What's new

Lets build a DIY fully automated controller.

vwgtiron

You can also accomplish something that could be both manually adjustable or pc controlled cheaper with a pic system. I still think it's probably cheaper and less time consuming to buy an already made system and I have programming and electrical engineering experience and all the equipment to do this sort of thing. A pic system would be the cheapest way to what you want to accomplish though, imho. If you plan to go ahead get a pic starter kit that is both usb and serial. A plc system would be less flexible but may be easier in the long run. Definitely going to be a tough project.

You could always use the accessories from the big boy packages along with your pic micro controller setup.

http://www.rollitup.org/grow-room-design-setup/196997-microcontroller-auto-adjust-temp-humidity.html

Thats kinda what I was thinking but I don't have the time for this project. Lookslike someone else is going to profit from my laziness. But in the end I will profit. Stupid humans only profit.

Carboy

You can also accomplish something that could be both manually adjustable or pc controlled cheaper with a pic system. I still think it's probably cheaper and less time consuming to buy an already made system and I have programming and electrical engineering experience and all the equipment to do this sort of thing. A pic system would be the cheapest way to what you want to accomplish though, imho. If you plan to go ahead get a pic starter kit that is both usb and serial. A plc system would be less flexible but may be easier in the long run.

Definitely going to be a tough project.

You could always use the accessories from the big boy packages along with your pic micro controller setup.

http://www.rollitup.org/grow-room-design-setup/196997-microcontroller-auto-adjust-temp-humidity.html

That's the exact opinions I got from others that know what they are talking about. No problem deferring to those that know more.

What I've taken from this thread is I've evaluated what is important for me to know and control. My conclusion was getting the information is simplistic. Take a piece of plywood, put any gauges needed there, run wire off relays to leds and add any additional readouts needed. The remote controlling is where the rub comes. I can't see how a person could do it w/o a ground up restart. I'm not willing to do that. i'm putting a webcam focussed on the board w/ a secure view. For control, call somebody or get off my lazy ass to go take care of it. I know this is not an original solution but until you pioneers get done pulling the arrows out of your backs, I believe this will work best for me.
Good luck --- I'll sure be following along CB

echo_chamber

Nice to find a thread like this. I'm working on an Arduino based controller that determines temp/humidity and adjusts my A/C, Humidifier & De-humidifier. This way the built in sensors of each unit are not fighting each other. I'm currently trying to get Arduino's serial converter to read in Max/Msp or LabView. I want to see line graphs of my temps/humidity in realtime, this is my ultimate goal :)

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

Nedermed

Stay Puft, that MisterHouse program looks easy enough for me to understand and write.
I have some basic knowledge in Java, Basic, VBE and a couple of other languages. Never used Perl before but from the examples it seems easy enough to interpret and write.
Also have a little experience with LabView but definitely not an expert.

Im trying to find some basic information on how all this hardware hooks up. I guess if I don't know this kind of basic stuff this may be a little over my head but I've been really thinking about trying to make something like this work.
If someone can help me run through this... Maybe draw up a basic schematic in paint.
Controllers, relays, sensors, how do these all hook up and connect to the computer?

... I found this from First Robotics. I'd love to see something like this but more along the lines of what we need.

I know that it has already been said that it's easier and possibly cheaper to buy one of these already made but I would love to see a DIY step by step instructional for we that love to tinker and customize.

Stay Puft

Hi NederMed,
From my understanding, with Mr.House you can write scripts to deal with almost any hardware interface you want to use. You could even attach more than 1 type of interface to the computer. (Arduino, 1-wire,I2C etc...) One of the appealing features of using Mr.House is that it is open and we could have a common software interface for various HW platforms.

When i tried this... (and failed) I was trying to basically clone/copy the Growtronix setup. The Growtronix system is a 1-wire based system that is very modular by nature. ( It is very easy to add more devices due to its buss topology.)
I did not have any problem with the hardware. It was the software setup/config that stopped me. I purchased the 1-wire hardware from Hobby-Boards.com. (Serial Interface,Temp Sensor and 8 relay PCB for approx. $100USD assembled) There are many other places you can purchase 1-wire devices. The thing I like about hobby-boards is that they provide a schematic of their products. (really helps to know what you are buying ;) )

Another option would be the weeder boards:
http://www.weedtech.com/
(don't let the name fool you! lol)

I am sure others here have some other hardware interface platforms that would be suitable.

If you want to play with Mr.House on the cheap... You could use some X10 crap to play with. I am NOT suggesting using X10 for our purposes long term! Just for testing and learning to config/setup the software. (You can probably get a X10 interface and switch module for under $30.00USD locally)

There may be some better software than Mr.House out there... I have yet to find it.
You may want to look here:
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/#Software
Since you are a JAVA person you may want to look at JHOMENET for an example of a nice dumbed-down GUI for us common folk. Unfortunately ..The project is dead/incomplete. I think the person that wrote it may be the same people that designed the Growtronix software. (small world ehh?)
If you get it going....please dumb it down and provide instructions for people like me!
Good Luck!
Puft

echo_chamber

Aurduino is an affordable and easy platform for custom controllers. The programming language for the board is "Processing" which is a Java/C+ based system and is easy to program for noobs, such as myself.

Instead of buying expensive prefabricated sensors in enclosures or in proprietary housing, you can buy the actual sensors inside the enclosures and hook them up directly to an Arduino for a fraction of the cost.

My board currently takes temp, humidity, lumen level and soil/coco moisture & temps and shows all data realtime in Labview.. I'm now in the process of wiring up 12amp breakers with heat sinks to my Arduino to control my light, dehumidifier, humidifier and fans.

Stay Puft

I agree Echo Chamber... Arduino could be a good choice too. (I have not played with it...yet)
Looks like people are already using Arduino with 1-Wire devices.
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/OneWire

And one-person realized it should have a RTC (Real Time Clock) onboard and a 1-wire interface to reduce load on the Atmel. (This should help with Rives and my own concern regarding reliability...should.) ;) IE- The Arduino should maintain basic operation even if the "Host" CPU fails. (no logging etc.)
http://code.google.com/p/gfb/wiki/OneWireShield
It is too bad the author didn't finish his/her work! (No schematic means I can not use it!...would rather make my own and know WTF is going on!)