What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legionnaires' caught from compost

F

firefox

Legionnaires' caught from compost

A hidden danger in the garden has been highlighted by the case of a man who contracted Legionnaires' disease from handling compost. Skip related content
Related photos / videos

Doctors discovered that the 67-year-old man was infected through a cut in his hand.
Reporting the "rare" incident in The Lancet medical journal, they said compost was known to harbour Legionnaires' bugs.
The man, described as previously fit and healthy and a "keen gardener", was inexplicably struck down by a serious fever in March.
Doctors saw him in hospital after eight days of trembling, confusion, lethargy and shortness of breath. He had a high temperature and an X-ray revealed signs of pneumonia in his left lung.
Dr Simon Patten and colleagues from the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley, Scotland, wrote: "We treated our patient with oxygen, intravenous fluids and antibiotics, but his respiratory function deteriorated, necessitating transfer to the intensive care unit for intubation."
"When we questioned the patient to find out the source of this infection, we discovered that he was a keen gardener and had lacerated his left index finger two days before the onset of his symptoms, while planting with compost," they wrote. "We presumed that this cut was the site of entry of the organism."
The patient's condition improved, and seven days later he was moved to a respiratory ward before being discharged.
Legionnaires' disease is normally caused by the bug Legionella pneumophili, which lives naturally in rivers, lakes, and reservoirs, and can also be found in man-made structures containing water such as air conditioning systems. Legionella longbeachae is a less common species first isolated from a patient in Long Beach, California. Unlike its cousin, it is mostly found in soil and potting compost. Infection by this type of Legionnaires' bug is sometimes called Pontiac Fever.
In the UK, just nine cases have been reported since 1984. L. longbeachae infections are much more common in Australia, New Zealand and Japan, where it accounts for about 30% of all cases of Legionnaires' disease. They added: "The UK Royal Horticultural Society has issued warnings about the risk of contracting Legionnaires' disease from handling compost and has announced that bags of potting compost will carry cautionary statements."

Last edited by a moderator:

hawaiiOG

wow that's crazy just think you go and do a transplant and pow your down, fuck, that is why I wear gloves when I play in the dirt.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Now this is really scary. Isn't legionaires air born? Meaning that a soil grow in the house could be really risky? It's almost enough to get me going hydro.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
don't be fightened by all the bullsh*t you read/hear!
if this were the case there would be more than a few instances of infection.
Not saying it isn't possible, just highly unlikely, as there are many pathogens in soil.
peace

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can also develop a cutaneous anthrax infection which is from dormant endospores that are present in most soils around the world sometimes in a pretty good quantity, and is probably much more prevalent than Legionnaires actually. Bat Guano is far more dangerous than handling soils and composts for the record, bats harbor some of the most dangerous rare tropical diseases on the planet like ebola for instance. Aspergillus fungal spores also can be found in most soils and is responsible for Aspergillosis in humans and can be deadly. :crazy:

Best advice get yourself some nice clean coir! :canabis:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
reading this thread, I'm really starting to resent having my grow in my bedroom. Anyone know of any ways to actively prevent the possability of any bad side effects from all this stuff? And no I dont want to start hydro or and of the unnatural ways to grow.

M

mugenbao

reading this thread, I'm really starting to resent having my grow in my bedroom. Anyone know of any ways to actively prevent the possability of any bad side effects from all this stuff? And no I dont want to start hydro or and of the unnatural ways to grow.
An enclosed space with negative air pressure would certainly help, at least against anything airborne.

You might also wish to wear gloves when actively digging around in soil, as there are a number of other things living in soil, tetanus for just one example.

For future grows, I think I'll be going with a custom soilless media such as the ones presented by Burn1. (Had already decided that for other reasons, this thread wasn't really a factor in that decision)

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Two words people - Coir & Hydroton

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If legionnaires is present in compost,, then it always has been!!!

You are more likely to catch this disease from your water taps/faucets in the home.

Hope this helps

Temperature

Temperature

[SIZE=-1]According to the CDC, Legionellosis can live in temperatures [/SIZE]between 77 and 113 °F.[SIZE=-1]The optimum temperature range for composting is between 135° -160° F.

As the temperature goes toward the higher end in an compost, it will kill off all human and plant born pathogens since they cannot biologically function in such high temperatures. It sounds like this guy did not proper maintain and turn his compost. You can even buy compost themometers to make sure your compost is hot enough.

And just to be safe, wash your hands afterwards, even if you are wearing gloves.[/SIZE]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires'_disease#cite_note-CDC-Top-10-2

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also if you are eating your compost make sure to have a few swigs of the Everclear you use to make hash with afterwards to wash your dirty mouth out :biggrin:

Jesus that is scary. Last night I was hauling in composted soil (subcool's recipe) without a dusk mask or gloves. I usually wear gloves.

The shit just got real.

How heavy duty of a dusk mask is this going to require? Would the kind that you saw on people during the H1N1 debacle? Or do I need the kind of passive dust mask for interior painting?

Jesus that is scary. Last night I was hauling in composted soil (subcool's recipe) without a dusk mask or gloves. I usually wear gloves.

The shit just got real.

How heavy duty of a dusk mask is this going to require? Would the kind that you saw on people during the H1N1 debacle? Or do I need the kind of passive dust mask for interior painting?

As long as your compost gets and stays hot enough, then you don't have to worry about about wearing a dust mask.

brownstormy

I'm honestly beyond surprised that more people are not worried about their hydro setups.. You think soil or compost is bad... Liquid is where these guys take it to the next level.

PLEASE do some digging. A res is a more than decent place for it to live and tubing or piping may heat the liquid beyond the temp maintained in the res (which is still warm enough).

UV alone won't kill it.. I'm guessing H2O2 may be all we have to combat this. Keeping the system maxed on beneficial organisms may prevent it from going nuts.. but who knows...

Please discuss!

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I not only don't wear gloves, but I don't wipe off freshly pulled carrots before chomping them either. I've always ingested a bit of earth here and there since I was too small to walk. It's probably one of the reasons I'm so much healthier than most people.

Latest posts

Latest posts