What's new

Legal cannabis can’t compete with ‘grey market’ sales | Vancouver Sun

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
One of the small micro producers in Ontario (North 40) recently went on Twitter to say that he was giving up on the ‘race to the bottom’ with everyone scrambling to produce the cheapest high THC bud or concentrates with no regard for taste and quality. One of his tweets was eye-opening:

"We're not available in Ontario right now due to their requirement to purchase a $15 million recall insurance policy that costs $50,000. It's a little prohibitive."

And that $50K only buys you access to one province.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most people are not even using the right genetics to find those real quality plants we use to have. All the popular stuff is good but not what I call quality. No one will find them until they start using more NLD genetics to breed with. Lots of people today have never experienced those plants from the early 80's. You need to be in your 60's to know what im talking about. Things went downhill after everything was bred with cookies. Then all the commercial legal shops started selling that stuff. Today's legal weed and lots of BM built their business on that stuff. I would take a different approach.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NLD X BLD= Is where to start looking. Finding real BLD genetics is not easy. The last plant Ive seen was Deep Chunk. That was a long time ago. Its all Hype x Hybrid stuff. I'm sure Canada is the same. Those that had $millions$ to open a legal shop did not take the time to build a room for this type of work. Its all just $$, and profits for them. The over production could be there way of putting the small batch growers out of business. Its why I'm not a supporter of big canna. They should have never allowed large crops. There should have been a cap on plant count for commercial IMO.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Most people are not even using the right genetics to find those real quality plants we use to have. All the popular stuff is good but not what I call quality. No one will find them until they start using more NLD genetics to breed with. Lots of people today have never experienced those plants from the early 80's. You need to be in your 60's to know what im talking about. Things went downhill after everything was bred with cookies. Then all the commercial legal shops started selling that stuff. Today's legal weed and lots of BM built their business on that stuff. I would take a different approach.

I guess that makes me an old fart (which I am LOL). I have had several encounter with young whipper snappers, trying to "convince" me where it is at. Son... I was in Baghdad when you were still in dad's bag. Pass! Not everything new, is actually improved. Once upon a time a joint lasted more than one session and getting high of a roach when you ran out LOL.

I was in Rio circa '77. Picked up a girl and mother nature took its course. Prior to session 2, she asked me if I smoked? I said you saw me smoking in the bar. She said, no, no and produced what was left from a thinly rolled joint, about 1/3 of what a normal joint was in the day. I went to the moon in more ways than one. Coming back to the bar, my buddy said, what did she do to you? As I was seriously fucked, in my own little world. Nuff said. Cookies buahahahahaha....

troutman

Seed Whore
Next Gold Rush

I think I should get a business plan done up and go to the bank for a loan.

Business Plan:

Me: I want money so I can grow lots of bananas.

Bank Manager: Why?

Me: Cause most people today are monkeys and I know I can sell them.

:laughing:

Bmac1

Veteran
Legal weed is often up to 6 months old before it hits the shelves. The pre rolls are 30-40% shake and PM galore causing whole crops to be irradiated for pre rolls/extracts.

Then on the BM side its PGR/Nova/pesticide city. If half the people only realized what they are smoking. Also the BM guys seeing what LSO bud is fetching and making the switch to using castings, teas, top dresses only to still use nova and pgrs on it, lol.

It really is a shit show. Cheap pounds everywhere, like $500 pounds of "good looking, strong weed".

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Next Gold Rush

I think I should get a business plan done up and go to the bank for a loan.

Business Plan:

Me: I want money so I can grow lots of bananas.

Bank Manager: Why?

Me: Cause most people today are monkeys and I know I can sell them.

:laughing:

:good:

Latest posts

Latest posts