What's new

LED's, up to the job yet?

bigtopsfinn

I've seen some nice results with LED's that use 3w and 5w emitters (industrial strength?), but the ones with 1w just don't seem to compare with HID's IMO.

pinstripe

10 years warranty? That's great! Thought HGL only had 3 years, though.

If u still use those lights in 2020 u'll be a living caveman grower :D Haha, jk. But trust me, there WILL be 3gpw+ LED grow lights by then.

EDIT: bigtopsfinn - Common misconception. "Industrial strenght" is just another sales point. LEDs give the most light per watt when run at low currents. If you increase the current by 100% you'll get maybe 70% more light. This of course depends on LED brand and at what current you start.

MeanBean

Why would I need a warranty for the lights to work? I repect your opinion but thats exactly what saying the'll burn out in 3 years is.

LED's could very well last a lifetime, they just SLOWLY lose strength...

pinstripe

Say you're veggin 18/6 for 10 years, that's 65k hrs. Only flowering is like 45k hrs. Both those numbers are a long time for hot running LEDs.

I think the lifetime of LEDs are calculated assuming a operating temperature of 25 deg C. Also remember that LED liftime > LED panel lifetime.

Anyways, what I meant with 3 years was based on a manufacturer assuming a worst case scenario - that mr.customer would run his LED panel for 3 years straight, meaning 26k hrs.
This is also the most common life time expectancy I've seen on LED panels. So 3 years of continous use is what you could be sure I'll work.

cfls are as hot as hid lights, been proved already. plus plants absolutely lov the heat, that is around 80 degrees. the above post of the 63 watt led looks great, id have to see the entire grow to believe it though, as all the rest of the led grows ive seen look nothing like this one, im skeptical.

Z

Zombo

cfls are as hot as hid lights, been proved already. plus plants absolutely lov the heat, that is around 80 degrees. the above post of the 63 watt led looks great, id have to see the entire grow to believe it though, as all the rest of the led grows ive seen look nothing like this one, im skeptical.

Okay, I don't know how (or don't have the post count yet) to post a pic in the post proper, but here's my LR#2 at day 49, was put under the 63w Penetrator on day 31 (so 18 days of LED).

I'm thrilled with my investment. Now if I could only ditch this UFO 90 so I can buy a 126w!

Attachments

• PaMS_0078.jpg
    PaMS_0078.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The trick to getting good yields and complete full maturity flowering results with LED is that you should supplement with a good full spectrum T5 or mixed higher power CFL around the LED blue/red spectrum light.

If possible go with LED that is at least 5 watt diodes, and you will see buds that rival that of HPS. Overall yield with LED is usually lower of course, but it's all relative to your needs.

LED grown herb is generally stronger in my experience than HID grown buds, potency wise it seems to have a better quality buzz and more overall well developed trichomes that are not heat or uv damaged.

This is LED grown bud (lumigrow es, supplemented with small T5's in corners, coir/hydroton media, drip hydro)

picture.php

picture.php

The trick to getting good yields and complete full maturity flowering results with LED is that you should supplement with a good full spectrum T5 or mixed higher power CFL around the LED blue/red spectrum light.

If possible go with LED that is at least 5 watt diodes, and you will see buds that rival that of HPS. Overall yield with LED is usually lower of course, but it's all relative to your needs.

LED grown herb is generally stronger in my experience than HID grown buds, potency wise it seems to have a better quality buzz and more overall well developed trichomes that are not heat or uv damaged.

This is LED grown bud (lumigrow es, supplemented with small T5's in corners, coir/hydroton media, drip hydro)

picture.php

picture.php

so you are saying those were grown under an led with each 1 being 5w? very nice results! hard to argue with. I mean, obv. the 1w are more 'efficient', but I don't see how it could hurt to get the 5watters just to throw more power into a given area.

est1977

i just bought 8 led lights 4 318w and 4 600 w Leds im keeping a journal so pop in and check it out . I've been growing for along time and average 4oz a plant with hid's I'm anxious to see how this Grow turns out I'm running the equivalent of 15k par watts I'm pretty sure we will see a substantial harvest with that much wattage.As for how cool they run you can keep your hand on a light i even have plants growing into them i will take pics when i get home

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, I am saying the emitters themselves: 5 watts minimum I think to really get dense buds. With the very high powered LED's you cannot let the buds get up into the lights because it bleaches the shit out of them and they turn white, gotta give them at least a few inches of space. Also, as you get up into the higher powered LED units, there is heat. Not nearly as much as HID but you definitely are producing heat, along with giant buds. :joint:

Mr.Bigbud

Hello Est1977, how much did those lamps set you back? Your not one of those bankers we keep hearing so much about are you?! spending your £1,000,000 bonus on LED's!! Fair play though, I will be looking forward to see how they measure up to your HID grows. Sotf420, your buds look good dude! Are you saying that LED's are just not good enough by themselves just yet, and need the supplimental CFL or T5's to work well?!

I am currently using 2 UFO LED and a 400 HPS together....I endorse LED and I know you can grow descent buds with led only, but if i had to choose one it would be... ......HPS, sorry.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
For veg I would say LED alone is fine, but for full flowering response there are some key wavelengths that most LED units do not produce (or not in enough intensity of) to promote a full & non-delayed flowering result in the cannabis plant. With a Lumigrow Es and T5 24" inch tubes in the corners of a grow tent the buds you see above started within 10-12 days of the light cycle change and finished fully in just about 56 days total of 12/12. Many growers report delayed flowering, sparse lanky flowers, or flowering taking much longer using straight LED (usually the lower wattage units), if you supplement with a decent CFL or two, or some 6400k T5 tubes around the perimeter of your garden you most likely will not have those issues and your buds will fully mature and fill out nicely on par time with HID grown plants. I do not believe you can get "equal" yields from LED as of yet but you can get close, and the quality & potency is definitely there. Less heat, very minimal IR signature, and far less fire risks are just a few of the benefits of growing with LED. :joint:

Mr.Bigbud

Thanks Sotf420 for your responce. The general feeling seems to be that LED's are good for veg, but are not quite up to flowering dense buds just yet. I hope that by the time they are good enough the technology will be alot cheaper, they just cost too much now to be worth it. TalkingMonkey, have you got your 400w HID up top and LED's round the side? Or is it all lighting from above? The reason I ask is that I can see these LED's being quite useful low down round the sides of a room because the bottom foot of a plant is always the bit that needs more light. HID up top and LED round the sides, I just need £600 to spend on LED's now!!

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
I have just in the past month seen 2 led grows that really impressed me, one today even. For the dude who said," show him the light! " one was I think 4x4 or somewhere abouts from LEDgirl, She pulled some weight!

What up MB? Keep up the good work buddy!

stoney419

I just seen a buddy's grow and he had 4 4x8 tables pushed together with 2 300 wtt LEDs on each table on a mover on except on one he had 2 600s on a mover an the LED ones were just a big as the 2 600s he was on week 3 I'll know forsure in 6 weeks when the come down

Mr.Bigbud

Nice one stoney419, keep us updated mate. Would he let you post pics? It would be nice to see the set-up, it sounds like a good'un! Did you say he had 2x600w HID's and now he's swapped for 2x300w LED's? LED manufacturers always claim that a 300w LED panel is equal to a 600w HID, so it will be interesting to see how close to the truth that claim is!

stoney419

Ya he has replaced 3 tables out of 4 with 2 300 wtt LEDs the one still has 2 600s he's not into posting pics but if it works out I'll set up something ad do a thread