What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legal Cannabis prices

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
DqHbAbhWoAMb618.jpg%2Blarge.jpg

RMS

:smoweed:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
News reports are saying that Canadiens are running out of pot even with the high prices.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Well it is like this. NSLC has nothing to offer at this time. (choice) Some strains I have never heard of and I have no intention in researching their origins.
Homegrown :plant grow:

fatigues

Veteran
News reports are saying that Canadians are running out of pot even with the high prices.

Which tells you all you need to know about whether the governments are going to lower the price in the short to medium term.

Maple_Flail

What rec weed turns out to be? I don't think we know yet. Medical weed wasn't really an indicator of production methods over a much, much broader recreational supply where competition is very real.

And that recreational supply has not yet hits its stride where the LPs know and can predict with a high degree of accuracy all consumption patterns over the course of a year. They just don't know. And until they do, production methods will continue to be rushed, unpredictable and beyond their normalized parameters.

So it's somewhere between a panic and a clusterfuck of HOLY SHIT!! incompetence, and that is likely to be the case for at least the next 18 months -- and probably even longer than that.

Satisfying a Mass Market takes historical data and practice. And they don't have any of either. Doesn't mean that they won't get both; they will. But they don't have it just yet. Nobody does.

We also don't know what the market does and does not want. But we have a good idea from the legal US states. Edibles will be in demand, distillate will be immensely popular -- and vape pens and cartridges will fly off the shelves.

And yes, Big Corporate Weed does distillate better than small producers. That's the nature of the technology behind CO2 extraction.

As Big Corp Weed moves to distillate and edibles/drinkables, we'll see more smaller growers try to get their slice of the dried flower pie. Yes, there will be connoisseur weed. How much and at what price -- grown and harvested/processed in what precise manner? We don't know, but it probably looks a lot more like current black market weed and a lot less like flash dried and irradiated LP weed than it does now.

I do know this: at this stage, I don't trust legal weed reviews by anybody I don't personally know, face to face. I don't even trust them from longtime cannabis users on this site; because I have seen time-and-time-again, those same users online slag any and all corporate weed for the briefest and most minor of offences. And one corporation is the same as another to them. They have a philosophy -- and that philosophy does not allow for corporate weed.

I don't need to read somebody's smoke report to suspect the validity of their views is dominated by ideology. I have seen that already both here and on reddit. (Sorry)

But, at some point, the hysteria and biases will calm down and the true opinions will begin to predominate -- and we'll have a better idea of what legal weed is worth buying, if any is.

The other thing I know is that competently harvested and cured, legal home grown rec dried flower (which technically doesn't even exist yet in Canada and won't until licit cannabis seeds are for sale, somewhere in Canada) will always be better than all but the Tip-Toppest Top Shelf there is in a legal market.

So I think I'll grow some. :dance013:

Legal reviews are a joke.. they are literally all bought in one way or another...

exactly like the weedmaps dispensary review crap.. well give you an extra g or a pre roll for a favourable review crap.

Legal stuff is just a credit on your account through lift..

even if i knew the guy face to face, I wouldn't trust him on this, spent the better part of last year moving my script around to see what the rec players are working with..

Needless to say.. wasn't impressed. the flowers that show the most care and effort are always the CBD hybrids. everything else is quite inconsistent.

The extraction thing is quite a few extra step atleast of paperwork than simple setting up an LP it is separate licenses. Not all LPs are doing it with CO2, some went ETOH. But regardless I totally agree on their scale they can't help but pull ahead in those respects.

there are legal sources right now.. If you know a medical grower that is up to date on the laws(meaning has been following c45), you can acquire from them legally. Current wording of both regulations allows it.

Authorities also cannot prove where a seedling came from. that technology doesn't exist.

Black market will thrive on what the LPs have no interest with.. Currently that seems to be long flowering time varieties, Finicky crap
and for the most part currently edibles..(IMHO that will be the first to be yanked outta our hands) I see the Black market holding the crown for the long time stuff and the finicky stuff for a long time coming.

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
I have my own seeds, bought legally, in country (actually in city) as I paid sales tax. They have no right to make us wait for LP seeds. Gardening is now legal after 3 years of waiting since the electoral promise. They can stick their shady tactics where the sun don't shine!
My garden is under way, popped if u gotten, especially if you paid taxes on their purchase...

Peace

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
That is total bullshit about only allowing seeds to be bought legally that can be grown. Anyone can make seeds and grow them. Seeds from almost any plant are legally allowed to be rebred/make your own seeds. At some point that lunacy will be changed.

cr0n

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They have to make seeds legal too. It’s insane.

We need them to have more weed than customers and then we will get reasonable prices. Until then.....

fatigues

Veteran
That is total bullshit about only allowing seeds to be bought legally that can be grown. Anyone can make seeds and grow them. Seeds from almost any plant are legally allowed to be rebred/make your own seeds. At some point that lunacy will be changed.

This overstates the definition and reach of the term illicit cannabis under the Cannabis Act. It's bad, but it's not that bad.

Any plant that is grown from licit seed, or itself the product of licit seed, is licit cannabis under the Cannabis Act.

Any seed purchased from an unauthorized seller, whether in Canada or from abroad, is illicit. There is not one single seed anywhere that you can mail order -- or that you previously mail ordered before the Cannabis Act was put in to force -- that is licit cannabis.

Any seed purchased from an LP is licit.

Any seed that is given to you by someone who tells you that it is the "fruit" of licit cannabis is not illicit cannabis, if there is good reason to believe them.

1) Right now, the only source of licit cannabis seeds in Canada appears to be seeds that are sourced from ACMPR grows, and are given away by that grower to you, with the proviso that the ACMPR grower must tell you (in a reasonable way, willful blindness will not do) that it is licit.

OR

2) The same thing, except now the ACMPR grower gives you a clone, you grow it out and self-it to obtain feminized seed ,which will also be licit.

Either of those approaches will work in this current market to meet the test of licit cannabis under the Cannabis Act.

For now? That's what we have. It's not a lot, but with some effort, we can work with it.

Anybody who makes their own seed from licit cannabis and gives it away broadens the gene pool of licit cannabis. So I am all for doing this. Frequently and often.

We were talking about this the other day at our local Nugswap. The new Regulations that allow an applicant for cultivation (See Section 10(2) of the Regulation) to declare as a one-time event with their application all of their detail and particularized black market seeds makes all of those seeds instantly licit -- and whatever is grown from those seeds for sale is also licit.

It's difficult to breed seeds under the relatively modest space available for a nursery to do so. But it is possible. Better still, next year when extracts/concentrates are legal, a Nursery seed grower can grow for seeds, extract the seeds from his plants via light crushing of the flower and use a number of methods to recover the seeds. The plant material, which still has a fair bit of THC can then go into the hopper for distillate extraction so that the bud is not a write-off. This will help to recover costs more completely.

Unless it's feminized seed of course, then the silver polluted bud is a write-off. (Which is likely to be the case)

The bottom line is that the LPs growing bud for sale are not going to make seeds a priority. They consider them to be undercutting their own business model. They aren't wrong to think so. What's wrong is a government licensing schemes that set them up as the sole cultivators and purveyors of legal seeds. THAT was wrong-headed. S.10 of the Regulation was put into place, along with nursery licenses, to provide a commercial answer to this problem.

Provided that nurseries are licensed as provided for under the new regulations, we will get licit seeds available in the marketplace. But it will take longer than we would like.

Between now and then, we need to do our best to get hold of legal ACMPR seeds, breed them for seeds and then give them away far and wide, with exhortations for whoever gets them to do the same.

Sadly, for self-protection to all growers as a whole, we should probably focus on feminized seed runs, or we are going to create pollen clouds above Canadian towns and cities in August/September.

That would not be so cool.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Like i said, ridiculous.

I've never followed pot laws, and not about to start now, especially when I have hundreds/thousands of excellent seeds, some of them very unique.

fatigues

Veteran
Like i said, ridiculous.

I've never followed pot laws, and not about to start now, especially when I have hundreds/thousands of excellent seeds, some of them very unique.

But so long as others are doing it, then they will have some ostensible cover for saying that's how they got their seeds. So that the whole "problem" just withers and dies in the next 12-24 months.

And if nobody does that, then there are essentially no legal home grows in Canada. And there will be no "cover".

I'm for making it, at the least, ostensibly legal. I want Buddy Whatshisname to be able to grow his 4 plants in the backyard with no fear.

St. Phatty

I agree , and I heard on tv news the other night, the federal gov...wants to peg the price of their "legal cannabis" at $10-$13 a gram, they also want to charge $1 a gram for what they call "access tax"...wtf is that...

That sounds amazingly high.

I hope the free market buries them.

Plenty of Cannabis being sold in public places.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I'm for making it, at the least, ostensibly legal. I want Buddy Whatshisname to be able to grow his 4 plants in the backyard with no fear.

I don't care if buddy has no balls. People who follow all the laws are sheep and get what they deserve. Most laws are made to be broken.

But to each their own!

Carry on with whatever values you hold dear :)

Rush_in

In BC if your growing outside your plants can't be seen from the road (??)....not a problem for me (I'll be growing indoors)....4 plants can be a big yield when everything is dialed in....from what I've read (many forums), getting as many bits and pieces in place before I germ some seeds or acquire a couple clones....I have an inline fan and carbon scrubber (don't want to stink up the neighbourhood) and have my eye on a 315w CMH $300...built a 3x4x6' cabinet lined with reflective foam board.....and when are seeds going to be availiable....taking way too long....Too bad the government screwed up this legalization farce....but made me realize that if wanted descent or better cannabis I'm going to have to do this for myself....Hell, been smoking 50+ years and this is the 1st time I've had to be concerned about cannabis in my daily life.....Legalization....more like 'PROHIBITION..2.0'

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
While I was recently in Ontario, we paid from 7.50/ g to 14.00/G for front door delivery.
I can't complain about that.
Although the quality had quite the range, from horrible to very nice.
Houndstooth was barely smokeable, but ghost train haze was very nice. Sadly when I tried to order more, it was sold out.

The packaging is crazy, plastic containers in cardboard boxes, shipped in bubble wrap.
I hope they deal with that soon.