What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED vertical scrog

Akss

Lol sometimes i think my thumb is index finger is more accurate than some of the hygrometers ive bought.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just because something is old school doesn't mean it doesn't work! every single person i know that has a sealed room with fancy mini splits and dehueys and what not has had more than one equipment failure that messed up entire crops...even if it was something as simple as a pH pen being off much less having to replace a mini split mid-crop...

not to mention all the people i know running larger spaces invariably their buds look great but are always over-dry...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I like my RH at about 45-48% when they are drying. I start at a little lower than that to get the moisture down quick so the out side dries out little at first to stop mold but then bring it up to that. But that is my wall hanging RH meter which has a spring in the back. So it may not be accurate since I have bent the spring by hand. It is just the reading I like on that when I am hanging them.

But when I put it in the jar I like it a little dry to the touch but when you squeeze it it compresses but bounces back. Not so dry it crumbles or keeps its shape when squeezed. On my caliber IV meter it is 52-55. The meter could be off slightly but that is about where I like it. But like Unc it is kind of a hands thing that you must feel for. I mostly use the caliber IV to make sure the jars don't all of a sudden get to wet because the inside of the bud is wetter than I thought.

And as far as the weight of the stem I was just getting the water out of the stem and bud both. So not a finished weight but a water loss amount.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I don't buy Bovida's either. I would spend a fortune on them is I had to keep buying them. And if you smoke you know what you like and that is what you should aim for.

DunHav`nFun

I gotta say IME is that the kiddies that got taught from the pot snobs in Cali that started this bullshit about Boveda`s back when their pot snob ass adapted the norm of 62% being the Be all end all storage number for pot sealed in ANY container cuz no anaerobic activity would occur so long as no extreme heat or cold issues ensued ….and why ?.....about the time Dispensaries started taking off in the late 90`s , Cigar stores started poppin up on every corner as well......so what happens ?......

Cigar afficianado`s said it`s so for the fancy ass humidors and wine cellars in richville so it`s GOT TA BE SO with dope right ?......wrong......I stand by pot being 80% water as I`ve always learned and never questioned......I never used anything other than feel and yrs/runs under my belt for when my shit was ready , and when stems snapped I bagged and tagged the shit , and out the door it went with nothing but praise and begging for more.....that said.....

I got told about the hardwood moisture meter when I started indoors back in the mid 80`s , and since I already had 1 being in residential construction , I tried it.....and guess what.....it was as close as my stem snapping old head hippie ass science was , so I went with it and never looked back...…also.....

As stated earlier , I`m SO sure nobody that grew weed in Cali was gonna bitch about the Boveda`s becoming the standard of stored dope as long as the shit wouldn`t mildew , mold , or rot ,, and guess what....it`s the standard of the industry now.....and they make more per unit....off water.......go figure.......Never liked to smoke wet weed.....I`m so sure ya`ll don`t either...…anyways.....

My 2 centavos from all those yrs.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: ……..

Last edited:

420ish

i like the weight of 62%rh but like to smoke 58 to 60%.my stuff at 58 to 60 is not squishy.stems snap nice and joints burn evenly.i do loose 78% to water weight ,some strains more like 82%.todays weigh in had me almost an oz off my formula.last week was exactly spot on for that batch but was a different strain.my biggest problem is when they dont finish and i have to travel for work.4 days later when i get home will have it usually crumbly.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
i like the weight of 62%rh but like to smoke 58 to 60%.my stuff at 58 to 60 is not squishy.stems snap nice and joints burn evenly.i do loose 78% to water weight ,some strains more like 82%.todays weigh in had me almost an oz off my formula.last week was exactly spot on for that batch but was a different strain.my biggest problem is when they dont finish and i have to travel for work.4 days later when i get home will have it usually crumbly.

When that happens if it is not to bad I will wet the floor to raise the humidity a little. Some times I have to do it several times. But the buds will rehydrate. Kind of a art. You have to watch it so you don't go to far and get them to wet.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I guess you guys want to know the total on the weight. So I got 1543.8 grams total which is 54.5 ounces. So a little more than the three pounds I said I would get.

It took me 136 minutes to rough trim and hang all three plants. It took me 396 minutes to final trim all three plants. So a total trim time of 532 minutes.

Total trim time was 8.87 hours. That works out to 6.14 ounces per hour.

Here is the break down of each plant.

PLANT #1

542.8 grams 19.15 ounces
Rough trim and hang 46 minutes
Final trim 128 minutes
Total trim time 174 minutes
6.6 ounces per hour trimmed

PLANT #2

496.0 grams 17.5 ounces
Rough trim and hang 41 minutes
Final trim 126 minutes
Total trim time 167 minutes
6.29 ounces trimmed per hour

PLANT #3

505.0 grams 17.81 ounces
Rough trim time 49 minutes
Final trim time 142 minutes
Total trim time 192 minutes
5.57 ounces trimmed per hour

If you want to add in the time I spent removing fans that will lower the amounts slightly. But It will not be much lower. As mentioned in the beginning of the thread I do a heavy trim in the beginning so that I don't have much larf and the buds are denser. The third plant had some shading at the top and it shows in the time it took to trim that plant.

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
I guess you guys want to know the total on the weight. So I got 1543.8 grams total which is 54.5 ounces. So a little more than the three pounds I said I would get.

It took me 136 minutes to rough trim and hang all three plants. It took me 396 minutes to final trim all three plants. So a total trim time of 532 minutes.

Total trim time was 8.87 hours. That works out to 6.14 ounces per hour.

Here is the break down of each plant.

PLANT #1

542.8 grams 19.15 ounces
Rough trim and hang 46 minutes
Final trim 128 minutes
Total trim time 174 minutes
6.6 ounces per hour trimmed

PLANT #2

496.0 grams 17.5 ounces
Rough trim and hang 41 minutes
Final trim 126 minutes
Total trim time 167 minutes
6.29 ounces trimmed per hour

PLANT #3

505.0 grams 17.81 ounces
Rough trim time 49 minutes
Final trim time 142 minutes
Total trim time 192 minutes
5.57 ounces trimmed per hour

If you want to add in the time I spent removing fans that will lower the amounts slightly. But It will not be much lower. As mentioned in the beginning of the thread I do a heavy trim in the beginning so that I don't have much larf and the buds are denser. The third plant had some shading at the top and it shows in the time it took to trim that plant.

fuck yea ichy...thats a crushing dude....awesome and congrats dude.....thats killer buddy...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Thanks Buckets.

I took some pictures to show how I can trim that fast. The first is a ounce and 10 grams. It is on a scale in a cottage cheese container. I placed a cottage cheese container next to it so you can judge the size. To the right is also a 3x5 card that I keep my my running totals on.

Finally here are four pictures of different buds on the scale. Next to each is a quarter to judge sizes. The weight is for just the bud because the scale has been tared for the quarter.

You can see some rather heavy buds that are over a quarter ounce and some average sized buds. I also got a sizable amount of slightly smaller buds as well. But looking at the weight of these buds you can see how fast the weight adds up with these sized and density of buds.

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Thanks for the super detailed harvest report! Those nugs look great, and really dense:) it would make more sense if the quarter was 25mm, WTF?