What's new

Les Stroud is much better than Bear Grills.

terrier

true but in world war 2 the guys use to live off rashens today they are also taught to live off the land.bare grills is an example trust me.i know what i am on about i was in the the army for 15 years myself

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
true but in world war 2 the guys use to live off rashens today they are also taught to live off the land.bare grills is an example trust me.i know what i am on about i was in the the army for 15 years myself

Bro i hear ya, and in no way am i saying you dont know what ya talking about ... full :respect: for 15 years of yah life:yes:
But the SAS are the best of the Best ( i dont care what any1 says because thay are :smile:).....thay dont need ray to show them how to survive, more like the other way around......and thats what gives Bear the edge on all the other survivel guys on TV (hes been in those places in REAL life be4 TV life)

can we agree to disagree lol :yes:

keep it green
highlander

terrier

sure we can agree but what i am trying to say is bare has never been a regular soldier he was only a ta a territorial a reservist part time soldier where you have to attend twice a week for 3 hours tops if you want.i was doing 40 hours a week for 15 years but if you like him thats all that matters.its been nice chatting to you terrier.

Did any one see les on the Green channel on tv and he was building his cabin/house in the middle of nowhere Canada and everything that could of went wrong did.
Trucks sliding in to ditches and leaving lumber for his house at the airport and no one watching it to make sure it wasn't stolen lol they even had to postpone a half a year because winter hit them to hard and had to wait till summer.
They couldn't drill for well water because there was layers of stone under his property.

LES STROUD IS THE KENNY OF OUTDOORSMEN. (Kenny McCormick of South Park) He never catches/finds any food barely drinkable water. Les dies every episode if he never met up with his crew. Yes I know that Bear is way unreal and I've seen where the shooting is taken place from a paved road on Youtube. I do prefer to watch Survivorman but mainly for the humor factor. ~Vince

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^thats the point. He shows you what will, and wont kill you, and even he laughs about it. :)

Les is cool I would never shrug off any advice he gave me but then again I would do no different from Bear! But I believe we aren't talking about actual knowledge but realism and actual survivability that is being viewed after editing even though he has a crew of prob at a very minimum sound guy(1) camera guy(2) and at the very least a guy hauling extra batteries and camp gear with extra food. (extreme minimal). ~Vince

WaTerR

bear for sure . .cool nickname, accent , and he was in the multiple armed forces and practices ninjitsu(martial arts for ninjas) and not to mention he more entertaining

les stroud hasnt climbed everest for one and two who wants a guy to survive with who always plays the freaking harmonica . .now that would just get annoying

both of them are bad asses. How can you argue such an over debated and hyped deal?..it's like comparing superman to spiderman both are way above average in the bad ass league. I'll bet there isn't one person on this site that could hold a candle to either.

Yeah Bear plays it a bit safer with a crew and all. He does do the crazy stunts so maybe i'ts good to have some back up.. he's still amazing.

I love both shows. Someone above mentioned the Green Channel special with Les building his Canadian house in the wilderness..I only caught one episode...was there more than one? I'd like to see more of that stuff

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like les because he is closer to your average person then bear, so you get a more accurate picture of what to expect.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You meet loads of people in Alaska and Northern Canada just living their lives that are WAY more badass than Bear or Les,not dissing those two,I'd gladly have either guy with me in a tight spot.After you've seen a 93 year old riding his bike home with 10 gallons of water and groceries,20 + miles,3 times a week rain or shine,it kinda makes them look like tourist.

L

LolaGal

Yup, there's more than one episode of Les Stroud flies in his Alaska Home with a helicopter... lol...

B

buddymate

Bear Grylls?Entertainer,nowt else,loads of his early shows were faked,when it came to light the production team admitted it,Ray Mears is the real deal,before you shoot me down I have been to a few hairy places including the rainforest of Borneo,Hindu Kush mountains etc,I know a little about living off the land,I stayed on a Philippine island for a year fishing and growing crops,no electricity or running water,Ray knows his stuff,Bear AKA Edward is a showman.

F

fuxfish

Hello everyone.

Here is my train of thought,They are both VERY qualified survivalists,no question.Bear get's the short end of the stick because he chooses to film in a different way,and his earlier shows where,well lets say "faked" for a lack of a better word.This doesnt mean he is any "les" of a survivalist.He is acually one of the best I have ever seen.On the down side for bear he shows things on his show that should not be attempted by ANYONE less qualified than he is.He seems to show how to survive if you are already very versed in survival.Repelling a 75' cliff with nothing but a tiny rotten stick wedged in the snow as a anchor comes to mind.Or eating some of the stuff he does is something you cannot just experiment with.
Les seems to be more of a "real life" situation guru for the everyday person lost in the woods.The fact that he films his own shows is very impressive!
Myself I have been trudging all over Canada since I can remember.I am getting older now (as we all are) and my hairbrained adventures are not quite as crazy as they once were,but I still consider myself a very experienced and well seasoned woodsman.From 2 months stays in the rockies with a tent in my backpack, to 3 week rowboat adventures on the west coast of B.C.I know i cant hold a candle to these two guy's but common sense planning and a bit of knowlege about the enviornment you are entering can go a long way.
maybe someone could start a thread for us survivalist/adventure seekers to share some knowlege with eachother.

FUX:)

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I like both

Bear like stated does things differently, still does not make what he does any less hard

But seeing Les out in the wild, I wonder, how does this guy stay alive for 7 days on a few berries and a slug. The guy is the worlds worst hunter. Got a new book from him for xmas

51LYHZoDjnL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

F

fuxfish

Well I agree,he seems to be lacking hunting skills altogether.

I dont want to start bashing anyone,not my style.
I saw a Les show where he was in alaska somewhere in the middle of winter.He was attempting to snare a Showshoe hare.He was filming all the nice rabbit runs and showing how to make a snare,(he had snare wire in his pack)well,my 8 year old son makes better snares, and sets them better.I was really dissapointed by his obvious lack of trapping skills for a "expert".Needless to say he never did get a rabbit on the first night but think he got one the following day.This is the only thing I have seen him fail at. I know I could have done better,but i set hundreds of rabbit snares every year.
Other than that the dude is top notch to say the least!