.

Runoff from slow remedy was 5.4 4700 ppm. I cooked an organic mix soil custom made for these ladies, how on earth is the ppm crazy high.

Bud_Greenleaf

Hi Mellow. As one noob to another, you might try going with a soil mix that basically doesn't need anything but pure water until the flowering phase. I'm planning on doing this for my next grow. I'm thinking maybe about 1/3 Fox Farm Ocean Forest, plus 1/3 Fox Farm Happy Frog, and 1/3 Perlite. Mix it up real good and plant your seedlings in there - it has all the nutrients you need for at least the first 4-5 weeks, from what I've heard. Just add pH adjusted pure clean water. I figure, the less I can mess up, the better. Don't water until the container is fairly dry (light when you lift it).

Then when it starts to flower, you can use Fox Farms Big Bloom and Fox Farms Tiger Bloom. Remember to start LOW with the nutrients, especially early on in flowering. A good rule of thumb is to start with half of what the bottle says, in terms of concentration.

Mellowsunset

Hey Bud. You've got a plan for next grow, does that mean you've had similar trouble in your setup on your first run? I had a base of light soil/peat with very little in it accepted 1/3 Perlite. The little bags pictured were added to 50 ltrs of that and cooked for 4 weeks, that was meant to be almost end to end nutrition needs with maybe some supplement in flower. After transplant they picked up well til I did the cal/mag addition. What I can't understand is the wild runoff numbers. I tested slow's remedy before watering, 6.9 going in, but 5.4 coming out. Does that mean the soil was even lower and the 6.9 brought it up a bit, or an accurate sample of what the plant is trying to deal with.

I wondering if this lot is lost, dry my tears and germinate again. In which case is the soil to be replaced or can the ph ppm be brought into line by flushing.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hi Mellow. As one noob to another, you might try going with a soil mix that basically doesn't need anything but pure water until the flowering phase. I'm planning on doing this for my next grow. I'm thinking maybe about 1/3 Fox Farm Ocean Forest, plus 1/3 Fox Farm Happy Frog, and 1/3 Perlite. Mix it up real good and plant your seedlings in there - it has all the nutrients you need for at least the first 4-5 weeks, from what I've heard. Just add pH adjusted pure clean water. I figure, the less I can mess up, the better. Don't water until the container is fairly dry (light when you lift it).

Then when it starts to flower, you can use Fox Farms Big Bloom and Fox Farms Tiger Bloom. Remember to start LOW with the nutrients, especially early on in flowering. A good rule of thumb is to start with half of what the bottle says, in terms of concentration.

The name causes confusion, but big bloom is to be used in veg and bloom.

Here is the feeding schedule.
9541def28f293017262e112ce6f795212363a6b9.jpg

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jeez slow

What a mess up on my first go. Run off measured 5.4 EC 9.4, frightening. I had to put 3 ltrs in the 25 ltr pot to get runoff, is it ok is put 3 in the others or just the 1 we said? You wrote let them be for a few days after, is that still the case with really bad numbers like this?

I really am very grateful, searched and searched out there and couldn't find the right guidance.

Many thanks

At that EC, you are better to just keep pushing water through until it gets to 2.4 or so. Get some calcium carbonate and try to make a much lighter soil next time. You have to start with high Ca and high P and work your way up with K as you grow the plant. Can't start that way. That would be the cart in front of the horse.

Start applying calcium carbonate like a light snow and wash it it. Do it three or four times. Get some bone meal if you can, bone ash. Liquid bone meal would work.

You need airspace, so much that it dries out all by itself two or three times a day. Forget those silly super soils. That is like trying to steer the Titanic! I want a speed boat that I can change my direction quickly, there is a road map and it does have some interesting corners if you want to take it to the next level.

Get some quick lime which is Ca OH or calcium hydroxide. Half a gram or so per gallon will get your pH up to 8 or so in the water to correct low pH quickly.

Gverilc

Plant dying

Plant dying

I have a problem with my plants on one spot. The same was last year, but different strain. On another spot just 50m away everything is ok. I used the same nutrients, same amount, ...

White domina (Kannabia)

Any ideas what's wrong?

T

Teddybrae

Looks to me like something in the soil is killing the roots when they grow into certain spots.

The simplest solution is not to grow there but I 'm sure you have your reasons for doing so.

The only thing I can think of trying is to load up the soil in that spot with Gypsum at 3 clenched handfuls per square meter (square yard) and water the fuck out of the area. The Gypsum may carry away whatever is poisoning the ground there. (One of Gypsum's qualities is to help drain away accumulated salts.)

Maybe best to do this when your plant is finished. If you do it now your plant will yellow for a while but it will pick up and grow again. It won't die tho' unless from drowning.

Hope that's clear ... good luck ...

(PS: If you upload pics to yr Gallery, then use the "BB Code" under the open pic to copy and paste the pic into yr post. Voila! Full page pics!)

I have a problem with my plants on one spot. The same was last year, but different strain. On another spot just 50m away everything is ok. I used the same nutrients, same amount, ...

White domina (Kannabia)
View Image View Image View Image

Any ideas what's wrong?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have yellow leaf spot septoria.

I was reading that it in the soil and I need to replace the soil.

Well I'm outside. How can I remedy the situation? I've read that you can't really cure the plant.

What can I do so that this won't happen again next year?

Latest posts

Latest posts