What's new

Lets Grow Some Outdoor Monsters

V

Veg N Out

Hi, if you use the sup r green and bone meal combo you will for sure mess it up if you add all those extra fertilizers..if you really feel the need to tweak it, come up with your own mix.

All those amendments were chosen for specific reasons to use in combination with one another. The gypsum most definitely adds ca to the cation matrix so does bone meal(calcium phosphate)..sup r green not only is a great all purpose fertilizer but it also improves the carbon to nitrogen ratio because its part sawdust..etc., the only alterations that need to be made depend on your water source, if you have water thats phing at 8.2 like me, you want to use calcium sulfate, if its closer to 6 you may want to mix calcium carbonate and calcijm sulfate..

Good luck and have fun

Nez

tom mix it is, maybe a little glacial rock dust. Thanks for posting veg, your od this year looks like its gonna be awesome. good luck to you as well

Sinkyone

That doesn't seem quite right.

I keep finding stuff like this:

"Gypsum is a fertilizer product and supplies the crop-available form of calcium (Ca2+) and sulfur (SO42-). If these forms are deficient in soil, then crop productivity will benefit if gypsum is applied."

It helps to have an idea of the soil you're mixing in when deciding whether to use dolomite, too, as some places the extra Mg is not helpful.

Gypsum contains Ca but it remains in a form not available to plants. There have been some studies done on it that found it raised the available Ca in the soil by only 1 or 2 ppm even after heavy applications. It's good for drainage and soil structure as others have pointed out but it does not provide a meaningful amount of calcium for the plant.

mapinguari

Veteran
Gypsum contains Ca but it remains in a form not available to plants. There have been some studies done on it that found it raised the available Ca in the soil by only 1 or 2 ppm even after heavy applications.

A few minutes on Google is mainly turning up stuff that says there is significant calcium in gypsum.

This is a topic of some practical importance to me, and it would help me if you those references at hand.

What does "available" mean here, is one of the main things I'm wondering. Presumably some part is more or less immediately available, while others need processing by microbeasties for plants to be able to deal with them.

What else do people out there know about this, especially those who have used gypsum in clay soils?

Nez

Shame on me for neglecting my own thread, but you guys know how it is this time of year.

Anyway I moved some dirt and made a 10x30 mound about 2 feet deep. I'm planning on putting 3 plants spaced 10 feet apart.

I will be growing 3, 5G's yellow pheno from GanjaRebelSeeds which Ganja D was gracious to let me try out. I will be amending each 10x10 space with 2x Tom Hills mix

Should be fun